Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaking Sliding Window -- OUCH!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgoodwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Squeaking Sliding Window -- OUCH! Reply with quote

I just bought an '84 1.9L Vanagon and she is wonderful!

However, the sliding glass door right above the stove/fridge area squeaks horrifically when you open it. I tried to figure out what was causing it, but the squeak is so deafening, I had to come back to it with earplugs. Seems to possibly be rubbing against old rubber possibly?

Has anyone dealt with similar issues on these sliding windows? I am hoping there is a quick fix.

Thanks!
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably missing the plastic slider in the bottom channel, or it is worn right through.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Squeaking Sliding Window -- OUCH! Reply with quote

Mine does the same thing. On mine, it's the vertical metal bar in the middle of the window scraping across the moving glass. If I pull out on the metal a little as I open the window, there's no sound. It's annoying, but I don't want to brute-force the metal either. Unfortunately, I simply haven't had the time to research solutions here yet.

mgoodwin wrote:
I just bought an '84 1.9L Vanagon and she is wonderful!

However, the sliding glass door right above the stove/fridge area squeaks horrifically when you open it. I tried to figure out what was causing it, but the squeak is so deafening, I had to come back to it with earplugs. Seems to possibly be rubbing against old rubber possibly?

Has anyone dealt with similar issues on these sliding windows? I am hoping there is a quick fix.

Thanks!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used various sprays on the top and bottom tracks, most recently some silicone spray and now my sliding windows have finally quieted down. Took a while for the spray to work its way in. I also sprayed a Q-Tip and wiped various places on the track I thought might need it. Keep after it.

Remember: window screech, wife screech; window quiet...
snowesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine used to squeek. I figured out that it was the glass rubbing on the plastic frame of the screen that was making the noise. I took out the screens and viola! no squeek Very Happy I like being able to open them while I drive for the airflow, and no (no more than normal at least) noise. When I cam, I pop them back in. Will be making some magnetic-on screens for the side windows, as well as the door windows when I get a chance. (Well, realistically, spring. Since it's cold now / no bugs...).
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
You are probably missing the plastic slider in the bottom channel, or it is worn right through.

Same as mine. You can get replacement sliders from Van Cafe... http://www.volkscafe.com/main.jsp?pa=p&p=1464530415&pct=1508353218&ct=142109052 ...but they apparently only fit the newer van, not an '84 like yours (or mine). The sliders have small "wings" on the side to hold them in place but on the older sliding windows they seem to be almost impossible to install. If you cut the wings off, then they don't stay in place. You can modify the sliding window a bit to accept them (apparently) but you have to pull the window to do it. Nuts. There was a discussion on this somewhere here quite a while back. I've just discovered Gorilla Glue and I thought I'd try gluing a wingless- set in and see if it will hold.

If anyone else has newer info on this painful problem, I'd love to hear it m'self.
mgoodwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the good info!

Turns out it was the glass of the windows scraping against the screen plastic.

When I pulled back the screen and opened it VOILA, no screeching!

So, next step is to remove the screen and sand it down so it wont scrape, or apply some tape to the edge so that it rubs against something non-screechy Smile

BUT, I can't figure out how in the heck to get the screen off... Can someone help me?
Pascal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search on how to remove those screens. IIRC you puch down and out from the inside bottom of the screen frame. They should pop right out. Whatever you do, do not pry them out or you will likelly break the tabs holding the screen frame in place.

BTW I modified my '84 sliders to acept the newer plastic guide pieces. I wrote up the process on the Vanagon mailing list and on the Samba. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=296393&highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: