Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New member... meet Esmerelda!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: New member... meet Esmerelda! Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

My fiance and I have been reading this group (found through Google) for about a year gleaning info from all you opinionated high-flyers in preparation of our upcoming Vanagon search and purchase. I've always wanted a bus, and Pat (the future misses) is a hippie wanna-be and is tired of sleeping on the ground. Therefore with the prerequisites of:

Automatic (her)
Air (her)
Fairly straight body (mine, I HATE bodywork)
Unmolested electrics and mechanicals (I don't mind repairs, but nothing is more frustrating that undoing someone else's stupidity)
Located somewhere within 6 hours or so of us (WV),

we began our semi-serious search back in August of 07. I should probably put in at this time the standard "we couldn't have done it without all your help" blurb, and I will. Seriously, our decision and purchase could have in no way went as well and as successful (so far) as it has been if not for the invaluable, humorous and sometimes testy posts we have absorbed from The Samba. As we work forward on Esmerelda (Pat had the name picked out a year ago) I plan on trying to give back to this community through detailing the work we have started and plan on performing both in repairs and upgrades.

Enough of that... here are the pics from the PO's Internet ad.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ezzie is an 1984 waterboxer with 67,000 original miles. We're the 3rd owner, with the last owner only putting 4k miles on her in the last six years. She's been resprayed professionally, with not-so-professional masking. Just a little surface seam rust behind both rear wheel wells. Newer tires and 100% straight on the outside, even the bumpers.

Inside she seems to be original too, with light use on the stove, original canvas, upholstery and carpet. The only upgrade seems to be an aftermarket radio. The side curtains, rear screen and ice cube tray are all there.

Issues: Needed alignment, slight hesitation when warm from a standing start, sink pump doesn't work, refridgerator won't light on propane, AC blows loud and warm, engine runs at about 2/3 up the temp guage consistently but doesn't overheat. All this and a brand new Bentley for $6,700. From what I've read I think we did OK for East coast pricing.

Being the adventurous (read careless) type, we drove her 300 miles the day after we picked her up (with plates off my old Jeep) to a music festival in northern VA and back without missing a beat. Muscial pun there. I think we did OK.

Since returning, I've placed and received a big Van-Cafe order (mmmm.... cookies) for fuel lines, tune-up, filters and such to start the preventive maintenance portion of our project. As far as I can tell from all the receipts included in the glove box, the only major replacement that has taken place was a gas tank in the late 90's and a water pump last year. I think we did OK.

Anyway, thanks again for the incredible community you have built. Pat, myself and Esmerelda thank you.
winkshog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wecome....nice ride
Loghome for sale For those that want to get away from it all....
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet ride
Welcome to the Samba.
Good to hear that you have already ordered fuel lines.
My Van Cafe order arrived today with NO COOKIES AGAIN! ('Crying or Very sad')
If you have any questions, and you will, just ask.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Very few westy's out there with only 67,ooo on them....

I want one! Smile Smile Smile Smile
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... what a beauty!!! Congratulations and welcome aboard.
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats and welcome!!! I've got your Westy's slightly younger (by one year, mine is an 85) brother or sister. Same color, and the classy round headlights!!

Welcome to many new adventures, with a few likely misadventures as well. All part of the journey! Very Happy

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrhooie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats!!
OilNBolts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hearty welcome to the three of you, hope your travels are memorable and numerous. Cool
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Westy! We were camping at Blackwater Falls SP last weekend and did a lot of driving in the mountains.
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats! Welcome to the madness. Sweet looking vanagon (don't be afraid to pronounce it 'va-noggin' in order to throw off a few know-it-alls that will now approach you). Laughing
Might that be a bit of the old "westy lean" visible in the rear pic? Could be the angle of the photo or driveway. If you don't know what that is from your lurker days, do a quick search and you will find plenty of info and solutions.

Nice color. Now get ready to make zillion little "investments".
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T ake what remaning CASH u have left put in a jar and bury it in the back yard west of the old oak tree BEFORE your wbx discovers u have some left!!!!!
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

Good Find... There still out there...

Cheers to the three of you!
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh morymob...your response is just..............well, you know.
berge13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, the three of you and congratulations on your future wedding. Nice lookin' Westy (hope I can graduate to one soon!!!!)
That color combo rocks!!!!!!
I wonder why the gas tank replace at 50-60K miles...?
Happy Trails Cool
Berge
Prior:
59 Ragtop
66 Barndoor
71 TinTop Westy
69 Karmann Ghia
62 Bus
83.5 Vanagon
MSmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses... communities like this make it all worthwhile, don't they?

Westy lean... I think the pic is a little misleading, although I do have new springs/bilsteins on my "second" list (the one Pat doesn't know about.... yet...) along with 15" tires, big brake kit, pop top shocks, rear tire carrier and ladder, Yakima rack and rocket box, second propane tank, euro spec headlghts, etc. etc. Yeah, as you can tell I've read most of the forum and archives. First things first though... safety and reliability. And the saving of the associated fundage.

I do feel very, very lucky to have found one with low miles and unmolested. She seriously starts and drives like a much newer vehicle, although with the aged shocks/springs/14" tires interstate travel leaves a little to be desired.

As for MoryMob's comments, I have graduated from two previous schools of auto insanity... first a British sports car phase where I grew to hate the name Lucas, and secondly and partially still ongoing fascination with older Jeeps.

Campism: We're down around Blackwater quite a bit (we live in Morgantown... GO MOUNTAINEERS!). If you haven't been, make sure you stop by the Purple Fiddle in Thomas http://www.purplefiddle.com/ and tell my buddy John Mike said hey. Great food and fantastic music.

For all of you out there looking for your dream Westie I would say based on our experience, don't compromise and hold out for what you want. We made a list of what we were looking for, our budget, and we stuck to it. There are lots of iffy vehicles and shady characters in the automotove world, but if you're patient you'll be rewarded in the long run. I do believe Esmerelda was a borderline steal based on her mileage and condition, but then again, it took almost a year for us to find her.

On to my first official forum question: Are there 15" steelies available out there that Ezzie's original hub caps will fit? Van Cafe has some, but no hubcap options are listed in their description.

Thanks again everyone. Sorry to be so verbose.
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on both brother! You now have a mistress and a wife to be!

I used 15inch Passat steelies for Larz and they fit great (i had to grind out the center hub abit since the Syncro has different requirements, but it should work well for you).

The 14inch hubcaps probably won't work on a 15inch wheel though...

Do a search on "15 Passat steel". I got mine off Ebay from a gentleman in Florida for 30 a piece new.

Cheers!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
T ake what remaning CASH u have left put in a jar and bury it in the back yard west of the old oak tree BEFORE your wbx discovers u have some left!!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That is so true.
Congrats on the find.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there are no 15" steel wheels that the stock hubcaps 14" hub caps will fit. If you go with the Passat wheels you will need to grind out the center bore quite a bit, also the offset (ET) is not ideal for the vanagon, if I remember correctly you will need spacers to correct the offset. If you want 15" steel the Van-cafe (or others) are the best way to go, that being said I think finding a cheap set of Mercedes alloys is the best way to go. For more info on wheels go to both of the "ultimate wheel" stickies or contact Loogy, he is the man when it comes to wheels and suspension here on the Samba.

Sweet Westy, by the way. It looks just like mine. Same year and color (if you ignore all the rust).
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had lunch at the Purple Fiddle on that trip. Nice folks and food.
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the find. I've always liked that color. Since I feel special about 84's I'd like to offer $0.02. If there is seam rust showing on the rear quarters, there might be more lurking beneath the surface of the other seams, under the window seals or at the camping utility hookups. (guess how I know) Regarding your water temp gauge reading, 1/2 - 3/4 is what most people see. At 3/4 the fan should probably be ON automatically. The 1.9 will continue to serve you 82 horsies for a long time as long as it stays cool. OK, thats it from me. Enjoy the brown carpet!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: