Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I know you have them...release them into the wild!!!
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: I know you have them...release them into the wild!!! Reply with quote

So, I'm looking for some front 5 lug drums for my '65 squareback. i want some 5 lug BRMS but my fronts are 4-lug. any adapters? i've seen 4-lug to 5-lug adapters but i'm pretty much retarded when i think any further than that. yes, i know how hard 5 lug drums are to find. i also know how much meat needs to be left on... if you have some, let me know. if not, comment anyway. give me some free advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the drums, and I have the backing plates, but I do not have the drum brake spindles.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do i need specific spindles for these drums? what will work? condition of your drums? 'nuff room for the lathe? price? my zip code is 92865
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adapters will push the wheels out and if you're lowered you'll have rubbing issues. The offset on the BRMs is not the best for T3 installs and the adapters would make it worse.

Black '65 Resto-Custom S Notch 2110 cc powered
original paint Pearl White '66 Westy SO-42
Allstate single-wheel trailer project
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i c...
lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sound rich just go ahead and get some wide 5 discs up front. or hell all the way around.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's actually not a bad idea...ya see, told you guys i'm retarded when i start thinking to much...or retarded when i don't think enough. good place to get those wide five discs?
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have any problems with wide 5 discs? sounds pretty smart to me, but then again...
lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheapest is probably latest rage. check out their ones that say NO ADDED clearance. ads can be seen in any hot vws magazine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot!
lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
thanks a lot!

are you gonna lower it? you should go ahead and invest in a kcw type 1 style beam and dropped spindles before you buy the wide 5 discs.

it doesn't say specifically for type 3 spindles but some deeper digging would probably find out which bearings to get to make them work.

i know right now i am using type 1 link pin dropped spindles and stock type 3 discs.
JSMskater
Samba Grease Gorilla

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't airkewld make a t3 disk kit?

I know not everyone likes them (the guys at airkewld) but they've got good stuff if you've got the money...
TOOB Member #3
I make D-jet FI connectors
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowindO wrote:
69SquareGuy wrote:
thanks a lot!

are you gonna lower it? you should go ahead and invest in a kcw type 1 style beam and dropped spindles before you buy the wide 5 discs.

it doesn't say specifically for type 3 spindles but some deeper digging would probably find out which bearings to get to make them work.

i know right now i am using type 1 link pin dropped spindles and stock type 3 discs.

I'm new to T3's and have a question to add here. If you go with the type 1 style beam, will you lose the luxury of the type 3 suspension? I'm just dying to slam my notch and if I can get away with slapping on type 1 beam and not lose driveability, I'll be all over it.

Quote:
I would call him a dick, but a dick has a head on it

Last edited by bljones on Today 4:20am; edited 1 time in total
localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdW wrote:
I'm new to T3's and have a question to add here. If you go with the type 1 style beam, will you lose the luxury of the type 3 suspension? I'm just dying to slam my notch and if I can get away with slapping on type 1 beam and not lose driveability, I'll be all over it.

Ed, KCW makes/sells a T1 beam that is supposed to be able to go into a T3. Honestly, I don't know what's involved but have read in past threads that A)some modification is needed B)no mods are needed. Confused

Something about cutting the frame horns to mount it. Confused If you do a search it's been covered and some guys have made their own so I'm sure someone will chime in that's actually made the swap. There is some debate as to why one would want to do it, the T3 beam is superior to the T1 etc...but to each his own.

localboy
Samba Longboarder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be the cheapest, easiest way to mount BRMs on a four lug car.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D6629 Wink

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man those 4 lug BRM replica's are fugly. Confused
taydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they look pretty good, although with so much space in between the spokes you'd see a lot of brake.
Cheaper than the 5-bolts too! Although narrower....
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdW wrote:
lowindO wrote:
69SquareGuy wrote:
thanks a lot!

Go for the dropped spindles from BerT3 instead. You'll thank yourself after every drive.

FU#3
lowindO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdW wrote:
lowindO wrote:
69SquareGuy wrote:
thanks a lot!

the difference is minimal. its like the difference between a stock type 3 and a slightly lowered type 3. You feel it if your looking to feel it. But you gotta go with the dropped spindles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: