Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pics of you Vanagon key. Close up of the blade part.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Pics of you Vanagon key. Close up of the blade part. Reply with quote

The new one and my old one are different looking but the locksmith says it will work. I ordered it from VW and its a N style key as my old key is a V30 style. The N has 3 grooves on each side and the V30 has 2. I looked at another Vanagon today and it looks like mine. Just want to see other keys.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, right, like that's going to happen, posting a photo of my Westfalia key on the internet! I don't think so 'Exclamation'

But I can tell you that my N key has three grooves on each side, two wide ones and a thin one offset in between.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what it calls for but mine is different. The locksmith said if it fits in the tubler it will work. Not sure why you are so possevive of a key. You can't duplicate it from a pic. Can you?
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meyervw wrote:
Not sure why you are so possevive of a key. You can't duplicate it from a pic. Can you?

In 10 minutes with a Dremel if the picture is clear.
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see. That would suck. Sorry I asked.
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be sorry, I am glad you asked. Better to know than to find out the hard way. Besides, if the van was stolen after posting a picture of the key on the internet, do you think your insurance would still cover it?
I had a creative locksmith make a VW key for me that had only the two grooves as you described. He had to grind down a but on each side to accommodate where the extra groove would have been. The key did work, but it wasn't pretty. I keep it as an emergency backup key, but it is so ugly that I am embarrassed to have anyone see it. I love my Westy too much to use such a key.
On a side note, the best material to fabricate your own lockpick tools are the broken bristles from the street cleaner brushes, which can be found on the side of the roads after the street cleaner comes by.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: