Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beware of the Frankensyncro!!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightyart wrote:

What's wrong with just buying a real syncro?

Nothing at all. In fact thats what i aim to do sometime in the future.
BUT...I have put alot of work into my 2wd westy. And like the idea of upgrading a vehicle that i have just like i want.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suebicum wrote:
Hi

Quote:
The Syncro is VERY sexy. Sex costs. Some want it real bad. But, they may not have the means to buy it. So they do it them selves. This generates the desired outcome. It just may not be all that satisfactory.

Confused Question

What is that suppose to mean?
If you don’t have the money to by a Syncro you cant make one ether.
You need a complete donor for all the Parts.
The only time this could be working is if you get a wrecked Syncro and have a good 2WD. Even then a crashed Syncro is worth more in Parts then as donor.

So I'm with mightyart, What's wrong with just buying a real syncro?
Or different, what would you win making one?

Michael

Some people have more time than money. They are willing to try and build what they want rather than just going out and buying one.

My 1959 Mercedes 190SL is a true Frankenstein, as an example. We used to have Mercedes repair business for about 50 years. We had LOTS of parts. I bought a fairly good rust free empty shell and filled it along with lots of our modifications to make keeping on easier. I did it because I could and did not have enough money to buy one. At one point, I had a good offer on my car and it was not done. I could not find a car that I liked that would compare to the one I had. So I finished my car. It is a great driver example and done right.

On the other hand, I bought a rough Westy which was really a trade and I got cash back. I currently have $8K in my van. Soon it gets a Suby. It will not become 4 wheel drive because I do not need it and don't want to take the mpg hit. I bought a Westy because I did not want to convert a van. It was just not worth it to me. To some, it is a job they want to do. Not me.

So to each their own, but do watch out for the Frankensynco. Or do be careful if you find one to buy.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Win? Reply with quote

"So I'm with mightyart, What's wrong with just buying a real syncro?
Or different, what would you win making one?"

I don't think "win" is the correct word. I have had my two wheel drive Westy for a few years. Over the course of that time I have gone from a newbie to fanatic. I am not as mechanically inclined as most people appear to be on this board nor do I want to be... I respect all of you for being self sufficient in this regard... I simply do not have time. I also work rather long and hard for six months and take six months off. I would rather spend my time off enjoying nature, the world and microbrews.

Over the course of time I have put in lots of upgrades to my Westy and a lot of money replacing parts. Over the last year or so my wife and I have decided that we want to convert 'kaya' to 4wd. We weighed the costs of selling her (GOD FORBID!) and buying a decent synchro then going through all the stuff we went thru to get Kaya to where we feel she is reliable and customized for long road trips into the puckerbrush. To go thru all of that again... rather not.

The costs involved to convert are almost identical as to buy a good synchro. We are choosing the first option. So what will I win? I will have a good reliable car that will perform what I ask it to perform. Don't worry, I never plan on selling my westy.

to quote Lucas at GW:

VW Vanagon bodies, 1980-91, air-cooled, water-cooled, 2WD and 4WD are all 95% identical. The bodies of '86-91 2WD and 4WD are 99% the same. Most of the differences between the 2WD and 4WD are in the various systems (suspension, cooling, fuel, electrical) and are bolt-on. There is actually surprisingly little welding to do. So, it is feasible to convert any 2WD Vanagon to 4WD Syncro EXACTLY the way the factory did. We have converted many here at GoWesty, it takes one of our talented technicians—with access to every tool on the planet—about 60 hours to do the whole thing.

As we say in the long distance hiking community... "hike your own hike"

PEACE...ASWAH

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sounds really good but, before you convert your beloved Westy to a syncro, you had better check with your insurance company to see if you can get coverage on it.
It's the big can of worms nobody wants to talk about when doing this kind of work.
suebicum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I hate to sound like a broken record Rolling Eyes

Look on page one, yes it can be done, even fairly easy.
A company in Namibia ( Zimmermann Garage) has done 30 Syncro conversions in 1992 with parts from SDP. That’s the Syncro DoKa’s you see in Videos from this region because the DoKa was never sold as Syncro in ZA / Namibia (you can tell an the square Bus fuel filler, the factory Syncro DoKa has a round one in front of the rear wheel)

My only advice was, be aware that you pay double.
You need a good Body (as it seems for aswah) and you need a full donor Syncro for all the parts.
if you don't do it your self it runs up a big bill on top of that.

@ r39o
I know what you mean, doing it myself. Some of my cars had some Frankenstein in them. I just said you wont save any money making a Syncro.
Just the parts you need are more expensive than just buying a "barn find" Syncro and going from there. Just my $.02, done it that way after looking in to it.
My Syncro was $1900, You get maybe the gearbox and front diff for that.

Michael
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Win? Reply with quote

aswah wrote:
"it takes one of our talented technicians—with access to every tool on the planet—about 60 hours to do the whole thing.
PEACE...ASWAH

60 hours done by owner = pride and inexpensive

60 hours times $45/hr 1-man shop rate = $2700

60 hours times $95/hr Gowesty rate = $5700

plus donor van and unforseen worn syncro replacement parts, ouch!
Ideally, I would have watercooled and syncroed my 78 bay Westy after fixing and tweaking it for 18 years, but the "easiest" and less expensive way was too obvious.

Gowesty does nice work, all they do is Vanagons and Eurovans. Their shop rate of $95 is not high for a premium European autoshop, but the more complex and extensive the repair, the higher the price will be at any shop whether they do a good job or not. If you can't do it well yourself, find someone who has done at least 3 or 4 conversions to do it for you, or just buy a Syncro camper.

Just a regular guy
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you can do it for $5K to $10K, right?

Not so bad, if you actually need it.

I don't so, I am happy sitting high up like a Syncro, I just can not go through a few places.

Fine, my family is freaked enough with the little off roading we have done.

So, to each their own; hike your own hike; etc....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
suebicum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi r39o

Quote:
So you can do it for $5K to $10K, right?

Not so bad, if you actually need it.

If your last name is Rockefeller Very Happy Very Happy
Sorry I think we were talking about 2 different Budgets.
I’m trying to build a Syncro Camper for the Money, you think you could make a Syncro conversion.

And yes, always do your own thing.
I was just warning about the cost, and about the "I make my own mania" often gets you in troubles you don’t want to be in. To many nice cars have been cut up because they’re owners thought they needed some thing special and then never finished it.
What I can tell every body is:
Nearly everything is possible, Question is do you have the time and/or money to do it.
Before you start a Project be aware of what it entails.

Michael
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: