Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need an "Official" list of Chassis numbers/dates
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Need an "Official" list of Chassis numbers/dates Reply with quote

In order to deal with a DMV issue, I'd like to find an official range of Type 2 chassis numbers and when they were be produced. In other words, an official VW version of this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

Anyone know where I can locate this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try the office that issues the birth certificates... Also, you could try the historian at VWoA, if they have one after the move, they used to in Michigan.
Rain's Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Progressive Changes" books issued by VW in the 1950's and 1960's have the end of month chassis # listed for each model along with the engine # and in some cases the front axle # you may want to locate a copy of this book for your car this listing should give a to the month listing for your bus.
the listing on the samba is basically what is in those books and I would definitely call those books official VW
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry cant help you, but out of curiosity, what issue are you dealing with? I have a bus, and will hopefully be getting another one shortly...that are both going to be a little tough to title. Dont know if your issue might be something I run into.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
sorry cant help you, but out of curiosity, what issue are you dealing with? I have a bus, and will hopefully be getting another one shortly...that are both going to be a little tough to title. Dont know if your issue might be something I run into.

There's an error on my title - The VIN is right, but the "Year model" is listed as a 1951 (I wish!) when it's actually a '57. I'm mailing in a statement of facts to see if they will correct it for me and wanted the "official" supporting documentation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can send you a scan of the Progressive Refinements book with that page on it but it doesn't say VW on it so I don't know if they would take that as official.

Sample
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=476818
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I can send you a scan of the Progressive Refinements book with that page on it but it doesn't say VW on it so I don't know if they would take that as official.

Sample

Everett, I think that will work. Thanks a bunch!
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shit I bet someone just thought the 7 was a 1 somewhere along the line. Dont make the top of the 7 long enough and its a 1 for sure.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
Shit I bet someone just thought the 7 was a 1 somewhere along the line. Dont make the top of the 7 long enough and its a 1 for sure.

Yep, I'm sure that's exactly what happened all those years ago...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Sample

Everett, I think that will work. Thanks a bunch!

If you want all the pages leading up to it as some sort of lead-in or even the title page as it is VW-logo'd, email me.

The original scan of the page above is also much larger, in case a print-out is unsatisfactory.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually in the first few pages of a parts book, especially a later split book, there are vin number breakdowns. it is not as specific as the progressive refinements breakdown, but you could show your vin was in a certain year range.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: