Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil temp dilemma, limited options, need ideas
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I got into it just forward of the valve bore (see RIS's upper pic and imagine a hole in the next gallery below where the holes are drilled, just back from the reinforcing web by the pushrod tube).

Yes that would be an entry point into the main oil galley. I may just drill and tap my own engine there as I would really prefer to know what my oil pressure is in the main oil galley.

busdaddy wrote:
This is a single relief engine, no cooler bypass

The Single Oil Pressure Relief engine case uses a single piston for both the oil cooler bypass and the pressure relief function. I believe that it may be possible that the piston could have been forced far enough downward that the oil cooler is always being bypassed, but may be stuck before it is relieving any oil pressure. Or a spring that was too short, but also too strong, could have been installed. Or the wrong style of piston could have been installed, which would cause a serious problem.

I know that these suggestions are not likely, but you've got a problem that is a bit odd too, as the normal problems don't seem to be there, except for the possibility of an excessively high compression ratio.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SRP1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott Novak wrote:
This is a single relief engine, no cooler bypass,
The Single Oil Pressure Relief engine case uses a single piston for both the oil cooler bypass and the pressure relief function. I believe that it may be possible that the piston could have been forced far enough downward that the oil cooler is always being bypassed, but may be stuck before it is relieving any oil pressure. Or a spring that was too short, but also too strong, could have been installed. Or the wrong style of piston could have been installed, which would cause a serious problem.

I know that these suggestions are not likely, but you've got a problem that is a bit odd too, as the normal problems don't seem to be there, except for the possibility of an excessively high compression ratio.

Scott Novak

SRP1 wrote:
I would look carefully at the relief/bypass piston, if its stuck or sitting down off its seat slightly and in a worn bore oil can bypass the cooler, but still maintain pressure.

busdaddy wrote:
This is a single relief engine, no cooler bypass

I felt these points where worth bring back up as you may have a small amount of misunderstanding as to the pistons function on a single relief case. Just trying clear up a likely cause of the problem. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it, long day yesterday and I had a brain fart.
Plunger and spring were checked last year (not by me), I'm going to give them a good check anyways.
Thanks.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulled the relief plunger, bore looks good, not too sloppy, definitely not jamming, haven't measured the spring yet but it looks stock, standard grooved plunger.
Interesting thing is the plunger isn't quite contacting the top of the bore, there's a little ridge approx .050 down from the end, it looks like it would still seal against the ridge and even if it isn't it's obviously not effecting pressure. Thinking about a way to remove the ridge while assembled.

I'm considering turning a few thou off the bottom of the plunger groove to make the relief come on a bit before the bypass, it should drop the pressure a bit and send more through the cooler, if it's wrong it's easy to swap a plunger.
Anybody done this?
I want my shop back and this is turning into a lifetime project.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: