Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finding 80mm cylinders for 36hp project
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Finding 80mm cylinders for 36hp project Reply with quote

Hello-

The more I think about it, it would be nice to go up from 77mm to 80mm cylinders. I've been looking around and my only options seem to be custom (e.g. nickies from LN), or to modify 80mm Porsche cylinders. BTW, I plan on stuffing 74mm Porsche crank/rods into a 36hp case, and buying custom pistons so I can keep the engine width stock. I've noticed that AA Performance (yes, I know, off-shore rubbish) sells 80mm pistons/cylinders for 356’s, but they're made for later 3 piece cases (wider stud pattern) and are longer than my 36hp cylinders. How hard would it be to 1) shorten the cylinders, 2) move the stud locations so they'll fit a 36hp case? Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-356-912-New...0276684080

BTW, if anyone has any ideas where I can find custom cylinders for a reasonable price, I'm sure we would all like to know.

Thanks,

Paul

Richard Feynman
Bengt H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I changed my worn out 356 cylinders, after this they where bored to 83 mm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding 80mm cylinders for 36hp project Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
Hello-

The more I think about it, it would be nice to go up from 77mm to 80mm cylinders. I've been looking around and my only options seem to be custom (e.g. nickies from LN), or to modify 80mm Porsche cylinders. BTW, I plan on stuffing 74mm Porsche crank/rods into a 36hp case, and buying custom pistons so I can keep the engine width stock. I've noticed that AA Performance (yes, I know, off-shore rubbish) sells 80mm pistons/cylinders for 356’s, but they're made for later 3 piece cases (wider stud pattern) and are longer than my 36hp cylinders. How hard would it be to 1) shorten the cylinders, 2) move the stud locations so they'll fit a 36hp case? Here's a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-356-912-New...0276684080

BTW, if anyone has any ideas where I can find custom cylinders for a reasonable price, I'm sure we would all like to know.

Thanks,

Paul

There's a guy on this site in the classifieds selling a set of over sized P&Cs. The cylinders have been "reconditioned" whatever that means. I think he wants $300 for them.
--Dan
coolairX2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Well... Reply with quote

I purchased 82.5 Porsche 912 P&C's from Joe Ruiz for my 36hp Okrassa. He turned down the fins a little and I machined the case to fit other than that they are a drop in. The price was around $900 which is not necessarily a bargain.

-Craig
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding 80mm cylinders for 36hp project Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:

Thanks,

Paul

Here is the set I am planing on using. Shasta 80mm JE custom pistons and Durabar Extruded Cast Iron machined cylinders:

oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Finding 80mm cylinders for 36hp project Reply with quote

Shorrock wrote:
gimmesomeshelter wrote:

Thanks,

Paul

Here is the set I am planing on using. Shasta 80mm JE custom pistons and Durabar Extruded Cast Iron machined cylinders:

356 pre a pistons??? valve position to piston?!
pricerange?

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shorrock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Finding 80mm cylinders for 36hp project Reply with quote

oval56 wrote:

356 pre a pistons??? valve position to piston?!
pricerange?

Yes they are Pre-A. I am planing on using a NOS 36hp case modified to take an NOS 912 74mm CWC, 912 Rods, 80mm Shasta P/C and Pre-A heads. According to Duane his P/C are set up for 8.5 compression with everything else stock. If you want to order you must contact him by phone listed on the bottom of his web site. He can custom make the pistons if you want something else (no valve pocket etc.). Read up on the Durabar cylinders they are regarded as the best.

Here is a couple of links to the Shasta info:

http://shastadesign.net/pistonandcylinders.php

http://www.maxted-pageandprill.com/Products/shastadesign.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: