Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dual batteries
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: dual batteries Reply with quote

I don't know how the vintage camper buses are configured, but has anybody added a second battery solely for powering "stuff" and kept the original battery for starting the bus? I'm sure there are commercial options out there for new type campers, but what modifications are necessary? Is it necessary to install an alternator rather than using a generator? anybody got a simple diagram? any help is appreciated. thanks.

Raul
65' kombi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: dual batteries Reply with quote

Yes its easy to do--You can mount the 2nd battery in engine compartment--on drivers side --then get a Battery Isolator at a RV supply house, and it will have wiring instructions on the box--will work with Gen or Alt.---Billof the
bc59bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: dual batteries Reply with quote

Raul; Is your bus still 6 volts? are you trying to add a 12 volt? Ive been told that a posable back feed thru the neg battery cable during chargeing could damage your 6 volt system. I always remove the cables from the 6 volt battery when chargeing up the 12 volt. my 12 volt only powers stuff and is not tied into the 6 volt system. but you do need to share the body grounding. not sure if a battery isolater will work if you have mix voltage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Empicollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: dual batteries Reply with quote

bc is right if you still have the 6 volt system you can't use the isolator--Bill
raru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:05 am    Post subject: dual batteries Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I plan on converting over to 12V when then time comes to do the second battery setup. I just wanted to know ahead of time if it would entail any modifications. Thanks again.

Raul
'65 kombi
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: