Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best Vanagon Shops in Seattle, WA
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgoodwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Best Vanagon Shops in Seattle, WA Reply with quote

I need to get my hot start resolved... anyone have any recommendations for a good shop that I can trust to resolve this as much as it can be resolved?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Best Vanagon Shops in Seattle, WA Reply with quote

mgoodwin wrote:
I need to get my hot start resolved... anyone have any recommendations for a good shop that I can trust to resolve this as much as it can be resolved?

I would start by checking Roadhaus.com, here is the link, scroll down to Washington and you should find some to get you started.

http://www.roadhaus.com/shops_advanced_search_results2.php
Happy hunting.
Jeffrey
OxygenDestroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have personal experience with three of them.

Wolfsburg Motorwerks in Ballard

Fine Tuning Performance - North Seattle on Hwy 99

Campbell-Nelson VW in Lynnwood

My experiences have been fine on all 3. For your particular problem I think all would be ok - none are cheap, but they all do work on Vanagons regularly.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Buttera Motors (no end of Kirkland on 100th) for a simple radiator replacement when I did not have time to do it myself.

They have continuous vanagons rolling through their shop (and not the same ones! Wink )

I am very satisfied with there service on that note. Also if you head south to Ovals, and ask for Don to work on your vehicle - he is excellant, owns vanagons and was at the dealership for years before making the switch.

Paul
ScottN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also highly recommend Jack at Wolfsberg in Ballard.

http://www.wolfsburgmotorwerksinc.com/button4.htm

-Scott
CREGAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petersen's in Port Angeles has been great. I would go there but it is a bit of a trip.
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonfly Vans. www.dragonflyvans.com

We have been very happy with Scott's work.
ratfarmer_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my personal experiences I would skip Buttera and Chaplins VW.

I will recommend Carter VW, Fine Tuning, Small Car and Dragonfly Vans.
The above list is not in any particular order.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid Fine Tuning, they did a TDI conversion for me and everything they touched has failed or is in the process of failing. I have had to or another shop has redone 95% of what they did, incompetent is the nicest word I can use to describe the work. I am working on a review but things keep falling apart, I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel so hopefully I can get it wrapped up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rabbit 16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
Avoid Fine Tuning, they did a TDI conversion for me and everything they touched has failed or is in the process of failing. I have had to or another shop has redone 95% of what they did, incompetent is the nicest word I can use to describe the work. I am working on a review but things keep falling apart, I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel so hopefully I can get it wrapped up soon.

Did you ask them to take care of any of the issues you had?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard anything in almost 2 months which is actually fine since I have had an additional 2k worth of repairs since then. When I get the final total I will reinitiate communication and if he continues to do what he has done it will go in a whole new direction. Stay tuned, these things take time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rabbit 16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, thats strange. Did you take the van back to them and ask them to take care of the issues?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought of having him touch my van again terrifies me, when I get the full review up you will understand.

There is a famous saying that really applies here "If you can't afford the time/money to do it right the first time how are you going to have the second time around"

In my case that would also include the skill set necessary to do it correctly.

I am also following the advice of people I am paying to help me with this and numerous PMs I've received concerning his work.

I am now out more than 24k...and counting.

Like I said, a full review will be forthcoming.
rabbit 16v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. So you had a conversion done, there were some problems and you refused to take it back to the shop that performed the work under warranty?
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Like I said, a full review will be forthcoming.

You must be really bored if want to get involved in this. I don't want to have to keep repeating myself.
newenglandnative
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Best Vanagon Shops in Seattle, WA Reply with quote

Dragonflyvans or The Wagon Shop in Kirkland.

If you really want a personal experience, go with Dragonfly Vans.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd avoid Wolfsburg like the plague. he left my car out in a massive rain storm, let my car cover blow down the street and never even offerd to replace it. I took it to him for a engine rebuild and was more than happy to spend money but he let it sit for over a month getting trashed in his customer parking area. just the facts.

now, Scott and his shop Dragonfly Vans is great. can't say enough good things about him. very small one man operation but he's been hugely helpfull to me. given a choice I'd go to him without a second thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jkjacob123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Fine Tuning Report Reply with quote

I recently had 2 Tiico upgrade kits installed by Fine Tuning. They are very knowledgeable but I had several issues. If you would like additional info, just email me.
OxygenDestroyer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack at Wolfsburg installed my rebuilt wbx. They are a bit quirky over there but I have no complaints. My engine just now has about 500 miles. I just took it back to them yesterday and they did the first break-in oil change for free - she's running like a champ. I've now done maybe 10k worth of work with them in the last 3 years spanning 2 different vans and my overall experience has been a positive one.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this just keeps getting better. For those who didn't know rabbit 16v is the owner of Fine Tuning. He had me going for awhile there but some thing about his phrasing seems eerily familiar.

I find it at best immature that he would ignore me personally for over 2 months then get on here and pretend like he had no previous knowledge of the situation.

Over on the TDI vanagon group he acted hurt when another shop owner contacted him via the forum yet that's exactly what he did here though with the pretending part. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TDI-conversion/message/13512

So now you have a first hand experience of what you can expect with "Fine Tuning".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: