Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing Westfalia top. Nylon or Canvas
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Replacing Westfalia top. Nylon or Canvas Reply with quote

How waterproof are the newer style nylon tops for the Westfalia?

I would prefer to stay with the orignal canvas, but when it rains I dont like the canvas getting wet because of the mold and musty smells. And since I camp out in the Pacific Northwest a lot a waterproof top would mean I could keep the top open more often.

And also, are the nylon tops easier to fold in than the canvas tops?

I did search nylon and canvas tops

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just Jake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sno seal

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

repels water and with a hair dryer will waterproof most anything, including your hands after using it.
rumplestilskin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know a guy that will produce a early top for 200$ out of a material called sunbrella. its the best look it up(late top 300)
Campmobile Chris74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake - I think using sno seal would change the orginal texture of the canvas. I want to keep it as original as possible.

I will look up sunbrella Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used Thompson's Waterseal on our canvas rental tents for years with good success. I also use it on my Westfalia canvas side tent. Works great: One coat of Waterseal brushed on everything but the screens; two coats around the seams. Just leave the tent up for a day or so to completely dry.

IMO any of the poptop tents must be stowed carefully so as not to pinch the material. My 68 Westy has used small, short bungees to keep the lowered canvas from encroaching on the living space while traveling.

Sunbrella lasts a long time; some don't like the plasticky feeling of Sunbrella, as compared to good ol' cotton canvas. Others are just glad to have a 'roof' over their anatomy.

J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)
Paslode235
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put in a new canvas in my 74 about 4 years back. Our first trip out we had a massive thunder storm which dumped 4 inches on us in a matter of a few hours. This washed out bridges and caused a lot of flooding. The canvas worked great and never leaked once. Since then we have camped in many MANY rain storms and stayed perfectly dry. Our canvas has never leaked. It also doesn't smell like mildew and has no mold. We just alway make sure it is dried out when we get home from camping. It only takes and hour or two in the sun to get it good and dry and most time that happens the next day in the camp ground.

All in All don't worry about the canvas. It works just as great as the engineers in Germany thought.

Mint Green 1965 Beetle - "Misty"
White 1974 Westy - "The Fig Rig"
Yellow 1972 Super Beetle - "Jasper" RIP
Black 2001 Jetta wagon - "Gadget"
Red 2004 Jetta TDI - "Lucy"
itlives
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the cheaper nylon? type tent. I sprayed it down with some Scotch Guard but have yet to be in the rain with it.
I'm kinda scared to ! Shocked
I wish I had paid more and got the canvas Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: