Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

To weld, or not to weld...
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: To weld, or not to weld... Reply with quote

This isn't so much an informational post as a procedural one. I have been working on my manx clone now off and on for about 4 years. I should have it running this winter, completely done in the spring.
When I started this project, I did not know how to weld or to fabricate metal at all. I'd watched plenty of it, never did any myself. For the first few years, I spent a lot of time running parts and even the whole pan around to have others who did weld, to do things like add gussets to the spring plate channels, and notch my frame head for tie rod clearance (Thanks, Mark and Mike at Blind Chicken). I learned a lot by watching professionals. Looking at the amount of fabrication that I still had left to do, I decided to pony up for some metal fabrication tools. I am now the proud owner of a Lincoln wire feed, a plasma torch, cutoff saw, and a rather awesome bender.
While I still have much to learn, my welding is good and strong (pretty might come later) and my ability to solve an engineering problem with my fabrication skills grows with each project.
My point is this; I WISH I HAD JUST FIGURED OUT MUCH EARILER ON THAT I NEEDED TO LEARN TO WELD AND FABRICATE, AND GOT AN EARILER START.
Maybe one of you out there is still running parts around to buddies and even professionals, getting your fabrication done piecemeal and over time. In other words, maybe one of you is just like me, only a few years (or months, depending on cashflow and ambition) behind where I am now.

Perhaps you can learn from my errors; I spent more money in fuel and time those first few years that all the money I spent on welding and fabrication equipment since. I have paid for those tools several times over in the parts that I have made, and I AM STILL NOT DONE. When I am done, even if I never weld another piece of metal again, if I want, I can still sell all this equipment and get some of that money back.

Look back on my post history, and you'll find a few inquiries about how to get past a fabrication issue without fabricating, questions about who out there might do the type of work I needed done,etc.,etc. If you are one of those folks, seriously consider what I am saying here....You'll save money and time in the long run getting the right equipment and doing at least some of the work yourself.

My .02, for those of you who made it this far. This isn't intended as a criticism of anyone who's not a welder/fabricator....more of a cautionary tale from someone who originally thought he didn't need to pick up some equipment and a new skill...

Scott C.
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post, you definetley have me thinking. How did you go about learning other than observing the pros?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny how most people don't understand that you don't assemble a buggy...you BUILD it. For me the mental challenge was the whole build. I enjoyed the idea gathering, sharing, etc more than anything.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedbuggy,
With welding, I first worked with scrap, welding and then cutting my welds to check penetration. Then I started on pieces that I knew would be less visible...some of those I have since redone. I've moved on to cage work now. I'm not laying rolls of dimes on my joints, but I'm not getting "Popeye Arms" running a grinder either.

Here's my front hoop
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's a rear seat mount/rear crossmember/cutting brake mount
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Murzi,
I learned something similar from one of your posts...I think you said something to someone who was complaining about the time and money it took to build their car, something along the lines of " don't forget to enjoy the process, because when it is done, you might wish you were still building it". I was not having a good time working on the car at the time, and it was all in my head.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that bracket, nicely done.

I hear you all the way. I bought a tube bender and notcher for my car and did all the work myself. I already had a wire feed and a ban saw, as well as other metal working tools so I took the next step.
I since bought a 2" die and made some end tables and coffee table for my parents. They are getting them powder coated and getting some 1" slate cut for them. So think out side the box with the tube bender Cool
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: