Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How long do they last? Exhausts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: How long do they last? Exhausts Reply with quote

How long do you think an ordinary steel exhaust system should last? I'm sure there are a lot of variables - climate, driving distances, quality of metal, etc...

I had a a system installed November '05 and am noticing at least one hole, after the muffled in the tail pipe. I've also noticed piles of rust under the van when it sits for some time, particularly in winter (Canadian winter). It seems the system is just rusting and falling off in piles of dust.!

What are your experiences? Is stainless woth it? Is original VW worth the expense?
Appreciate any comments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad told me a long time ago, how long your exhaust lasts will correlate closely with how much/little you drive. Short runs make condensation and then rust.

I bought my van 9 years ago, several long trips every year along with being a daily driver much of the time...I've replaced one muffler and nothing else in that time.

Todd
vw8716v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure but i can tell you this im in the process of replacing mine on my 85 and its a pain in the ass by yourself to change it. they like putting the bolts in the most frustating places ant leas on the driverside in the back underneath the ac and behind a bracket and hoses. Twisted Evil
dr. no
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of mine have the originals, less the front crossover pipe on the WBX (cracked at the #1 bracket and replaced with another original one). Therefore, I think 25+ years is not too much to expect. This is not a wet or salty area, though.

'83.5 Westy s/p 1.6td JX and 4sp DK transplant--wonderful!
'86 MB 300GD
'06 MB Sprinter
'17 BMW X1
'89 Isuzu Trooper

PAST VWs:
'82 NA diesel Vanagon
'86 7-passenger Vanagon
'77 Bay
'71 Bay
'74 Things (2)
'69 Karmann Ghia (the only one I miss--in nice weather, anyway...)
'91 Fox
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First one, the original, lasted 18 years. Second one, installed last summer, looks like crap after one year. I am expecting only 5-10 years out of this one.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned this before on threads pertaining to aftermarket exhausts (excluding TENCENTLIFE's system he'd designing); you get what you pay for. When folks start pricing a replacement for their 20 plus year old original exhaust, they balk at it's price, and buy the cheap aftermarket replacement. Then when that fails after a couple of short years, they end up going back and buying the stock replacement exhaust, which is what they should have done in the first place; ends up costing more.

Or, they buy yet another cheap aftermarket replacement, to replace the first cheap aftermarket exhaust. In that case, they should not be allowed to breed.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:

Or, they buy yet another cheap aftermarket replacement, to replace the first cheap aftermarket exhaust. In that case, they should not be allowed to breed.

Only with themselves Very Happy
BuffaloNyWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently put on a new exhaust system (busdepot) i store the vehicle in a garage for the winter (non-climate controlled) my question_ has anyone heard of placing mothballs around the exhaust system to keep moisture down?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you season the pipes with peanut oil it'll retard their rusting--especially in the salt belt,& PNW.

A little prevention will go a long way--especially as far as exhaust system's go---
VWGeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh! The smell of fresh roasted peanuts. Jokeing aside that is an awsome tip for us poor souls in the midwest. In Chicago, if you listen very closely at night you can hear you volkswagen rust. I'm just happy that our cars rust a little slower than MGs. Shocked
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I just heard my muffler strap.
CapitolDubber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My van is on @ least #2, and a quality replacement is high up the list if I ever get it running.

Any recommendations on good aircooled exhausts? i want it loud and powerful Surprised
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CapitolDubber wrote:

Any recommendations on good aircooled exhausts? i want it loud and powerful Surprised

These guys do a nice 4-2-1 system for Type4's. Pricey, but it's what you're after:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/UprightConversionHeaders.htm

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
terryg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
CapitolDubber wrote:

These guys do a nice 4-2-1 system for Type4's. Pricey, but it's what you're after:

http://www.tangerineracing.com/UprightConversionHeaders.htm

Didn't see anything that would fit a square port T4 on that site.....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: