Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fabricating `62-`63 Westfalia Formica door panels
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Fabricating `62-`63 Westfalia Formica door panels Reply with quote

This one is for the hardcore westy nuts out there. I am missing the formica door panels from my `62 so-33. These were found on
so-33,34,35s in the `62-`63 era.

These are a fake birch wood grain formica panel cut for the cargo and some front doors. Here is a picture of a set of originals.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have found a nice match formica but curious if anyone has made door panels out of this and what methods they have used if so? I have seen it installed on cabinets but this is a far different thing.

The Formica is about 1mm thick and the og formica ply panels are 2mm. I was pondering installing the laminate onto 1/8 birch panels but they would be too thick. Same with using the laminate alone...too thin.
I thought about doubling the formica sheets and glue them together.
If I did this it would be dead on for the og thickness.

The thing is I have never worked with formica laminates. How easy does this stuff cut, saw etc? Any experts out there care to comment on my doubling the laminate up idea?

T
Samba Member #95

Last edited by bastardbus on Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it may not be cost effective, but if the formica is 1/16 and you need 1/8, could you just glue two layers together?

formica can be tough to cut and machine because it is often brittle. use sharp tools.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sled wrote:
I know it may not be cost effective, but if the formica is 1/16 and you need 1/8, could you just glue two layers together?

formica can be tough to cut and machine because it is often brittle. use sharp tools.

That is exactly what I was wondering? Any formica experts out there care to chime in?
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formica also comes in thinner dimensions, ask your supplier it may even come thicker.

If your wanting to glue 2 pieces together glue them back to back with a quality contact adhesive, solvent based. The other stuff is cleaner and easier to work with but won't last.

To cut to size I would rough cut the pieces with a pair of sheet metal scissors, then glue them together and then use a template and a router bit to trim to the exact size.

If you have a table saw you can cut it on that you just need to create or buy a zero clearance insert, and use a high tooth count blade. Also your gonna want to make sure the mica can't slip under the fence.

Hope this helps.

Check out my basses here www.ellabasses.com

jerry wrote:

Nothing says "I love busses" more than picking up a mouse turd filled with horse hair seat padding
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wood template and router is the best way to cut the stuff! you have to cut the wood template a little maller than the finsihed piece to allow for the shoulder of the router bit. It will say on the package, usually 1/8". You get a router bit with a bearing on it for tracing/template work.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was also used on the board under the seats on some flipseats.
This is a '64 SO-35:

here are some cargo door panels pics

Back of a laminated panel. It looks like there are only two thin plies of wood, while the 1/8" plywood has three plies.

Yes you have to be careful and use sharp tools or you can chip it.
travelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bastardbus, where did you find the formica with the similar pattern. I was planning on using formica in my bus, too, but never imagined finding anything other than an off white. Thanks,

K
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jeff Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 1/32" Mica that you could glue to 1/8" ply or hardipanel.

Also here is the router bit I was talking about. No need to over or undersize your template.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Flush-Trim-Bit-1-4-Shank-3-8-Dia-/C1079

jerry wrote:

Nothing says "I love busses" more than picking up a mouse turd filled with horse hair seat padding
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the match at the local plywood shop, it is made by Wilsonart and I have the number but not on hand right this second, I will post that later. In fact there was 3 companies that made almost dead on matches to the og. They were all basically Birch copies, which makes sense as the westys of that era had birch panels on the walls and ceiling.

I was checking last night and the og panel is SUPER thin. The og is way thinner then 1/8 inch so I think installing the formica on a 1/8 inch panel would make it way too thick. Glueing two pieces of formica samples I have together gives the exact thickness about 2mm. Now if they have this in bigger thickness it might be the darn correct size even.

Thanks for the added pics Greg, my so-34 is tucked in storage and I can barely open the doors too take pics.

Sounds like cutting this stuff cleanly is gonna be VERY tricky when it is so thin that is what I was worried about.
Samba Member #95
Jeff Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This stuff isn't that tricky to cut. Your local cabinet shop should be able to show you the tools and what not.

Remember to always practice on scrap first to get the feel.

jerry wrote:

P-Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to check out the Wilsonart finishes. The 60-matte is too textured and the 1-gloss is too shinny, at least with the maple laminate of the later Westys.

http://samples.wilsonart.com/t-laminate_finishes.aspx
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get birch plywood in 1.5mm (1/16"), try an aircraft supplier like Aircraft spruce and specialty. Not cheap but primo stuff and waterproof too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mark Henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two types of P-lam (plastic laminate its proper name, Formica is a trade/brand name) post form (PF) and and general purpose (GP). GP is the thicker of the 2, PF is the stuff you see on PF countertops with the rolled edge.

If you glue 2 pieces together, you better have any curve (form) right, as contact cement is very unforgiving, use a table saw to rough cut the P-lam and you would need a template and a trim router to do a nice job finishing it up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would do is make a template of heavy paper, then transfer those measurements to a piece of MDF which you will need for the router's guide bit to ride on.

I have the correct bit that I would be happy to loan you for the cost of postage. No sense in buying it unless you're going to use it again.

Shears will work to cut it but it could crack. I think you'd be happier scribing it, as you will be able to get very close to the finished size. You do not want to be oversize by more than a third the diameter of the router bit. A scribe is cheap, too. They sell them at home depot.
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:

Thanks for the added pics Greg, my so-34 is tucked in storage and I can barely open the doors too take pics.

Clara posted those while I was asleep in the bus. Flash! WTF!

Have you tried seeing if Getalit in Germany still has the stuff available?

Tlaama could use that stuff for his So-35, so if you find a nice match be certain to share the source with him.
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
You can get birch plywood in 1.5mm (1/16"), try an aircraft supplier like Aircraft spruce and specialty. Not cheap but primo stuff and waterproof too.

Wow! That would be EXACTLY what is needed to make these correctly!
Thanks a bundle I will do some searching. Is there anyplace online that sells this stuff?

Also thanks for all the helpful info folks, the information has far surpassed what I thought I would get. This is REALLY what the samba forums and bus community should be all about! Wink

I am going to get the number for the Wilsonart match I found, but intersting what someone said about the gloss or textured finish. The piece I have is Matte finish and that does not look right. I figured the gloss would be dead on but guess I need to check that too.
I will update info I find!

Thanks!
Todd
Samba Member #95
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wrong, you can get it as thin as 1/64" now, wow that's thin!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/wppages/finnishbirch.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Jeff Power
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Saved that link in my favorites! Very Happy

jerry wrote:

tlaama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, good to see the so-33 coming along. I did a half hearted search for that formica match a while back and and found the pattern well enough but not the color so well. It seemed a good match would be out there somewhere.

I hope you found something nice as I will piggy back on your knowledge.

The first time I saw that stuff on an old junk so-33 cargo door I was convinced it was repro junk and about threw it away. Later I learned it was the real deal .

It is probably bread and butter to a cabinet man to cut. Tom
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a pic of the laminate on the front doors:

pic by slowlow
by the gas guage and the headlight bucket I'd say this is a '62 or early '63.

I believe the wood grained laminate was used about 62 ish.

A number of original looking 61s have the real wood panels on the front doors.
A number of 64s have the beige vinyl over hardboard.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: