Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ever had a wheel fall off?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick73Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the early 70s I was going to school in Camden NJ, someone broke into my 66 Beetle but there was nothing good to steal. They loosened the lugs on my right rear tire. I got up to about 20mph before I heard a clapping sound and then a crash, the wheel passed me. I had to remove bolts from the other wheels to re-install, but managed to drive it home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Wheel goes bouncing by us. Reply with quote

While building ny son's Chop ,we spent many a mile towing between different shops to have things done.
We had put the wheels back on and let the car down and proceeded to tow the car for some welding, not a quarter mile from our house we heard the pop Pop Pop of lug nuts coming loose. The wheel went by us at about 40 miles an hour through an intersection hit a curb and landed about 4 inches from some ones hose in their rock garden.
We were lucky there were no cars in the intersection and no pedestrians. This thing would have gone through the stucco and done some serious damage.
3 months later after putting the tranny back in we neglected to put the cotter key in the axle nut. When we got to our destination the nut was about off and the wheel was hitting the fender. This was after 10 miles on the freeway
We have now learned our lesson.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school 35 years ago, I used to think it was cool to put my 62 Beetle into reverse and let the clutch out quickly to make the tires squeal. One beautiful fall day my buddy and I skipped school. We were driving down the road about 50 miles per hour. Guess what? All those times of squealing the tires in reverse must have sheared off the cotter pin holding the rear brake drum on. We heard a big thump while the back end of the car dropped down and there went my rear wheel rolling down the highway! We were dragging along, riding on the brake shoes.

I don't know how we ever got that rear brake drum back on over the mangled up brake shoes, but we did it.

63 Beetle
72 Schnepp XL13 Vintage Formula Vee
72 Caldwell D13 Vintage Formula Vee
71 Super Beetle convertible
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lumbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ever had a wheel fall off? Reply with quote

I fell like I need to cleanse myself. I am to embarrassed to tell anyone else, so I wil do it here. 56 Oval that was a barn find. Rebuilt the motor over the winter and have been tooling around the block this summer on dry rotted tires from 1975. Decided it was time for fresh rubber. Got those put on on Friday. I took the whees/tires down to the store myself, so I put the wheels back on here at my house. Put them on and swear I tightened everything down...but maybe not. Riding down the road about 30mph the front was a little shaky, then Boom...spap...then the most awful grinding sound you ever heard in your life. I let it scrape in to a side road and sure enough the front left wheel was laying on its side, and not lug nuts be found. Embarassed

It will be a while before I'm comfortable going down the road in this thing.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever had a wheel fall off? Reply with quote

In '69 I had a '58 van with 8" slicks on Chevy rims & adapters on the back. One day my buddy and I installed the rears from his Meyers Manx on the front of my van. The combo looked pretty cool.

We were headed downhill on a stretch of new freeway not far from Diamond Head (Honolulu), when the drivers side front wheel came off. Scared the hell out of me. I guess it was lucky that it wedged up into the wheel well, rather than sailing off. Luckier yet that no one was near me. Live & learn ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever had a wheel fall off? Reply with quote

Had the wheels powdercoated on my wifes 64…… Mounted up the tires and bolted them on torqued to spec. Drove an hour away to a car show. On the way back home, Heard what I thought was a tire going flat. Immediately pulled over and the left rear of the car dropped. The drum was sitting on the inside of the wheel. All lug bolts were inside the hubcap.

If you powder coat your wheels, Remove ALL powder coating from lug bolt holes as well as the surface area that butts against the brake drums….

I consider myself lucky
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
deaaaanno.vw1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever had a wheel fall off? Reply with quote

yup! couple of months back, my rear tires was faster than me and passed me. was with some friends and everybody had a good laugh. glad nobody was hurt including me, the car and people around the area.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
richard123vmt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ever had a wheel fall off? Reply with quote

On a VW, no. It was my first car, a 57 Ford hardtop. I heard the rattling of the nuts in the hibcap but was clueless as to what it was. The wheel came off and rolled ahead of me. It was a very busy street but somehow my mechanic came and took care of it on the spot. It was such an obvious sound but I had never heard it before.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: