Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fritz Berger side tent for Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: Fritz Berger side tent for Vanagon Reply with quote

I found a Fritz Berger made in Germany side tent in very good condition for $200.
Was this a good deal? Are these rare?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of it, but any side tent of decent quality and condition is easily worth that.
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got a Fritz Berger Campistar Tramp w/ our Vanagon. It's in mint condition. No question it's in good condition and it's a quality. Not even *that* old, think it was made/bought in 2003.

I wouldn't pay even $100 for this one, it's *huge*, heavy and an extra bag of big heavy metal poles on top of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No idea what these two poles were bought for. They don't have anything to do w/ the tent. Note right in front of it, part of the big bag of heavy polls. The tent comes in a 2nd bag, just as big and heavy...

And, then there is this part. I suspect it's supposed to some how (???) attach to the Vanagon. It's got a big heavy metal poll inside there, so not even sure I want it *near* my Vanagon. LOL

The thing even has a pretty little blue sheet made curtain w/ clips to attach it to the tent!

This thing had to have cost a fortune, but it's got old technology fabric and polls that make it big, bulky and heavy. I'm not even sure if/where we'd PUT it if we brought it along!?

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Storage-- Place the tent and pole bag on the rear bed against tge back of the rear seat. That is where we keep all of our tent types. Westfalia's brand name tent made by Herzog has aluminium poles but the cost was very expensive. The cheaper Herzog "Komet" is a great second choice but it has steel poles. These are not light fiberglass poles! To that note the poles that came with the set they are not "heavy" eather. We are talking a totall weight of 30-50lbs throughout the product range. I suggest working out if the gutter pole is consedered heavy by your stanards. learn how to set your tent up at home. place all poles and tent in a neat order in there correct bags. Remember these tents are designed to travel and go with you on your Vanagon! Your tent makes it so you can camp in the rain and wind. We also use ours in the desert to stay cool and out of the sun. Bugs--- Need not worry any more. Close it up at night and hangout till morning without bugs! I hope I pointed out the reasons for keeping and using a quality tent like yours.
Regards and enjoy
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BusDepot version of this tent has fiberglass poles, reducing size and weight.

http://www.busdepot.com/details/addaroom/

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS! Well apparently even this one *is* worth more if it was $400 new! Ouch! Didn't realize how lucky I was when I saw the massive bags of tent! No idea which one OP was talking about b/c he said it was a side tent by "Fritz Berger made in Germany" which is the brand and where it was made. Mine is the Tramp, though it says, "Campistar Tramp", kind of thought Campistar meant tent of sorts.

Wonder if I could replace the polls with fiberglass...So much smaller and lighter.
madspaniard wrote:
The BusDepot version of this tent has fiberglass poles, reducing size and weight.

http://www.busdepot.com/details/addaroom/

ThANKS! I'll put the polls back there, but was thinking of putting the tent part on the floor. If I can figure a way to secure it down? Some how suspect that the back will be full of stuff! LOL The car hatch back is always full, suspect the camper will be just as bad. We have two kids...

Yep, 40-50# is really heavy to me! LOL Wink Does it matter and how do I tell if they're steel vs aluminum polls? They're gold if that makes a difference...

I'm sure I'll be *way* more excited about this when I see if/how they fit in our loaded up Vanagon and when we enjoy it if it rains...I've heard multiple times that there isn't enough space, so the thought of this fitting is overwhelming!
Jedi wrote:
Storage-- Place the tent and pole bag on the rear bed against tge back of the rear seat. That is where we keep all of our tent types. Westfalia's brand name tent made by Herzog has aluminium poles but the cost was very expensive. The cheaper Herzog "Komet" is a great second choice but it has steel poles. These are not light fiberglass poles! To that note the poles that came with the set they are not "heavy" eather. We are talking a totall weight of 30-50lbs throughout the product range. I suggest working out if the gutter pole is consedered heavy by your stanards. learn how to set your tent up at home. place all poles and tent in a neat order in there correct bags. Remember these tents are designed to travel and go with you on your Vanagon! Your tent makes it so you can camp in the rain and wind. We also use ours in the desert to stay cool and out of the sun. Bugs--- Need not worry any more. Close it up at night and hangout till morning without bugs! I hope I pointed out the reasons for keeping and using a quality tent like yours.
Regards and enjoy

Personally I was thinking of something little and light like this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-14x14-Screenhouse/15111315 It'd probably last a year or two and then fall apart...I'm sure someone here has tried it and will tell me why I don't want that piece of junk so I'll enjoy the free one I have more! LOL

tam

Making it special:
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet the deciding factor is the trip. If you are going out for a long camping trip in the woods, two kids and all you will need for that type of trip, it's worth taking. Set it up foe much needed expanded "living space". Nice to leave a tent at the campsite if you want to drive the van away for any reason.

If you are on a road trip, with night stays in several places along the way, wouldn't be wort the trouble to take it and put it up.

It's been my experience that those "small & light" deals also take up space and are a real pain to put up and stake down.

The easiest tent ever is the Coleman instant tent. Yep, a little heavy and bulky. But SO easy. Does not attach to van, just a spare room/screen room.

We have one, and when plan to be on long family ca pouts we take it along.

We are not this fast though, but almost

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=BkPQqBJzYJI
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tent similar to this. If it is like mine, the front wall unzips on the edges - so the extra 2 poles you have would be to stake that front wall out as an extended awning.

I have not used mine much as we have camp for an entire week, at least in one space - but the time we did such it was great. I could keep fire wood in there nice and dry, and set up a chair by the door - that allowed you to don your shoes and leave them out in the tent instead of 4+ pairs in the van, or under the van.

I should just use it on weekend trips, after all, it my bike touring and back packing trips that I need to go light.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I think you're right, especially if it rains! That space will be extra special and wonderful! Think you're right about being somewhere for more than a few days vs a night or two, suddenly putting it away when done with it will become a big old pain! Liked the video of the Coleman one. Going to use my free one for now, but think I'd want something even smaller/lighter if I actually bought one. LOVE how easy that Coleman is! It reminds me of the Canadian Tire Broadstone ones.
debbiej wrote:
I bet the deciding factor is the trip. If you are going out for a long camping trip in the woods, two kids and all you will need for that type of trip, it's worth taking. Set it up foe much needed expanded "living space". Nice to leave a tent at the campsite if you want to drive the van away for any reason.

If you are on a road trip, with night stays in several places along the way, wouldn't be wort the trouble to take it and put it up.

It's been my experience that those "small & light" deals also take up space and are a real pain to put up and stake down.

The easiest tent ever is the Coleman instant tent. Yep, a little heavy and bulky. But SO easy. Does not attach to van, just a spare room/screen room.

We have one, and when plan to be on long family ca pouts we take it along.

We are not this fast though, but almost

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=BkPQqBJzYJI

Found a bit more information if anyone is wondering and comes across one of these things!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ7brH7YpdM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WRgn3EIlVk

Making it special:
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add this part.

Great to know, thank you! Sounds like what the picture in the link showed, I've printed it and will put it in w/ the non-English instructions and try it next time! Really does sound like despite the size/weight, it is going to come in *really* handy! Also will mean if we take the Vanagon anywhere, we can still leave a lot of our stuff in the campsite, closed up...
vanagonjr wrote:
I have a tent similar to this. If it is like mine, the front wall unzips on the edges - so the extra 2 poles you have would be to stake that front wall out as an extended awning.

I have not used mine much as we have camp for an entire week, at least in one space - but the time we did such it was great. I could keep fire wood in there nice and dry, and set up a chair by the door - that allowed you to don your shoes and leave them out in the tent instead of 4+ pairs in the van, or under the van.

I should just use it on weekend trips, after all, it my bike touring and back packing trips that I need to go light.

tam

Making it special:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: