Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Loose driver's window - rocks back & forth
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Loose driver's window - rocks back & forth Reply with quote

The driver's side window in my 87 westy rocks back and forth a good 1/8 inch. I took the door panel off and it looks like it's loose where the window mounts to the bar that runs up'n'down in the door. Do I need a new regulator or is there a easier(cheaper) way?
BCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some help please. Is my description of the problem not clear?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: loose window Reply with quote

There are no parts that can easily be replaced to fix your issue. There is just a small tab at the back of the door that the glass rests on. you can bend it a little ,but as there is no guide it will always slop.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I was getting ready to take my door apart to address the same issue. I think mine has MORE than 1/8 inch movement. Slops forward when I stop, slops backward when I start. There's got to be something to be done!!!!

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my vanagons do it, and I've always meant to address the problem, but just haven't gotten to it yet. Now you're saying there's nothing that can be done? I don't buy it. If they can put a man on the moon...
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
Conant.D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: window slop Reply with quote

I have the same issue with my window. Anyone addressed this issue with success. Any images of the fix?

Thanks,

Drew
advenus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this as well. A pair of wind and rain deflectors fixed the wobble and eliminated the whistle that was associated with gap. The whistle drove me nuts so this was a major plus in the fix. Here is the link fron Van-Cafe. Many other venders carry the same product.
http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?pa=p&p=492528852&pct=1724589872&ct=1900168093
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had the passenger door panel off and the manual window guts out of my '87 Westy and can't figure what was rocking on your door. The door trim has an inside scraper, an outside scraper and a window channel that runs from the back up over the top of the window. If all these parts are there and not too badly worn and the window is bolted tightly to the mount of the frame inside the door, there should not be anything that would let it tip fore-and-aft. I also have the Weathertech rain shields from GoWesty and these snug up the fit, but only for the top 3" or so at the top of the window track when it rolls up.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the door inside panel off. If you feel around at the bottom of the door cavity you will probably find a 1"-2" square piece of felt. It should be glued back in place, either at the front top or the rear top of the guide (can't recall exactly). The edge of the window glides on this felt. At least this is what fixed mine ('86 Westy).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
BCWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. The rocking is most noticeable when the window is all the way down, so it's not really in contact with window channel at that point. the slop seems to be coming from where the part that pinches the window attachs to the guide bar that runs up'n'down in the door. I don't think that wind deflectors would help my problem.
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

threre are 3 things that you can do
1 sell me the van cheap.... well it does have a door problem....lol

2 try to pich the loose area on the lower glass mounting
3 check the window channel to see if there is any moulding left..
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the glass mounts is that the bottom edge fits into a U-shaped metal channel (and the glass has a thin rubber cushion between it and the metal) that mounts to the winding mechanism. Where that metal channel attaches to the winder it is held by two bolts and there is a little slop where the thing slides up and down on the track inside the door. The only thing I can think is that somehow the slider has developed more slop than usual or you lost the two little white nylon glides that fit on the top and bottom of the sliding piece and that is causing more slop.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe the white nylon guides in more detail? Like shape and where they attach? I am having the same problem with my driver window and I cannot find any loose bolted connections. The carrier channel at the bottom of the glass seems to be held by only one bolt and the window is pivoting on this. Am I missing another bolt attachment?

I don't see anything resembling a white nylon glide anywhere. BTW, I have power windows.

Cheers,

mordo
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mordeaux/Mordo,
Here's a link from a post I made on the Yahoo list. You might have seen it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/PassengerWindowRepairAndSoundproofing#

Last photo shows the remaining plastic piece mentioned. Bolts that attach the glass attach in the slot on the right and at the left somehow. My memories of that day have mercifully been obliterated.
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fotos, Campi. However, you got them old-fangled windy-up windows and I think the power window design must be different. Mines don't look like yorn.

I will have to get in there this evening and poke around more thoroughly. I have both driver and passenger interior panels out now so I can compare. My passenger side doesn't move the way the much oftener-used driver side does.
zacamil7525
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Campisim could you PMail me?
mordeaux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodnock, you are entirely correct in your recommendation to re-attach the felt piece. I couldn't find one inside my driver's door so I used some low-loop carpet. Works as it should. Whilst in the pax door, I reattached that felt as it was about to fall off.

Thanks for the solution!
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys! I took the door panel off today to see what s going on inside of my door since I ve had the same problem. I first inspected the u shaped metal channel where glass sits. rubber inside the metal was good looking and glass was fsitting firm inside of it but the metal channel assembly felt a little loose from the guide rail. Next thing I inspected was the felt material (scraper?)in the window trim. it was all worn and I could see space between the glass and the scraper. It probably was never replaced before. I tried to replace the whole thing inside the window trim before but quit due to the expensive parts. So this is what I did to fix the problem today and it's rock solid now. Very Happy

Quote:
Take the door inside panel off. If you feel around at the bottom of the door cavity you will probably find a 1"-2" square piece of felt. It should be glued back in place

mine was still in place but noticed pretty worn. Instead replacing it, I just peeled it off from the door, put 3M double sided taped (1/16" thick) on the back of the old felt piece , and put back on where it came off from. Now that felt piece is about 1/16 " thicker and gave a good contact on the rear side edge of the glass. That fixed about 50% of my problem. The window didn't move back and forth by itself anymore but I could move it back and forth with my hand easily. So the next thing I did was to give a good contact between the glass and the white foam which is glued on close to the felt piece to support the outer side of the window. I shoved two pieces of felt in the back of the foam to push out the foam towards me to compensate the worn loss. the foam was originally glued on to the door but I was still able to slide in the felt pieces.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After this, I WASN'T able to rock the window back and forth easily WITH my hands anymore. Cool

However, this fix was only good until the window was 2/3 up the way. As the widow closes more, the bottom portion of the glass leaves the white foam support and nothing is supporting it any more. Mad

so this is the fix to support the glass when the glass is up more than 2/3 way. I cut out a felt peice so that it fits tightly inside of the worn window trim. I fixed it. my window doesn't rock back and forth anymore no matter where the glass is located. Very Happy Very Happy

The felt piece should have been black but that was only color that I found from my tool shed. Laughing

While at it I finished the sound deadning project on the door with raam mat and it really made the door feel solid.

I hope my reply helps guys
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the dead. Very Happy

At the last camp spot a couple weeks ago, I noticed the driver's door window rocked back and forth when down and was obviously hitting metal at the back.

Rodknock wrote:
Take the door inside panel off. If you feel around at the bottom of the door cavity you will probably find a 1"-2" square piece of felt. It should be glued back in place, either at the front top or the rear top of the guide (can't recall exactly). The edge of the window glides on this felt. At least this is what fixed mine ('86 Westy).

Removed the door panel and found ^that to be the problem. No felt square on the metal tab. Didn't bother to search for it; 30-year-old felt wouldn't be worth reinstalling. Found some felt at Walmart, cut it to size, applied glue to the sticky side (to ensure long-lasting adhesion), and problem solved!

Of course, I then decided to install the new window seal kits I bought two years ago only to discover GoWesty sent 4 of the same bottom inner/outer seal despite the package labels showing otherwise. Rolling Eyes Mad
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Removed the door panel and found ^that to be the problem. No felt square on the metal tab.

cool! mine does the same thing i thought it was going to be something big with the regulator/guides so i've avoided looking at it. having no AC, my window is down a lot in the summer and i get the chunk-chunk as my arm shifts the glass.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: