Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Raising Oil Pressure
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Raising Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Last night I finally got around to re-indexing and putting my 235's onto the bug. The tires look great but I have something bothering me. This engine has never had good oil pressure.

I have two theories about raising the pressure. One is to move to a slightly lower viscosity. Right now I run 20w-50 and many have said that it looses a lot of oil pressure because the oil relief dumps it out. I was thinking about maybe a 10w40? Any thoughts?

Also I have a quite old oil pump. Would sanding down the oil pump cover increase my pressure? I would think it would but I don't know. And if so, could it be done with engine on the car.
birddog1148
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can change the oil pump on the car, just make or use a puller
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I Got Your Jeep Thing! Now It Hurts When I pee.

Cigarettes are like squirrels, they are both harmless until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xirxious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can 'full flow' the block by drilling out a paggage, but its a little tricky with the motor assembled. You don't want shavings in there. There are a couple things that can cause pressure drop, a worn pump or worn bearings. The easy way is a new pump. Adding lower viscosity oil could lower your pressure because it flows through easier. This would help because its getting oil in quicker. Higher viscosity oil could raise the pressure, but it would be due to more work on the pump, causing more wear. It could even be your gauge, if its a mechanical gauge, it takes a long hose to get up there. Sending units can go bad, too. There is a way to check them, but can't recall off hand. If it were me, I'd check te gauge, then check the system. You can take out and drain/clean the cooler. Use and oil flush lube. Then look at changing the pump. If you're confident in your skills, might as well drill the passages anyway.
2gr8dgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have an accurate gauge to read pressure? you want 10 psi per 1,000 rpm with your engine at operating temp. if you can get that, you are fine. the most straightforward explanation I have ever read on oil, & pressure can be found here http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?s=178c489d1c0...oil_basics
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading this great article and it has done wonders for me. What I believe I am going to do is run a lower cold weight and drop the hot weight down to 40. Plus I want to run synthetic. As of right now I run 20w-50 Napa.

My problem is that on long trips(high or low speed) the idiot light begins to flicker at idle. I am beginning to guess that I am running an overly high weight and my bypass is opening too much and not letting enough oil through the cooler.
caromin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The higher viscosity oil is going to produce higher op readings although it's not necessisarily better. I'd be really surprised if you engine was opening the relief valve at idle especially if it has some miles on it unless the relief springs are totally shot and usally the motor isn't far behind in that situation. The high pressure oil relief kits are cheap but beware, many are junk and their pistons can get stuck in the bore. I'd just use the springs out of the kit and retain the OE relief pistons. I'm putting my money on a worn pump or excessive side play in the con rods.
Sandrail
Explorer rail build!

'Rollin Dirt Video!
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a problem that first night with the big tires and I have seen much cooler temps after that. I don't know what it was but I didn't change anything and now it's running cooler than it used to. Though the next engine is getting a nice new high flow oil pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: