Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan overheating, any troubleshooting advice?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
armygreenvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Eurovan overheating, any troubleshooting advice? Reply with quote

I'm trying to diagnose my Eurovan's problem of overheating. My '93 Eurovan sat unused for one month. I opened the hood and found the coolant level to be slightly below the low level line, I drove it fifty miles on the highway before realizing the van was severely overheated, so much that after stopping the van and letting it sit for an hour and topping off the reservoir the temp guage still went to the highest point. I noticed that the engine fan which normally cools the van after diving did not turn on.
I checked the fan's fuse and it is good. Is there a specific sensor or relay which could be identified and replaced for this fan? Or, could the problem be hidden in the cooling system?
If so, could somone suggest an easy method of troubleshooting a Eurovan cooling system.
I can think of a few possible problems such as a bad water pump, clogged coolant line, or a bad thermostat. Any other ideas?

Thanks to any advice.
dokarex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it actually overheating? Use a infrared thermometer on your coolant hoses and see what the temp is. This happend to mine and I spent two weeks trying to do everything suggested here on the Samba, Finally I went to a local mech who bled everything and it still didn't work ( the gauge shot to max and the led flashed) then he used the thermometer and turns out the temp was fine the temp sender was shot. Embarassed
Just an idea
D
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is for my sons "new" euro van, 1993 5 cylinder, yada, yada, yada 5 spd manual trans, what to do if it is ACTUALLY overheating due to fans not turning on,, what to check , the fans are not working !!!! Ya see I dont have this problem with my old '83 Air Cooled Vanagon Peace,,,Moosie Blue Bus

Additionally, I am enough of a mechanic to check all the obvious reasons why it is overheating and the "normal" things check out fine, the fans dont work!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the two 50 amp fuses between the driver's headlight and the firewall? This is a very common fault on the early EV's that keeps the fans from running.

As I recall, you just turn the key to the run position without starting the engine, select the A/C position for the heater, then see if both fans are running.

The fuses commonly get hairline cracks in them so they look okay but are not. In my case, both were cracked, one worked and one did not. They cost 80 cents each so buy a couple of spares. They are located in a little plastic box and the fuses are just flat metal strips about 3/16" x 1 1/2".
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much I will check them, Peace,,,Moosie Blue Bus
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
moosie982
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one know if there are ballast resistors involved in the fans wiring ? We be waiting on the haynes book for this unit, but it aint here yet. Peace,,,Moosie Blue Bus
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: