Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modify your sink drain line and pick up a little more room.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Modify your sink drain line and pick up a little more room. Reply with quote

I just wanted to share a modification that we made to our Westy to free up a little more room under the sink. And it is cheep. You can go with standard hardware store 1/2" pvc. Use a short section of the original hose to splice from the drain to the new pvc. Hint: heat the hose to get it to slip over the pvc. Use a hose clamp to secure. A heat gun was use to soften and bend the new pvc down pipe to get it to conform to the outside wall, moving it out of the middle lower part of the cabinet. Connect it all up with the proper angles/connectors. It was easier to split the down pipe at the upper shelf and install it as two sections. I made it go all the way to the floor then over to the drain. A large O-ring cushioned the pipe through the floor pan. As only water goes through it, the sharp corners shouldn't matter.

The bottom shelf was remade to get rid of the slit down the middle to pick up a little more shelf area.

Joe

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I was just looking at my drain the other day (while trying to fit camping cookware into the cabinet) and said to myself, "Self? There must a way to move that drain line to give me more room."

Thanks for doing the engineering.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neatly done JPrato!

I did away with my drain altogether as I only use the tank to heat water for showers and dishes.

But, now, has anyone figured out how to get that cutlery drawer apart to build a new back and base, avoiding that large cutout in it? I've tried, but short of braking something, I can't figure out how it might come apart.

All I really need is - how to get the front panel off so I could build a complete new drawer behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had done something similar only I used black rubber hose and a right angle hose fitting at the floor and clamped it all together. Nice job.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPrato,
Can you elaborate on the additional electrical goodies in that sink cabinet? Thanks!
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like a Blue Sea fuse box for the aux battery. It's a bit spendy, but a nice way to go. There are many threads about this fuse box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why there has to be the large PVC. I am switching to a set up like the one GW sells:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2424&category_id=128&category_parent_id=

I have a black right angle Ptrap, similar to the one sold by GW, that I got out of an old Adventurewagen baywindow. Not sure why the same era Westy's had a large Ptrap with overflow out the side. A 3/4" hose to the floor from there was my plan.
E

Just a regular guy
JPrato
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

campism wrote:
JPrato,
Can you elaborate on the additional electrical goodies in that sink cabinet? Thanks!

Yes, not much here that wasn't already done on this board before. The aux box is a Blue Sea Systems, model 5025. It can be found on ebay, it's very nice! This serves as the distribution point for my second battery connected with #8 wire and a 30amp master fuse. The fridge, two fridge aux fans, rear lights and power ports come off this box. I did away with the relay for the fridge. It stays on whether the engine is on or not. Nice for when you stop to eat or fuel up but it could run the battery down if you forget. One circuit runs up to the dash to power the radio and cig lighter there.

There is a 1 amp battery charger mounted above the aux box to continuously charge the battery while on shore power. This seems to be more than adequate to keep the second battery charged up with the electrical load we draw while camping. Of course you can see the liberal use of the aircraft cable clamps, I love those guys. You can get them at Aircraft Spruce http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ms21919clamps.php

87 Syncro Tin Top project
84 Westy, 2.5L Subaru power
06 Subaru 2.5 turbo in waiting
46 Cessna 140
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the clear tubing doing? That I see in the background?

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a new water line to the sink. The original would have come out of the hole in the back panel.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
That looks like a new water line to the sink. The original would have come out of the hole in the back panel.

My 1983 has the same route for the water line stock:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(Not yet reconnected in this photo.)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: