Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

destroyed trans mount
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: destroyed trans mount Reply with quote

I just put some pretty rims on the bug and I feel they may have lead to some problems. It turns out that the driver side rim is slightly off, in a wobbly way. The thing is, it only wobbles the entire car between 42 and 45 no matter what gear I'm in. So I've just dealt with it and only commuted at 55mph and 25mph, neither of which causes the wobble to be annoying. I finally drove for a while at 45mph and it really pissed me off. Not fun being bounced around all the time. Yesterday I switched back to my small tires(they look quite funny now) and I noticed there was still some wobble and maybe some noises from the rear. Upon closer inspection it seems as though my front tranny mount has kicked the bucket. I don't know how bad it is as I just got under the car, shook the tranny and got PO'ed. So, how hard is it to replace a trans mount? Will I have to yank the engine+trans? Oh boy this should be fun.
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You take out the engine. The the transaxle can be removed or taken out. Now is the time to upgrade to ureathane or solid mounts. Adding a lower and upper mid mount is also a good idea.

Last edited by perrib on Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year? Later IRS one's are easier to replace without yanking everything, swing axles are much tougher. With IRS you can usually support the motor/trans with a jack, pull the bolts from the frame horns and the front mount, and you can usually move the motor/trans back enough to get the mount off. With SA you hafta unbolt the axle flanges from the spring plates as well.
Skidmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the nose cone broken? Or just the mount?

WARNING! This person has been consumed by the Dark Side.

www.socalbajas.com

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/bajaskidmark/SCBaja.jpg
Bubba 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you do this, inspect the bolts on the front trans mount very carefully. There is one that is nearly impossible to get a wrench or socket on. You can do it, but it takes some creativity. I think we wedged something in between the bolt head and the body of the trans. and tightened the nut.
Just trying to save you some time and agrivation. I recomend solid mounts as well.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT PUT ONLY ONE SOLID MOUNT ON. If you only use the solid mount on the front, buy a new nose cone with the new solid mounts. It will break within a few miles. You must use either both solid mounts or no solid mounts.

If you do a lot of off roading, solid mounts may be a good choice. If you stay on the street mostly, the original rubber works well.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: