Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st gear grinding :-/
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: 1st gear grinding :-/ Reply with quote

We got back today from a huge roadtrip, the van ran great, but this morning something odd happened to the tranny.

1st engaged fine when we left "camp" this am.

I drove over a cattle grate at, uhhh, way to high of a rate of travel, everything seemed fine, nothing was seemingly hit or damaged.

Many miles later I came to a stop light, when it turned green 1st would not engage so I let the clutch out, re-depressed it and went to 2nd then 1st and 1st seemed to engage, but then popped out when I let off the clutch. I re-depressed the clutch and tried to go right into 1st again, it went, but with a pretty nasty crunch, the van drove away fine.

A while later at the next light 1st crunched pretty bad again, no matter how slowly I engage 1st it crunches, not just a little tickle either. I then proceded to go 2 --> 1 whenever needing 1st gear and it was fine all the way home as long as I did that, smooth as butter if I go into 2nd first.

The trans had a fresh change of Amsoil 75/90 weight synthetic gear lube put in it just before our trip started.

All the other gears work fine and nothing is unusual, MPGs are as normal.

Is there a possibility that the linkage just needs adjusting? Or is it something simple like a syncro that failed completely, for no reason, and can be fixed by simply rebuilding the transmission? (that was a joke) I've never had a syncro fail like that, fine one minute, then seemingly GONE the next.

Thoughts?

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would check two things before I donated my kidney for a new tranny. 1st the linkage can and does go out of adjustment. Ensure it is set up properly by the Bentley. Make the little block, to get the spacing in the shifter box above the spare. The plastic glide may have fallen off, so it needs to be re-spaced. The adjustment for depth of engagement on the shaft length can also be a problem.

The other item is the slave cylinder. Check and see if it is still bolted on completely or engaging the clutch all the way. If it is not completely depressing the clutch, it can cause hard shifting.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response! I'll keep my fingers crossed that its an adjustment.

Also, the shifter could use some new bushings, it rattles a fair bit between 3000 and 3500 RPM, I'll check it all out when I'm under there.

I also should have included that its an 82 air cooled tranny.

Samba ad here.

Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar grinding symptoms when I had a bad slave cylinder, so Dogpilot may be on the money with that.

But I never had it pop *out* of gear. That sounds very ugly, and different.

Worn motor mounts and transmission mounts can throw the linkage out of adjustment. That's especially true if the bushings on the shifter are worn out too. But again, I doubt this would pop the trans out of gear.

Being a fatalist, if I was in your shoes, I'd probably drain that newly-filled trans oil (sigh), and see what kind of metal fungus is growing on the magnetic drain plug... How bad did the fluid look when you drained the old stuff?
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since u crossed that GUARD too fast,i would 1st go underrr & check the mounts especially the front one, for busted rubber sections,loose bolts etc. If ok id check shifter linkage because it seemed to happen on the "crossing"-a lot of mass with eng & trans trying to stay put on a rough spot.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witless Joe wrote:
I had similar grinding symptoms when I had a bad slave cylinder, so Dogpilot may be on the money with that.

But I never had it pop *out* of gear. That sounds very ugly, and different.

There's a chance that it was not completely in 1st gear when that happened.

Hopefully I can get some space in my friends shop soon so I don't have to do this on the snow covered driveway.

Samba ad here.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bled the brakes and clutch slave cylinder, the pressure bleeder blew a hole in the rotten old hose that goes from above the fluid level in the reservoir to the master cylinder, so that was some added work to fix, plus brake fluid on the carpet :-/

I adjusted the shift linkage according to the bently, first with a 19mm spacer, which left 1st unacessible, unless I pushed down for reverse and only went left a little bit. I then tried a 22mm spacer and got the same results so I tried a 25mm spacer, better, but still no consistent first gear. I then bagged the spacer all together and pushed the bottom end of the shifter all the way left and its ok now, still grinds some, better then pre adjustment, but still worse than pre cattle grate...

All the plastic bits are worn and sloppy which doesn't help anything, When I have more time earl this summer I'll buy all the plastic bits from busdepot and hopefully that will make it better.

Samba ad here.

jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the trans fluid and it was low a 1/2 quart, topped it up and the problem is a little better, but still there, also messed with the shifter linkage for a while which gave me a little improvement, but all in all I think the clutch disc is not sliding on the tranny input shaft so when the clutch disengages the disc is still getting spun by the flywheel. I had these same symptoms in a 240 volvo and it was a sticking clutch disc on that car...

Samba ad here.

Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
but all in all I think the clutch disc is not sliding on the tranny input shaft so when the clutch disengages the disc is still getting spun by the flywheel. I had these same symptoms in a 240 volvo and it was a sticking clutch disc on that car...

suspect:the pilot bearing may be dragging
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill W wrote:
jackbombay wrote:
but all in all I think the clutch disc is not sliding on the tranny input shaft so when the clutch disengages the disc is still getting spun by the flywheel. I had these same symptoms in a 240 volvo and it was a sticking clutch disc on that car...

suspect:the pilot bearing may be dragging

Intersting......Never thought of that with my issue:

when my westy is cold, the first few shifts are difficult going into both first and second. It is hard to engage in first, and it grinds a bit going into second. After about 3 miles of driving, the problem goes completely away. I wonder if I am experiencing a dragging pilot bearing? I have done all the adjustments to the linkage, re-greased and changed the tranny fluid. This was done last summer and the problem less noticable but still there.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to have time to drop my tranny till mid/late may, but when I do I'll bump this thread with my findings. I'll certainly have a new pilot bearing around, an input shaft seal, and a throwout bearing as long as I have it all apart.

Samba ad here.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a pilot bearing you are going to do damage to the input shaft, clutch disc, and transmission by continuing to drive it, plus you may well end up on the end of a tow hook. When the one went in my Bay it locked the input shaft to the engine in downtown traffic, I came within inches of rear ending the guy in front of me before I could kill the engine. A major oh s#!t moment.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the guys that rebuilt the trans, transaxleengineering.

He was VERY helpful, he told me to let it idle then cram it into reverse quick like, I did, it was fine, I did it several times, all fine, as reverse works fine he said there was no issue with clutch drag or bad pilot bearing. He asked about brass in the old fluid, there was none I could see, he said that the syncros should be fine then and the problem should be able to be cured with shift linkage adjustment. I'll go mess with that some more, unfortunately since all the plastic bits are so worn the bently specs don't even come close to applying to my van...

Samba ad here.

foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to get in there and replace the plastic bits too. so you can actually adjust the linkage properly.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I drove all day in 4th gear, well I stopped for diesel once, but we drove ~600 miles, all interstate, all at ~65 MPH, at the end of the day I got off the interstate and went to put the van in 2nd while it was still rolling, and I got the same crunch that 1st has had since spring. Yes, I should have dealt with the tranny this summer, but I didn't, so here I am...

So the 2nd gear syncro went bad when it was not being used, Huh? Anyone have any ideas? I'm running out of good syncros! Laughing :-/

Samba ad here.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
So I drove all day in 4th gear, well I stopped for diesel once, but we drove ~600 miles, all interstate, all at ~65 MPH, at the end of the day I got off the interstate and went to put the van in 2nd while it was still rolling, and I got the same crunch that 1st has had since spring. Yes, I should have dealt with the tranny this summer, but I didn't, so here I am...

So the 2nd gear syncro went bad when it was not being used, Huh? Anyone have any ideas? I'm running out of good syncros! Laughing :-/

You might have a cracked 1-2 slider, time to pull here down no matter what.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah heck, you got 3 other good gears left; who needs first gear?

We don't need no stinkin' first gear!

Kidding aside, I'd check the adjustment as well. I'll gander an opinion that one or more bushings are worn, busted, or missing. If you or a previous owner have not replaced them, chances are they are in need of attention.

You can remove the shift bar from the transaxle and then see if the selector at the transaxle shifts smoothly into each gear (require you to do this underneath the vanagon of course, parked in your driveway).

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bushings are certainly worn, but the van is an 82 with the 091 trans and I don't know of anywhere that sells replacement bushings :-/

When the first gear syncro initially went bad I did mess with the linkage extensively, but nothing seemed to make much difference.

All the gears work fine, its just the first 2 syncros that are not doing anyhting, pretty odd symptoms...

The trans will come out this winter and shift linkage bushings will be obtained/fabricated as needed.

bucko wrote:
Ah heck, you got 3 other good gears left; who needs first gear?

We don't need no stinkin' first gear!

Kidding aside, I'd check the adjustment as well. I'll gander an opinion that one or more bushings are worn, busted, or missing. If you or a previous owner have not replaced them, chances are they are in need of attention.

You can remove the shift bar from the transaxle and then see if the selector at the transaxle shifts smoothly into each gear (require you to do this underneath the vanagon of course, parked in your driveway).

Samba ad here.

tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!

Hold it a minute. Has the 091 Tranny always been fed Dino oil or Synthetic?
I'll vote for Dino.

You've changed the formula that the 091 is used to. Yes, all of the other items are suspect.

Think Dino.
Pray
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikibus wrote:
Whoa!

Hold it a minute. Has the 091 Tranny always been fed Dino oil or Synthetic?
I'll vote for Dino.

You've changed the formula that the 091 is used to. Yes, all of the other items are suspect.

Think Dino.
Pray

Ok, sunday I'll swap out the trans oil for some dino.

Samba ad here.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: