Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing the transmission fluid
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joker69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

So, being the good little newbie that I am, I just got my Bentley Manual and was browsing thorugh the Lubrication section.

I got to the tramission fluid change section which is something I am planning on doing since I have no idea when or if the PO had it changed.

Problem is, when I get to tyhe section on "Changing the transmission fluid", it only goes over how to check the level and add more if needed. It doesn't mention draining it.
Where do you drain the fluid so it can be changed out? I see where to fill it, but not drain it.

Thanks....

'69 Fat Chick
wompninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bottom of the tranny is a huge allen head bolt. You need to find an allen wrench that will fit in there. Unscrew it and that's how you drain it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drain plus is on the bottom under the differential.

REMOVE THE FILL PLUG FIRST. Because if you drain it first and can't get the fill plug out, you have problems. Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joker69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the fill plug also a allen head? That's what they seem to show in the Bentley anyway. They are BOTH allen heads?

Glenn> I will definately do that. Thanks for the tip. Smile

'69 Fat Chick
73stroker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
A-1 Sidewinder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: transmission Reply with quote

Both the filler plug and drain plug should be 17 mm allen key on your '69. I prefer using a 17 mm socket (bought at my local parts store or http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-7165), as it allows the use of a rachet, for leverage.

The drain plugs are usually magnetic, so you'll need to clean off any metal shavings. Don't over tighten the plugs when re-installing as the case can crack in some instances.

Good luck!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Joker69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks guys. That'll be my next duty as soon as my shoulder heals up.Smile

'69 Fat Chick
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
... Don't over tighten the plugs when re-installing

14 ftlbs is all it needs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whobba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just now changing the transaxle fluid on my '78. I found that it's easier if you take the left rear wheel off - 'cause you can get right in there to the fill plug. I've been wondering though if I should use synthetic transaxle fluid like Redline. My mechanic friend recommended it.

The filler nut was on there really well, it took some serious muscle to get it going. The drain magnetic plug has been doing its job, as there were little specs of metal neatly clinging to the magnet. It was almost like a metallic dust.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthetic works really good in there, especially in colder weather.

Get one of those hand pumps that fit onto the hypoid fluid bottle, makes filling the tranny a lot easier.

I also prefer a socket for removing and filling the tranny. But when I got my first VW almost 20 years ago all I could find at the time was a giant Allen wrench, which also worked pretty good.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

How are you folks changing the fluid without a lift if the car needs to be level?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Four jack stands at equal height on level ground Very Happy
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

I figured...
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Think the really cool people that lower the cars, Smile
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Lol
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

What is the consensus about driving up in ramps. Draining, putting about 2.5 quarts in. Lightly putting fill screw in, drive down ramps and recheck level?

Also Muir warns against overfilling so you don't blow the seals out. I find it hard to understand how you could overfill it if the car is fairly level. Wouldn't it start leaking out once it was up to the bottom of the hole?

Also, a concern as always with transmissions in general is changing the oil. I've always heard the tale that when changing fluid out, when you add new, it can create leaks that weren't there beforehand...
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

Also, a concern as always with transmissions in general is changing the oil. I've always heard the tale that when changing fluid out, when you add new, it can create leaks that weren't there beforehand...

I know this was a concern years ago when synthetic fluids first became widely available.....I think it was because of more aggressive detergents and better flowing oil........it usually meant your seals were shot and crud was holding back the leaks.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Actually, the chance of under filling is as possible as overfilling. You can pump the oil in too fast, and you'll get oil coming out the fill hole. You may think you've filled it up, because it's leaking out the hole, but it just hasn't had time to settle in. So it's best to fill that last bit slowly, giving the thick oil time to settle and eventually leak out the fill hole. Overfilling can happen when you install the fill plug to keep from making a mess, and you jam the plug on before the excess oil has a chance to drain out the hole.

Slow and easy is the way to go.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Is there any evidence, or is there anyone on here who has changed their hypoid oil and developed a leak at one of the seals? That is my main concern. I don't want to be pulling the motor and trans.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing the transmission fluid Reply with quote

Thats what she said
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: