Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Class 11 cage, short vertical pieces
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Class 11 cage, short vertical pieces Reply with quote

My question is regarding the two short vertical pieces at the back of the cage. The kit I bought is the one from Moore Parts (not chenowth). The pieces I'm referring to are flattened on the ends. They're in the picture posted below, but it doesn't accurately show what they attach to. What exactly is the bottom of these two parts supposed to be welded/bolted to? The rear transmission mount?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GhiaBateman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought they bolted/welded onto the end of the framehorns... kinda see if you look hard at pic. Confused

-Dave
mrbajadude
Samba Member

Location: Yerington, NV, home of the VORRA 300 mile off road race

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, I have the same kit. You cut holes in the package tray and weld them from the piece from the top of cage to the frame horns. Ol' John Cool
HamburgerBrad
Je suis Napoléon!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the mckenzies mount, i don't think there would be room to weld it to the frame horns. I was looking at it earlier and think I could probably bolt it to the extra holes on the rear trans mount.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wanted: two beat up, ugly, curb rashed 6" phone dial wheels
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there designed for soild mount ......weld a piece of angle on the bottom and grind that to where it looks pretty.. then Bolt to the mount... don't flatten them... of course ya know about drilling a hole.

at the top do your self a big favor and welld on some type of flange so you can bolt this together.. you'll be sorry if you weld...because if the car was a swing axle you would never get the trans in and out .. The three bolt exhaust flanges look real nice but cost about twice of what a two bolt cost..

what those are doing,, is supporting the frame horns...
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as everyone said they are designed to just bolt up to the solid mount, but me personally i would just make my own, those things just dident look like a good frame horn support for off road.
towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOl,, on my own stuff I cut the horns out and replace those with 1 1/2 .095 ,,, but I do weld in the supports to that,but they do need about a 10 degree bend near the horn end,,,and you have to watch for exhaust clearance, anything with a swingaxle gets flanges
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towd wrote:
LOl,, on my own stuff I cut the horns out and replace those with 1 1/2 .095 ,,, but I do weld in the supports to that,but they do need about a 10 degree bend near the horn end,,,and you have to watch for exhaust clearance, anything with a swingaxle gets flanges

i made that mistake on my dads rail, and it was quite the maneuver to get the trans into place
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: