Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 Westy AC install
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: 84 Westy AC install Reply with quote

I have the Air conditioning setup that was used in the early 80's (mine is an 84 westy). It has the evap/blower fan motor in the rear upper shelf of the camper cabinet (this unit is the one that blows the cold air at the back of your head). A previous owner removed the evap/blower and condensor, along with the AC wiring harness, and I've since replaced the evap/blower and condensor from parts bought here from fellow Sambies. Here's my delima: the Bentley (around page 97.134ish) has the 83-84 AC wiring diagram for the front part of the harness (wiring to new fuses, radiator fan, etc). Some of the wiring color codes do not match my harness. The harness I have came off of an 83.5 or 84 westy. I'm aware that these AC unit's were installed by the dealership, so kits are going to differ. My wiring assembly has 3 relays; one for the evap/blower fan that triggers off of the AC fan/temp switch located on the dash. This trigger (green wire) also feeds the relay for the radiator fan. Then there's a relay for the AC clutch. I'm just looking for confirmation of wiring colors and such. There's also a black "box" that has wire positions 1-8 (I'm assuming this is the "temperature circuit"), that does not match the Bentley as to assignments and color code. Two of it's 8 positions has two grey wires that eventually run to the rear, and then to a pair of "stiff" grey wires that connect to a red cap (resembles heat shrink). I'm assuming this is some sort of temperature probe that is inserted into the evaporator to detect temperature?

Has anyone documented the color codes for these early (82-85) years?

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
mmdingman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

i was hoping that someone had responded to this... I've just purchased a 85 weekender that... ...I now find out... ...that someone has retrofitted the A/C. Ah! It's on my list to confirm the wiring and solder the connections. but information is vague. Have you found a system diagram (relay locations, etc)? I'm sure that you know that Bentley starts with 86 for their a/c section.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: me too Reply with quote

mmdingman wrote:
i was hoping that someone had responded to this... I've just purchased a 85 weekender that... ...I now find out... ...that someone has retrofitted the A/C. Ah! It's on my list to confirm the wiring and solder the connections. but information is vague. Have you found a system diagram (relay locations, etc)? I'm sure that you know that Bentley starts with 86 for their a/c section.

Vanagon Bentley pages 97.137 and 97.138 have the 84-85 A/C wiring diagrams.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: