Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

nasty dash - gappy doors
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajio181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

Hi-my boyfriend and I are writing to you from the northern highlands of mexico and we are considering our first vw purchase... a 1975 safari. looked at one today and it had a wood paneled dash and there were gaps between the body and rear doors when closed.when sitting in the back seat, you could see straight through to the outside.
the safari never came with a wood paneled dash, did it? and the gaps? what could cause that? it didnt look like it had ever been hit, should there be a seal there? any help advice, or comments are greatly appreciated. -amy
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

I have never seen one with a wood panel dash.Look and hope there is a metal dash under the wood if you intend to buy it.Thing parts can be very hard to locate,although I have been told they are easier to find in Mexico,but they come up here once in a while if you are patient.The doors should have a seal on the door itself and a rubber welt around the body (not a seal) opening. Look at the door from the outside when closed and if the gap between the door and the body is fairly even all the way around the door it probably just needs a door seal.The kind of gap you are describing would be very obvious from the outside when the door is closed if it was from a collision. Best of luck to you two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajio181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:50 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

Thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed to know! We are test driving the safari for the second time today and man,, it drives like a dream...we have looked at some visually beautiful safaris but they drove REAL sketchy- so we do have something to compare to. This one needs a decent amount of cosmetic work to get it back to stock (what ever '75 stock is?)Looks like I have some more research to do!
Thanks again!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

If you need dash panels, i have 'em. i also have decent used door seals, and all sorts of other stuff. e-mail me with needs.
bajio181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

cool- thanks... we may just do that. today i took another look at that dash and the paneling is actually this cheesy contact paper crap....eeewww- no accounting for other peoples taste especially here in mexico.and, yes, it needs seals on the back doors. we are gonna go to a vocho(bug) show here on sunday, check out some other safaris and decide whether we should make an offer on this one or not...this guy is asking $4,000. us dollars, but the floor pans are not so hot, the interior is crappy but liveable, the window wiper motor needs fixed, fakey homemade side curtains,and the hard top leaks....BUT- mechanically its sound as a pound...
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

bajio181: it sounds like not a good deal at all. To begin $4,000 is way to much in Mexico for a Safari, unless it is in really good shape, and this one doesn't sound like it. Side curtains are hard to find anywhere so it doesn't count; but the dash job means a way of doing and treating cars. But specially that gap in the rear doors that stars as a little one at the botton and it grows as it goes up only means that the car is so rusty that the side of the body rusted away and the rear section of the car is leaning downwards. I have seem so many of those. If it drives like a dream as you said, even with those problems I think the price should be somewhere around $2,000.
By the way I am in Puebla.
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

I have not had any trouble finding Thing parts. Maybe not NOS but definitely good used or repro stuff. Good luck.

I kind of like a contact paper dash. Do you have a pattern? Just kidding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:09 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

bajio...If you are far enough north just come into the U.S. I would be happy to sell you a much nicer 1974 THING for less than $4,000 and I don't think that you have to pay import fees because of the age and country or origin. I am 100 miles from T.J. and I will take off the wood grain dash and the wood grain wheels and you will never know it was there (LOL). The wood grain on the top stays...
bajio181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

lastsafari,egroth,vwthing...
thanks for all your comments,, but i ended up doing alot of research and math and decided (as you were right lastsafari) that it wasn't a good deal. Low and Behold another safari for sale popped up and in my research discovered that this one was a steal...1977, needs minor cosmetic work, but the body is good, lots of original details... it needed an overhaul and a valve job...we got it for a little over $1,000 bucks!Needless to say that I'm pretty damn happy- and I keep reminding myself that this is not the safari to restore... this is just the project car to get me to around town...and it has NO fake woodgrain panneling!!!! thank the lowered...
bajio181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

lastsafari,,
by the way, we are in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato!
lastsafari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: nasty dash - gappy doors Reply with quote

http://mx.groups.yahoo.com/group/clubsafari/
bajio this is the address for the Safari club in Mexico. Get in touch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: