Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Koni steering damper (stabilizer) 76-1099 (APRIL FOOLS)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjalau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratwell, a little help? I can't edit this topic, but I suspect that editing it to say "WAS" april fool might lend an air of credibility.

Seriously, the dampers exists, there are plenty of people on this site who have seen mine, the box, the old one, and there are three others who now have new ones.

Though I am amused that some people think that I have that kind of Photoshop skills. Smile

Nuff said.

-P
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^--Uh, huh, sure Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

File this under "no good deed goes unpunished".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we live close by so I'll be taking some pic's that I'll post to put the skeptics to rest Very Happy
Peter may not be good with photoshop but i seen what you can do with a lathe(cough Koni sweat shop in the basement uncough) Shocked ...nice grommets btw
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
dogcoves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: Here's the final word from Lee at Koni North America (859) 586-4100) technical support. Yes a Koni 76-1099 Steering Damper is made for a classic VW bus, classic VW bug, classic Porsche. Lee Jokingly said, "Do Not use it for a shock replacement and you will be fine." Funny guy. If you need more proof call Lee at Koni support and get the facts. -- Mike

My Past Volkswagens:
1958 karmann ghia
1963 Beetle
1963 Westfalia
1966 Westfalia
1970 Beetle
1970 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the best price on it so far here. classicandspeedparts.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=41&products_id=159&osCsid=0cebd5d3aa5bfe65cd1d07d2ee1502ad Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
dogcoves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
Found the best price on it so far here. classicandspeedparts.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=41&products_id=159&osCsid=0cebd5d3aa5bfe65cd1d07d2ee1502ad Cool

That's a great deal $119. plus $10. shipping --- that's $40. cheaper than Peter's uncle charged us. Go for it!
http://classicandspeedparts.com/index.php?manufact...978734b4b5

My Past Volkswagens:
1958 karmann ghia
1963 Beetle
1963 Westfalia
1966 Westfalia
1970 Beetle
1970 Westfalia
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use to have those on a bug and one on a 59 panel.. there a POS for Hiway use.. not bad off Road..

This was in the late 60's they were that crappy Redish color just like the shocks
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

i know this thread is 7 years old but ... Smile

i run the koni 76-1099 on my 69 single cab and it was a fantastic upgrade.

honestly my review is the same as the initial fake one, and the one posted on page 2. it really was that good of an upgrade.

i did, however, adjust it to dial it in for those drastic results.
it also has an upside/downside and should not be mounted upside down clearly Smile

i can say this much - i didnt know a steering damper could make that much difference. it's worth the money.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

Unless you're off roading or racing your bus, the $35 VW of Brazil damper is more than sufficient.
Buy two of them and you'll have dampers for the rest of your bus' life.

http://www.busdepot.com/211425021a
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
Unless you're off roading or racing your bus, the $35 VW of Brazil damper is more than sufficient.
Buy two of them and you'll have dampers for the rest of your bus' life.

http://www.busdepot.com/211425021a

Unlike shock absorbers....which have vehicle specific valving.....there is nothjng special about steering dampeners. You can get them small, large, hard valving, soft valving snd everything in between. But none of them are stroke variable or adjustable...except for off road units like Fox.....which are as good as Koni in build quality.

I have no idea why everyone would drool and freak out over a Koni steering dampener....and yes....I have used them on other cars. Nice build Quality.....no less or more than original F& S or Boge.

As noted if you want something more...there are thousands on the market. If you like the original calibration and want one heavier....build a bracket and double them up "spoon" style. Funny joke though! Wink
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

The Koni is adjustable. The stock unit is not. The replacement stock part for what came on your German bus is now made in Brazil.

The Koni and Boge (both in working condition) were A/B tested extensively on my Bus and, given proper adjustment, my results were sufficient to support a significantly higher price tag than the additional money paid for it.
The effects on the bus under high-wind buffeting conditions and uneven road surfaces were much more significant than what I thought was possible with just a simple change (and adjustment) of a steering damper.
The activities under which I tested it were not representative of "off roading" or "racing," but rather daily commuting with mixed highway/city travel over an extensive round-trip distance.

Additionally, without empirical data to support it, my speculation would be that the Boge is an oil based damper and the Koni is a gas charged part.
That would be consistent with the practices of each brand; however, I cannot testify to that as fact since I have neither torn them open nor studied them in a lab.

The Boge is "fine" just like a non-German 1500 SP is fine as a new replacement motor for a non-concours restoration application.
If pride, in the efficient use of funds, or comradery, amongst other conservative enthusiasts, is preferable, then the Boge is the ideal part for the application.
For driving at high speed with maximum stability and ease of control, then the Koni may be preferable.

FWIW, YMMV

Cheers
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
The Koni is adjustable. The stock unit is not. The replacement stock part for what came on your German bus is now made in Brazil.

The Koni and Boge (both in working condition) were A/B tested extensively on my Bus and, given proper adjustment, my results were sufficient to support a significantly higher price tag than the additional money paid for it.
The effects on the bus under high-wind buffeting conditions and uneven road surfaces were much more significant than what I thought was possible with just a simple change (and adjustment) of a steering damper.
The activities under which I tested it were not representative of "off roading" or "racing," but rather daily commuting with mixed highway/city travel over an extensive round-trip distance.

Additionally, without empirical data to support it, my speculation would be that the Boge is an oil based damper and the Koni is a gas charged part.
That would be consistent with the practices of each brand; however, I cannot testify to that as fact since I have neither torn them open nor studied them in a lab.

The Boge is "fine" just like a non-German 1500 SP is fine as a new replacement motor for a non-concours restoration application.
If pride, in the efficient use of funds, or comradery, amongst other conservative enthusiasts, is preferable, then the Boge is the ideal part for the application.
For driving at high speed with maximum stability and ease of control, then the Koni may be preferable.

FWIW, YMMV

Cheers

The Koni steering damper is adjustable?.....news to me. Cool!

I have installed dozens of Koni dampers late 80's through early 90's (albeit mostly on water cooled VW and on type 3...and one or two beetles)....none of them I have found were adjustable. If they were...that would be worth the money to buy Koni. Is there a specific series for the adjustable damper?

I have used gas dampers. To each their own...but I found them to be temperamental. The oil dampers are more linear...just my experience.

Their shocks ...sure...I have used them. Very nice. There are also other choices for about the same price with the same quality.

The difference that Koni makes (with regard to shocks)....that makes it worth having and paying for Koni....is that if you want factory exact valving...AND the ability to adjust up or down from that benchmark point....Koni does that.

If you are working on a sports only vehicle where your suspension will likely never be anything close to stock and you will be tuning up or down completely and stock valving is irrelevant ...anything from Fox to Bilstein or others are likely as good of a choice as Koni.

Ray
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

Yes, it's adjustable:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks more substantial than the stock piece:

It's also made in Europe (Holland):

You can see the PN is 76-1099.

See page 2 for more detailed info from pjalau

Last edited by metahacker on Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

That Koni damper looks great, no doubt. As I read this thread, it made me wonder how many bus drivers would really "feel" the difference between the Brazil damper and the Koni. I'd wager a large portion of the bus drivers today are driving with leaking or blown dampers on their buses. When I bought my 70', the probably original damper was blown and had been that way for years/decades. Of course, most of the other original, VW parts were worn out on the suspension as well.

Back in the early 80's in S. California, I was working at an alignment/frame shop. SSOO many VW makes would come in w/blown, original steering dampers and the owners said their cars drove fine. We had a survey, quality card we asked the customers to fill out and mail back to us. It was funny to read the owners talking about how much better their VW's drove after changing the damper.. lol

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
That Koni damper looks great, no doubt. As I read this thread, it made me wonder how many bus drivers would really "feel" the difference between the Brazil damper and the Koni.

I think you'd be surprised.

My two year old Boge damper was fine, but I couldn't resist a Koni damper last year for the experiment. At first, I installed the Koni damper at "full stiff" because I thought to myself "that's got to tighten up the steering, right?" Not that my steering is loose by any means, but I didn't really know where to start.

Big mistake. Every crosswind buffeted the bus into another lane. The natural caster of the bus was overwhelmed with how stiff the damper was. What used to be "good enough" crosswind handling turned into a nightmare to drive. I was bummed, but I figured I would adjust it. For the sake of science, I went to "full soft" and reinstalled it.

Yes. Yes yes yes. What an improvement, not only from the overly-stiff previous adjustment, but from the Boge damper too! Now the damper still takes care of all the high-frequency dampening like it should, but it leaves more wiggle room for the front wheels to interface with my hands. I can feel how the front wheels are acting through turns. Side winds show up in the steering wheel, but they are easily counter-acted because I can feel exactly how hard they're blowing. With the firm setting, the bus would just move sideways and you wouldn't feel it.

Long story short, if you do it, try the soft adjustments, even if it seems counter-intuitive.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

Why am I not surprised Robbie? Razz

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Koni Steering Damper (APRIL FOOLS) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
That Koni damper looks great, no doubt. As I read this thread, it made me wonder how many bus drivers would really "feel" the difference between the Brazil damper and the Koni.

I think you'd be surprised.

My two year old Boge damper was fine, but I couldn't resist a Koni damper last year for the experiment. At first, I installed the Koni damper at "full stiff" because I thought to myself "that's got to tighten up the steering, right?" Not that my steering is loose by any means, but I didn't really know where to start.

Big mistake. Every crosswind buffeted the bus into another lane. The natural caster of the bus was overwhelmed with how stiff the damper was. What used to be "good enough" crosswind handling turned into a nightmare to drive. I was bummed, but I figured I would adjust it. For the sake of science, I went to "full soft" and reinstalled it.

Yes. Yes yes yes. What an improvement, not only from the overly-stiff previous adjustment, but from the Boge damper too! Now the damper still takes care of all the high-frequency dampening like it should, but it leaves more wiggle room for the front wheels to interface with my hands. I can feel how the front wheels are acting through turns. Side winds show up in the steering wheel, but they are easily counter-acted because I can feel exactly how hard they're blowing. With the firm setting, the bus would just move sideways and you wouldn't feel it.

Long story short, if you do it, try the soft adjustments, even if it seems counter-intuitive.

Robbie

I think for the sake of science, a perfect scenario to test these two different brand of steering dampers would have to be on a low mileage bus with the original, smooth VW made parts that are tight and in spec. This would include a non-worn, properly adjusted steering gear as well.

Why? I'm still suspicious of my new Nakata ball joints and the new tire rods. I think they are still just a hint tight which would impede the "feel" of the steering damper comparison. I've put around 4k miles on them since they've all been changed and it does feel like they are working themselves in well. Maybe Colin could do a comparison test with his low mileage Westphalia that he's been refreshing..

I was curious when you drove my bus Robbie if you felt this tightness and you felt it was fine. Next time you're here, hopefully you'll have your bus and I can compare the steering feel between them.

BTW, I was surprised to hear Brian's bug's engine is only a 1600! That motor was pretty darn quick when I drove it.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: