Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

interested in a thing
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: interested in a thing Reply with quote

I am about finished rebuilding a '69 bug for my son and am thinking about doing a thing just for myself. Question is...how available are these in the US? How available are parts compared to bugs? in general, would you say they cost about the same to rebuild as bugs, or more?
Any help, feedback appreciated.
Big Al
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:48 am    Post subject: interested in a thing Reply with quote

There are 42 Things for sale on this site right now. Which is a decent amount considering the fact that they were only sold in the U.S. for 2 years.
Most all Thing specific parts are available but are quite a bit more expensive than Bug parts. Therefore rebuilding a Thing will cost more than rebuilding a bug, but the extra expense is well worth all of the extra attributes the Thing offers!
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: interested in a thing Reply with quote

They are harder to find parts for,but used parts are available,you just have to be alittle more patient and wait for them to pop up. The parts that start with a 181 # are thing only and thats where you spend the extra $ when restoring. The rest of the parts are either type 1 ,2 or 3.
There are a few available right now on this site and if you wait,every once in a while a reasonably good deal comes around. While they cost more to restore and purchase there were alot less of them made than Bugs,so they should be easier to get your money back out of later,and they get alot of looks driving down the road.
Shoptalkforums.com has a few people that sell used thing parts and alot more people posting about Things.
If you buy one try to find one with as many usable parts as possible as the replacements add up quickly. Good luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: interested in a thing Reply with quote

Stay away from cars with too much rust as good sheetmetal is hard to find. New sheetmetal is available from the Thing Shop at big Bucks. The floorpans are the same as Karmann GHia. Running gear is mostly the same as Bugs of the same year. 73 has Espar gas heater only .74 had fresh air heat, same as bug, with Espar gas gas heater as an option. The soft top in good shape will keep you dry but still leaks air like crazy
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: interested in a thing Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all your words of wisdom and advice.
Big Al
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Classifieds Feedback
ChrisM181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: interested in a thing Reply with quote

So what is it going to be? A Thing or a Bug?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: interested in a thing Reply with quote

Chris,
Im not sure yet. Doing the bug took a long time due mostly to the learning curve as I had never done one before, or any complete rebuild on a car for that matter. I had done the occasional part replacement, etc. but never anything of that magnitude. It has been quite an experience. I feel like I almost want to do another bug to see how much easier and quicker it goes, now.
(One thing I know for sure, this forum has been an INVALUABLE help all along the way. Most of the people on here are fantastic and very knowledgable. Its great that they take the time and effort to help others along.)
On the other hand, I like the Thing and am interested enough to find out more about it.

Big Al
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: