Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is this a good deal?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
simone88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Is this a good deal? Reply with quote

Just looked at an 88' Westfalia for sale. Many smaller and not so small repairs have been done to it in the past year including this (shortened list):

139,000 miles
New alternator
New battery/ground strap
New MAF
Used ECU and Idle Stabilizer unit put in
All fuel lines in engine compartment replaced
New spark plugs, wires and rotor
New Starter
New rear brake shoes, 8mos on new pads in front
New stabilizer valve
One CV joint in rear replaced one mth ago
Other is in good shape
2mos on new Wrangler AT tires
Interior is in great condition, including pop top (new seals and paint)
All camping equip. works.
Some rust on outside (east coast car)
Dent in sliding door that could easily be banged out

The kicker? Needs a new tranny. I know... I know..I haven't had to take that on with my other Westy. So, honestly, how big a deal is it to switch out a new transmission? I figure at least $1200 for rebuilt tranny, and can figure labor in if it is a job you can't do with a buddy over a weekend.

Any advice/ other things to look for?
Thanks
simone88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: forgot to mention Reply with quote

Hi. Forgot to mention why they say it needs a new tranny.
Major leak. The ATF actually pushes out the dipstick and around the seal.
Shifted perfectly fine up until the sudden leak.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not state the asking price. The only thing, in my opinion, that makes the transmission swap difficult is it's just heavy. Other than that access is easy and it is only held to the motor by 5 bolts, and at the rear(err... front) by one.

-Rob
mike.nikki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Don't Forget you have to remove the Driveshafts (6 Bolts per Side), which can be a little annoying sometimes.

1200$ for the repair, well it can easy much more or less. depending what is wrong in the thing.

Mike
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ATF is coming out the dip stick then the level has to be going up for some reason. Likely a leak in the transmission cooler.
vw8716v
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have to agree. sounds just like the one i bought it would only go in to forward for short time and then caput. changed out transmission for a used one i had out of my parts van and bingo a running van again. its a eaisy job for two people better with three but the way i did it(one person) really is a pain in the ass. but i put a board in the engine capartment up top and attatched a ratchet strap to it and the transmission to pull the front up and one under the back (or front) of the tranny to pull it up just to get the tranny on the jack then its good from there. just no leverage to lift it byyourself laying on your back and moving the jack at the same time. plus along with the extra hand to help some beer always helps to. that part of the reason i made it through by myself. Applause
simone88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: leak in cooler Reply with quote

It sounded like the ATF was building up somewhere then pressure was sending it up and out the dipstick and seal (?). Fluid I saw was dark red in color, more red when thinned out. Was all over CV joint and exhaust. Does this mean the oil cooler is caput? Does this mean the Tranny is caput? I don't have the most reliable mechanic around here, would have to go further out, but don't want to run the vehicle. I think I may be able to rustle up some people to help switch it out.

Asking price was $6,000
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: leak in cooler Reply with quote

simone88 wrote:

Asking price was $6,000

I dont think its a good deal.

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: leak in cooler Reply with quote

luckys420 wrote:
simone88 wrote:

Asking price was $6,000

I dont think its a good deal.

Agreed, way above reasonable for a east coast van that doesn't run. Free would have been a good price.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: