Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor delema
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Distributor delema Reply with quote

Started my '71 notch today after a total engine rebuild. The strange thing is though I couldn't get it to start until I started looking at the timing. It appears my distributor is 180 degrees out. If I switch the #1 and #3 wires and the #2 and #4 wires it runs like a dream. I used my strobe light and fine tuned the timing but now when the timing mark on the pulley is lined up and the rotor is lined up with the dist notch it's #3 thats at top dead centre not #1. I know the dist dog and the dist drive slot are off-set so lifting the dist and rotating the rotor 180 degrees won't fix it. I guess it's alright as long as I remember that top dead centre for cyl #1 is 180 degrees off. RIGHT??? Do I need to fix this? If so, How? Any tip is greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can leave the wires moved or you could remove the retaining pin on the drive dog and reinstall it 180 off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Glen. I Appreciate the help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
You can leave the wires moved or you could remove the retaining pin on the drive dog and reinstall it 180 off.

according to russ, doing this is BAD because it causes the #3 cylinder with the retarded lobe to be on the #1 cylinder.

this method only works if you're using an 009 or other mechanical distributor without the retarded lobe for #3.
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMskater wrote:
Glenn wrote:

according to russ, doing this is BAD because it causes the #3 cylinder with the retarded lobe to be on the #1 cylinder.

this method only works if you're using an 009 or other mechanical distributor without the retarded lobe for #3.

If the distributor drive is off 180 degrees and to rotate the drive dog 180 you are actually correcting the problem as long as you turn the body 180.

Think about it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ON a FI T-3, the distributor has trigger points in the base. Those need to be reasonably timed too. So that the rigth pair of injectors is opening at the right time.
If you know the distributor drive is in right, and the distributor is 180 out, then someone had flipped the drive dog before.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your Canadian notch with EFI or carbs?
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My notch is a FI model. I'm trying to understand what I might have done during the engine rebuild. It might be the way I re-installed the dist drive although I payed close attention to the manual (slot at 60 derees angle to block. Narrow side of slot pointed in the proper direction). I can't think of anywhere else I might have caused this.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were on TDC for #3 and not #1. Remember the cam turns at half speed to the crankshaft.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I set my valves starting with cyl 3 instaed of cyl 1 without knowing and set the remaining cylinders the same could this be my problem? I have switched the wires 1 for 3 and 2 for 4 and it runs. Maybe I need to check and make sure that when cyl 1 is definitely at TDC both valves are closed. If one is open could the car actually run just by switching wires?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the valves must be adjusted at TDC! Changing timing does not rectify it. You can damage the engine by running it with maladjusted valves.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what the gear should look like when the engine is on TDC #1.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the use of a thin rod to make sure the spring and washers do NOT get dropped into the case! A little grease on the shims also makes them stay in place once there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: