Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 - 91 Vanagon automatic tranny VS. manual
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Smothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: 86 - 91 Vanagon automatic tranny VS. manual Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a 86 - 91 Vanagon Westy, and plan on pulling a small trailor (actually small boat). I was thinking a 4spd manual would be the best bet for towing. Problem is, seems like most the westys I like are coming with a automatic.
So, should I wait untill the right manual comes along, or should I consider a auto. Also, do they get worse gas milelage, thats usually the case. And are they much inferior to a 4spd when going up hills (mt. passes and such).

Thanks
Smothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one wants to touch this one? lol
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this is more of an opinion than anything else, but here it goes. i've towed full length trailers full of tons of stuff, easily 1500 pounds plus the trailer with both a stock 2.1 van with an automatic, and with a svx powered stick shift. honestly, i think the automatic can easily handle it. i have always been impressed with the vanagon automatic. just make sure you are okay with being the slowest car out there. i dont think there is any doubt that the automatic is perfectly fine with towing, but i do think the manual tranny will be better to work with on hills and mountain passes. as to the gas mileage, yes the manual transmission gets better gas mileage, but from your point of standing, all you have around you is automatic vanagons, so i wouldnt probably be able to wait for a stick shift to pop up, but im kind of impatient with that kind of thing. so i guess long story short is: its really up to you. both will be fine for what you're doing, it really depends on what you want. DO WHAT YOU WANT!!!

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks freshintulsa. Hey, I lived in Fort Collins for about 5 years. Awesome place. Went to CSU. thanks
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Buddy that tows his '67 drag bug around the northwest is on his third auto tranny with only 160K logged on his stock '90 weekender westy.

He just told me he is glad he has 3 manual tranny's in his shop because he is done with the autos after this one blows...And he loves his autos! Also, he is a certified VW tech at the dealership but switched to an Indie last year.
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only reason that the auto trannys die is lack of maintnance. make sure to change the fluid and filter, and dont forget the cooler!! its a little block in the front of the tranny that lets tranny fluid and coolant pass NEAR each other to cool the tranny. occassionally they leak internally and cause major problems. as long as you take care of any part of your car it will last. and i too work in a vw shop, i may not have as much experience as your frined does, but some of the people i work with have wildly incredible experience with these things. im not doubting your freind, just thinking he must have bad luck. good luck with your choice Smothers

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone who is more certain could chime in, but it's been my understanding since getting into the VW world that the auto tranny is very strong.

I have a 3 speed auto in my 73 Bus (first year for the auto in VW Bus) when I was 18 and I beat the crap out of it ~ never had a problem.

You WILL be slower with the auto though.

Best,

Lanval
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost never without a trailer behind my full westy (1988) automatic. No issues, I do tend to manually shift it from a stop though as it dumps into 2nd pretty quick.

Depending on what kind of camping we are doing, I tow a small lightweight trailer with gear on it, or a center console Carolina skiff (loaded with the camping/boating gear), or a small trailer with a large 3 wheeled Cushman and usually 1 or 2 more mini bikes, sometimes even a small tent camper. I definitely can't keep up in the mountains with my buddies '88 manual tranny westy, but hes not pulling anything either.

I have never pulled anything with a manual trans vanagon. I'm helping a friend out with an '84 westy right now I have to say its fun to drive with the 4 speed though!
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If properly maintained, the Vanagon 3 speed automatic is one tough transmission.

As it usually is with any automatic if your going to be building more heat pulling a trailer--whatever--a auxillary transmission cooler would be a real good idea if your planning to have the trans stay together for any length of time.

Other than that the automatic is a pretty much bullet proof unit, and is much more trouble free in the long run than the 4 speed.

Plus the Van is faster off the lights----
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it's all in the maintenance, and cooling of trans fluids..
a trans temp gauge wouldn't be a bad idea, along with more frequent fluid changes if it's going to get abused.

the vanagon automatic is the same transmission body from 76+ VW & Audis
including the 88-91 Audi 200 Turbo Quattro with over 175hp stock
I'm fairly sure it's the same as the Audi 200 V8 thats about 350hp.

in the kitcar world the Lambo guys are mating corvette LT1s to the Audi 200 automatic transaxles for a mid engine V8 setup

there is an extra clutch plate in the Audi 5000/200/V8 turbo trans and the seal between the 2 halves has to be vanagon for vanagon and audi for audi.

now how well the vanagon automatic differential section is built i'm not sure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smothers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the imput. Taking it all into consideration.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a performance tip for any automatic trans.

Run either B&M Trick Shift, or Ford Type F fluid.

It tightens up the shifts--less slippage between gears, and will help your trans run cooler & stay together longer.

It's an old GM Hydro quick shift solution.
There's more grabber's in the B&M & Ford fluid making for faster shifts--less slippage, less clutch plate wear.

Simple concept that works well.
Tomasz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I definitely can't keep up in the mountains with my buddies '88 manual tranny westy, but hes not pulling anything either.

well, hopfully I'll be pulling something soon once that trailer and the hitch arrive Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... opinions... lots of them. When I was shopping I read that the automatic was bulletproof and should be more than up to the task of pulling a trailer. I opted for a manual because I pull a small boat or utility trailer more often than not when I'm going recreating. I live in Northern Utah so I deal with mountain roads and passes, and I hate the way automatics hunt around, especially when pulling a load. I like the idea of being able to select from one of 4 gear ranges and then camp there at comfortable engine RPMs rather than bouncing back and forth or forcing it into one of 3 speeds.

My wife and I wanted a late '80s/early '90s Wolfsburg/Weekender type setup and most of those are automatic, so when I found a manual I jumped on it. That's just me and that's living in the mountains... you would probably be fine with an auto.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomasz wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
I definitely can't keep up in the mountains with my buddies '88 manual tranny westy, but hes not pulling anything either.

well, hopfully I'll be pulling something soon once that trailer and the hitch arrive Smile

Oh you finally ordered a hitch? Very Happy BTW you can thank me for the killer deal by having a cool frosty beverage ready for me tomorrow when I arrive with your new toy, see what this one is going for!!!!!!!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...=p3907.m32
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: