Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

seat belts?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KantDriveFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

56_in_714 wrote:
Did ovals come with Seat belts??? Cool

Nope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KantDriveFast wrote:
56_in_714 wrote:
Did ovals come with Seat belts??? Cool

Nope.

Right. But to elaborate... Seat belts were dealer options in the early '60s, but no bug "came" with seatbelts until the '67 model year. And then, you only got lap belts in the front seats. Shoulder harnesses and rear seatbelts were dealer options.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SluggerKelsey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have seatbelts in my 1965 bug.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SluggerKelsey wrote:
i have seatbelts in my 1965 bug.

Congratulations, so do I! Even my '63 has seatbelts.... What's your point? Since a '65 precedes a '67, you know that they were installed after the car left the factory. Nobody said that seatbelts didnt exist prior to '67, only that they were not factory installed prior to '67.

Sorry, Tinkerbell, not trying to bite your head off, just reiterating a previous point.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
frankobrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: 1964 B-Pillar Seat Best mounting holes Reply with quote

OK, can i ask this, should a 1964 Beetle have B-Pillar Seat Belt mounting holes for a three point seat belt set=up or was that feature added on later models? Question
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 B-Pillar Seat Best mounting holes Reply with quote

frankobrad wrote:
OK, can i ask this, should a 1964 Beetle have B-Pillar Seat Belt mounting holes for a three point seat belt set=up or was that feature added on later models? Question

VW put mounts into the body in '64, they just didnt include the actual seatbelts. That was a dealer installed option that was made easy by the factory mounting points.

frankobrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 B-Pillar Seat Best mounting holes Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
frankobrad wrote:

VW put mounts into the body in '64, they just didnt include the actual seatbelts. That was a dealer installed option that was made easy by the factory mounting points.

How far up from the Botton of the rear window are the holes located on the B-Pillar? About half way? I cant feel them through my upolstry and i want to cut pretty near where they might be to look for them if i can.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 B-Pillar Seat Best mounting holes Reply with quote

frankobrad wrote:
How far up from the Botton of the rear window are the holes located on the B-Pillar? About half way? I cant feel them through my upolstry and i want to cut pretty near where they might be to look for them if i can.

Thanks

The shoulder harness (if you opted for one) would be mouned were the top of the rear interior panel met the bottom of the rear quarter window. Here, you can see a large plastic plug on my '63.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the bottom mount, the dealer would drill a hole through the pan and tack weld a nut onto a backing plate to accomodate the "eye" bolt to which the lap belt would be fastened.

frankobrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 B-Pillar Seat Best mounting holes Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
frankobrad wrote:

Thanks

The shoulder harness (if you opted for one) would be mouned were the to of the rear interior panel met the bottom of the rear quarter window. Here, you can see a large plastic plug on my '63.

OHHHHHHH, I thought it was higher up the pillar, I had not even looked in that area. I though the seat belt mouting hold was way up the B-Pillar because of photos I have seen but that must have been Beetles with High backed seats. Thanks very much. I would have never even considered the mounting hole to be that low. Very Happy
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 B-Pillar Seat Best mounting holes Reply with quote

frankobrad wrote:

OHHHHHHH, I thought it was higher up the pillar, I had not even looked in that area. I though the seat belt mouting hold was way up the B-Pillar because of photos I have seen but that must have been Beetles with High backed seats. Thanks very much. I would have never even considered the mounting hole to be that low. Very Happy

The shoulder mount was higher starting in '65. If you look under the assist strap at the top of the B pillar in '65s, '66s, and '67s, you will find the shoulder harness mount (the plastic plug). however, unlike previous years, the lower lap mount was already factory installed in '67, but not prior

petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1964 B-Pillar Seat Best mounting holes Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
frankobrad wrote:

Thanks

The shoulder harness (if you opted for one) would be mouned were the top of the rear interior panel met the bottom of the rear quarter window. Here, you can see a large plastic plug on my '63.

For the bottom mount, the dealer would drill a hole through the pan and tack weld a nut onto a backing plate to accomodate the "eye" bolt to which the lap belt would be fastened.

Personally I would not bolt the seat belts into the floor pans. In later cars they were bolted into the bottom of the B pillar and the transmission tunnel. I suggest you weld up some reinforcement metal in those areas and bolt the seat belts in there. Someone added lap belts onto my '56 that bolted to the floor pans, not a great idea. The bolts caught on something and tweaked the pans, and thanks to rust I could rip my seat belts right out of the floor, and I ain't even a big guy.
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 66 had factory seatbelt mounts in the original floorpans, in my 67 they had been moved to the lower B pillar. In one of my owner's manuals for 66 they show a picture of a shoulder belt that has no lap belt. I think VW's early attempts for seat belt provisions weren't always the safest and not real well thought out.
Atlantic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. my 63 ragtop came with it and it looks original (the mounting screws).
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old 63 in order to use the bolts that came with seatbelts and actually fit through the holes in the seatbelts I had to buy some screw in adapters since the holes in the floorpan, tunnel, and body were too large. I think I bought them from Wolfsburg West or someone like that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: