Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advise on restoration work
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 8:43 am    Post subject: Advise on restoration work Reply with quote

I'm replacing the floor pans on my '73, and I'd appreciate any advice on treating or painting them after they have been welded in place. Should I consider undercoating? I also plan on repainting it lemon yellow (late 1970's beetle color). Anyone know of a good source to buy VW paint using the 1970's paint codes? Finally, I'm going with the original-style 1973 exhaust system (dual mufflers & pipes that exit through the bumper). I'm using the real thing from Denmark, not a near-stock reproduction. Does anyone have any experience with this system? How is access to the valves? Any pipe vibration problems with the bumper? Thanks!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Advise on restoration work Reply with quote

I have a 74 with it's original finish and it has a black satin finish on it.If I lived where there is salt on the road and I was going to drive it in the winter I'd undercoat the thing. If it to see light duty I'd leave it in satin black. I have worked on a 73 with the factory exhaust and valve adjustment and hitting the bumper was not an problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Advise on restoration work Reply with quote

was not a problem!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Advise on restoration work Reply with quote

Any shop that sells auto body supplies should be able to mix the right paint for you, if you have the paint name and code. I just finished painting my pan and i undercoated it, to provide some rust protection, and also to cut down on road noise. I thought about using bedliner on the inside, but decided against it, as i plan to install carpet, so wasn't concerned with wear and tear- but if you plan to keep your floor pans "naked", applying a good bedliner will make the finish more durable.
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Advise on restoration work Reply with quote

If you bolt your exhaust end tips right they should not vibrate at all. Rear bumpers up to 1973 had oval holes so that pipes could travel up and down when accelerating the engine without hitting the bumper. Starting in 1973 those oval holes grew to become rounded.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Advise on restoration work Reply with quote

How Soon We Forget. Repeat 15 times POR-15, POR-15 and so on. Undercoat will do almost nothing to protect welded metal from oxidizing again. In fact, it may do more harm as it can trap moisture underneath and rust will start without your knowledge.
Go back to www.por15.com and take the lesson over. Apply POR-15 and, then, if desired, apply an appropriate overcoat.
A welded pan without POR-15, or a good rust convertor, applied is just another rusty pan waiting to happen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: