Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

best okrasa engine combo..help help needed
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: best okrasa engine combo..help help needed Reply with quote

i hope that someone can help me a bit futher and give me there 2 cent.

I got these oettinger manifolds
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=251290 the use 32 pbic's. the same as the older okrasa setups

I want to build an oldspeed engine for them,
what wil be a good setup for a lot of power / torque...Question

shout i make a big stroker engine 2276 82x94 or is this to big for the carbs (GWD did the same engine with a stock carb)
or shout is build a stroker small displacement 85.5x 76...with a high CR and big valves ...but this is not enough power/torque..

please help me out with some idea's

thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
layinLow Kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These carbs are to small to run a motor size of 2276. The original Okrasa setup came with the 2 heads which either ran a 7.5:1 or 8:1 comprassion ratio. The 2 carbs 32mm PBIC(36hp kit) or PCIB(40hp kit) have either a 26mm or 28mm venturi. There are several math formulas you can do to figure out airflow of the motor...if you need it I can post it up later. But bottom line is the 28mm venturi would be good for a motor around 1600cc displacement. I am currently building my 3rd okrasa setup right now for a 40hp motor and here are my specs below;

88mm biral p/c
69.5mm crank
scat c35 cam shaft
dual 32mm PCIB's bored to 35mm w/ 30mm venturi
scat lube a lobe lifters w/ SLR treatment
straight cut gears
heads ported and polished with 37.5mm intake valve and 32mm exhaust valve.

With my past experience, this setup should make an easy 80hp with about 60-70 torque.
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for the info....
there are not a lot of guys knowing this sort of stufff and staying with a standard out of the box way of building a engine.

I diden't thought of the fact of boring the carburators out to a 35mm....with bigger venturis...mine currently have 28mm verturis.
Webbers uses 28mm until 1800cc (depending of engine setup ofcourse)

Wenn i look a the VW standard engines..vw made a 2 liter type 4 engine with and used small carburators....the restriction always wil be the carburation but don't you not bennefit from a bigger volume??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
layinLow Kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By bigger volume do you mean displacment of the engine. If so yes you do but at a certain point you are basically starving the engine for air, thus creating more flats spots throughout your power curve. The formula for figuring out venturi size of a given motor i will list below along with a couple other formulas you should be considering before just throwing some parts together.

Engine CFM:
(Engine size (CID) x Max RPM/3,456)= CFM
Will Tell you how much air you engine will flow under perfect conditions. So now that you know what it will flow the next trick is picking the right carbs for this task. And a general rule of thumb is CFM/1.5 will give you your max horsepower, again in a perfect world.

Formula for venturi sizing:
20*SQRT(Cylinder Volume in cc's/1000*RPM of peak HP/1000)
Also note that your venturi size should be around 3-5mm smaller than intake valve for street/mild engines, and almost the same size on all out drag motors.

So since I gave you my okrasa motor specs Ill show you how I came to my setup for the okrasa.

I decided to go with the original okrasa crank in the okrasa kit which is 69mm. Since I wanted to stay with the whole vintage performance look the biggest period correct would have been 88mm Birals. The reason I chose birals is that they have cast aluminum fins on a cast iron liner, which increases the cooling effeciency of the cylinders some 20-40% from the normal cast iron setup. The benefit from this is to keep the head temps as low as possible, as Okrasa heads will crack if head temps get to hot. From here is where the math comes in to figure the rest of your setup.

Doing the math my engine will flow 192.665 CFM under perfect conditions so know the goal is to try and provide this much air to the motor to take advantage of your displacement. So with my CFM/1.5, if this motor is built to perfect conditions the max HP this setup could create is 128.44HP. Which will never happen but its always fun to compare this number to the actual dyno run at the end. So next we need to figure out what carbs to run. Since I wanted to stay with the original setup of the okrasa setup, the difficulty is to make 32mm carbs as effcient as possible. So while measuring up the walls of the throat I found that I could open it up to a max of 36mm while still having a 1/16th wall. But a 30mm venturi only requires a 35mm throat which works perfect. If you run the math I should actually be using a 32-34mm venturi but as you can see not possible without changing carbs. But I have found running a slightly smaller than needed venturi increases driveability, i.e. low end torque. So now that we know the venturi size which is 30mm we should have a 4-5mm larger intake valve size in your heads to take full advantage of the setup. Now with all this said dont get to obssesed with CFM of the motor cause I can make a large hole in anything but it wont have much airspeed. There is a direct relation of CFM to airspeed with out airspeed you lack the turbulance required for the fuel to atomize with the air. Hopefully this helps you out in picking what to put together with your old speed setup.
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sended you an PM....

what make more sense to get to approx 1679cc (69x88) bigger cilinders or a bigger crank.....
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

I'm slowly purchasing the parts required to build a 36hp based Okrasa engine (74mm crank, 77mm pistons). Do you have any experience building these? If so, I'm concerned that the the valve train will be a real weak spot. Do you have any suggestions? Also, what are the big mistakes people make when building these engines?

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
layinLow Kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traditionaly the kit came with a 69.5mm crank...but everyone has there own twist on engine building when it comes to combinations. But as far as the 74mm crank your probably going to have to do some clearancing in the case to make it work. Also as far as the valve train being weaker it depends on how you have the heads rebuilt. Definitly do not go with any dual springs as you will not need it, the single HD. I have also heard of some making there own ratio rockers for the 36hp setup. But with the normal 69.5mm crank, 77mm pistons, okrasa heads, dual solex 32mm pbic carbs, it was good enough. Best place to point you would be this topic Click Here as there is a lot of info about many 36hp setups.
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorkingClass wrote:
i sended you an PM....

what make more sense to get to approx 1679cc (69x88) bigger cilinders or a bigger crank.....

Porsche built their 1600's and 1600 Supers using a longer crank than VW. I'm not exactly sure of the bore and stroke, but they went with a 70-something stroke and smaller bores than the VW 1600cc.
Bigger bores will help the engine breath better, but that may not matter if the carbs are the restriction anyway.
Try to find the specs of a Porsche Super 90 engine and copy-cat that combo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We think the same scott... Very Happy

porsche used for the 1600c en the sc 74mm crank and a 82.5 bore...a longer crank will increase airflow at lower revs.

that why i think its better to have bigger crank and smaller bore. Different than VW used...

The difference from "gimmesomeshelter" I use 1600cc stuff so i can go everywhere he has to find his stuff for a 36hp....and is restrickted by this.

The only thing i want to use is mij okrasa manifolds and the 32 carbs..it is a street engine but is has to have "maximum" power output.
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then go 74x85.5 for 1699cc or 76x85.5 for 1745cc. Should add some extra bottom end grunt and cool like a stocker. Throw on a 36HP shroud and make it LOOK like a vintage motor, at least. Use one of the Flat Four Fram style oil filters and an 010 dist., stock pulley, etc. Maybe paint the shroud like the Super 90 engine?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a original fram and a 010 and 019
(depending on the cam). so i'm almost ready for it.

layinlow kustoms is gonne help me with my carburators, he know this stuff more than i do. Hopefully it will work out
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

layinLow Kustoms wrote:
But with the normal 69.5mm crank, 77mm pistons, okrasa heads, dual solex 32mm pbic carbs, it was good enough.

this is what I am seriously think of doing... I have the heads, manifolds, carbs, engine case, and an 019. I have sourced a 69mm crank, and will look for 77x69 p/c's...

WANTED: Original 58 Ghia Dash Knob
MJMarkham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, started searching...is there a source for 77x69mm P/Cs

WANTED: Original 58 Ghia Dash Knob
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=251290

I am not absolutely sure, but the carbs in the above link looks suspiciusly much like a set of 40 mm PDSITīs.
If thatīs the case, they will easily handle up to 2000 cc. They ome factory equipped with up to 30 mm. venturies, but accepts 32 mm. without serius jetting problems.
With the right combination of parts they will support 110 - 120 hp.
T
WorkingClass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Alstup, The carburators i have are 32 pbic's mm like the original setup shout be. The carburators in the pictures are (i think) 32/34 type 3 carburators. these are not original with the set but will problebly work good with the manifolds.

After some talk with brandon from layinlow customs we decided to go with overborering the original 32mm carburators to a 35mm trouth now it wil except a bigger 30mm verturi...this will work better with the 35mm intake. than i decided to go with a bigger, porsche like 74 mm crank with 85,5 bore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: