Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body metal question (w/pics)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Body metal question (w/pics) Reply with quote

Okay, I searched for this, but I'm wearing my flame suit just in case. Where can I find replacement metal for the rear bumper bracket area (where the bumper actually mounts) and the area behind the drivers wheel? (Pictured) I can't seem to locate them anywhere, and I don't have a parts bus to cut up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That part is bad, as its now rusted into the passenger area.

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIP has those pieces:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB%2D402%2D101

If the area (frame) where the bumper mounts is rusted, just weld in metal of the same thickness.

For areas you can't find after market replacement pieces, just use 18-20 gauge sheet metal, it's what I did on my friends bus:

http://intervest.ca/vdub/waynes_bus.html

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle

Last edited by Joey on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcnotes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If other parts of that bus are as badly corroded as the area you show in the pics, you might consider finding a bus with less rust and making the one in your pics the parts bus. Sometimes things are too far gone.

Rust repair in that area is very difficult. If you don't have the skills and the tools to make that kind of repair, it will be very difficult and expensive to do it right. I suspect the only parts you'll find would be from a donor bus.

If the rest of the bus is good, safe and drives well, it might be better to drive it until it drops instead of throwing good money after bad.
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a '72 parts bus with excellent rear corners, and the rear bumper bolts came out without any problems. Pretty dry bus really, how much rear frame area do you need?

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deuxdiesel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a bunch of metal work done to my Bus using Klokkerholm (sp?) metal from OEVeeDub. The parts looked good coming out of the box, but they are just nowhere near the fit that original sheet metal offers. If you can find donor metal, even if it needs a little help, it will fit much better and not be so cobbled together.
mango.split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Body metal question (w/pics) Reply with quote

Bay Window Steve wrote:
Okay, I searched for this, but I'm wearing my flame suit just in case. Where can I find replacement metal for the rear bumper bracket area (where the bumper actually mounts) and the area behind the drivers wheel? (Pictured) I can't seem to locate them anywhere, and I don't have a parts bus to cut up.

That part is bad, as its now rusted into the passenger area.

You can cut and splice metal in there that you buy at the hardware store... Why do you need metal from a bus?? It is not like you are replacing a nose, corner, or any other painted body panels.
Bay Window Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll try to answer all the questions. No, the rest of the bus is not cruddy like that. That is the only rusty spot I can find with any rust through. That link for CIP1 is only up to 72. This bus is newer than that. I only need a small area where the bumper mounts. I thought it would be hard to repair, so I guess I need to patch it.

Dammit.

Member: WTKHABG

Original Air Cooler Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandfatherjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Gauge of frame - '72 Reply with quote

56ovalbug wrote:

If the area (frame) where the bumper mounts is rusted, just weld in metal of the same thickness.

I need to fabricate new rear sections of frame in the area where the bumper brackets mount i.e. the area with the nuts inside the frame.

Anyone know what gauge metal the frame was? I would like to start making the new sections before hacking out the old, so it's not easy to get a caliper in to check.

Thanks,
Jim
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my best guess would be 14, but mine isrotted its hard to tell. more than 10, less than 16

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
grandfatherjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks; I have some 14 around (and some 10) so I'm in the ballpark.
Jim
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: