Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Boxes/ exchangers
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Heater Boxes/ exchangers Reply with quote

So I recently discovered that my 74 Thing has an engine from a 73,

I'm curious as to how VW originally connected the heater boxes to the fan shroud.

The P.O. fabricated some awkwardly bent metal tubing but one of the two pipes has gone missing.

Are these parts still available?
howiesfamily
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan shroud for 73 is not made for use with heat exchangers. You will need to put a 74 shroud on it. It's just a regular beetle shroud with the two round outlets for hooking up hoses too.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about j tubes? I have a good supply of German heat exchangers including heavy duty flanged ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about the part that connects the heater box itself to the fan shroud,

I have a 74 shroud with the bendy metal hoses coming off the shroud. But the part that connects the boxes to those bendy metal hoses has gone missing.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What muffler do you have? Off of the shroud of a 74 comes paper tubes that hook to the heat exchangers unless you have a stock exhaust and then the muffler has these connectors that are part of the muffler.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youll also need to punch two holes under your back seat and insert a sleeve to accomodate heater tubes. you have to take the engine out to change the shroud, I did this on my 73 i had way back when, and I had great heat by using both the gas heater and heat exchangers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike... don't confuse Jack. He has a '74 with a '73 engine, so he has the proper holes in the body.
Jack, some pictures would help. Do you have a stock muffler of something in a tube header?
The stock muffler has a pair of "Clam shells" wrapped around the exhaust pipes from the head. The flex tubes go from the shroud to the clam shells, the clam shell connect to the heater boxes with wide hose clamps. A tube header does not use the clam shells and the flex tube goes directly to the heater box.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a tri-mill "Wild Boar" exhaust
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The part I'm misssing is the upper tube that allows fresh air (from the shroud) into the heater boxes.

The part that the bendy hoses (painted black in my pictures) connect to.

Fun 181
Zu Geil!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 74 with the Tri-Mil exhaust. Right now I'm using heavy duty heater hoses (http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13%2D3515) that connect from the shroud right to the heater boxes. No problems with melting or anything like that so far.

I met one Thing owner at a show who said that he bought flexible metal exhaust tubing and ran it from the heater boxes to the small metal connector that fits through the engine tin (this part: http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D255%2D165). He then connected stock heater hoses to complete the set up. He said it worked well.

So I went to the auto parts store and picked up the flexible metal tubing, but couldn't get it to bend at the correct angle. It's heavy duty metal tubing that doesn't have a lot of give. So, I'm still running the HD hoses right to the heater boxes. Like I said, it's been OK so far. If you end up using the HD rubber hose you'll need to cut off those cheap plastic clamps that are stapled onto it and use real metal hose clamps. Those plastic clamps are worthless.

Just curious... you say you have a '74 with a '73 engine yet the engine has a '74 shroud and heater boxes. Why do you say the engine is from a '73?
Acetone Jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met the P.O. and he told me how he switched the shroud and modified some heater boxes. He had a 73 and 74, he switched the engines and what not.

Thanks for your help!
rt110099
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Heater conversion Reply with quote

I just purchused a 73/typ 181 and the PO has taken out the gas heater and now there is no heat or defrost what do I need to do to convert it to draw heat off the engine?

I have a couple of bugs and was wondering if its just the same as them or do I need to try and find the gas heater and put it back in?

This is my first thing and could not pass it up for the price

Laughing
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater conversion Reply with quote

rt110099 wrote:
I just purchused a 73/typ 181 and the PO has taken out the gas heater and now there is no heat or defrost what do I need to do to convert it to draw heat off the engine?

I have a couple of bugs and was wondering if its just the same as them or do I need to try and find the gas heater and put it back in?

This is my first thing and could not pass it up for the price

Laughing

Well living in Oregon you will eventually want some heat.

There's some good threads on restoring, upgrading or modifying Thing heat/defrost systems. Citroen has a pretty good setup. There's always the option of replacing the gas heater.

Modifying a 73 to a 74 system will require a new fan shroud, heater boxes, and related ducting. Defroster duct is also different. Your frame doesn't have the guide tubes for the control cables. You will also have to punch two holes through the body.

Third option is to buy a propane fired heater (Mr. Heater like some bus people do.)

Personally, I'd restore the original gas heater.
citroen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: heat Reply with quote

you can check my gallery to see my heat system it does work well i used it last winter i drove in 20 degree weather and was warm, if you dont have defroster tubes under the dash and you get the heat to the front i ran a 3/4 pvc tube the length of the dash with holes drilled about every inch facing the window with a tee in the middle i always had a clear window i used the right heat box for the window with a flap so i could change it to all heat and i used the left for the drivers heat on the floor you can use 1 1/2 od 2 inch pvc tubing on the floor from the back to the front inside the body there is no problem with melting they held up good
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the work you will need to do and the related cost you are probably better off going with the gas heater.
rt110099
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips

The PO disassembled the heater and removed all of the wiring so I'm starting from scratch...

He gave me most of the parts when I picked it up and at that time I did not know something like that existed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I will do some searching in here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: