Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Squareback - A Rejuvenation
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: 1965 Squareback - A Rejuvenation Reply with quote

Well, after a few weeks of talking about her, I thought I'd give you guys a look at Sally, my semi-new square. Had to drive her awhile and get to know her before naming her, but I think Sally fits real nice. She's a '65 that I found on TheSamba. I went all the way up to Santa Barbara to pick her up and drove her home to Orange County. She's mostly OG. I've done a few things like replace all the seat belts and rear cargo mat. I also replaced the side trim and antenna. Oh and I can't forget about the new flat tail lenses and seals around all the lights/reflectors(all the new stuff came from ISP West!). I rattle-can'd the wheels flat black and it looks a lot better then crappy silver rattle can paint that was on there. She has a few dings but nothing major. Some rust but no cancer. The underside is as dry as the top and she sits on the orignal pan. Not sure about the engine but I just had it rebuilt by Brad at Nyscoe Motors in Santa Ana. Hopefully within' the month all the rubber will be replaced. Within' 3 months, I'd like to have the seats recovered and some german carpet installed. I have some over riders that are sitting in my garage new in box but I need the bumpers re-chromed and straightened. So, there she is. I'll try to keep this thing updated as stuff gets done. I wanna say thank you to all the help and tips that I've received from my posts and threads. I appreciate all the help and knowledge that i've gained so far! Thanks and peace out! - Michael Laughing

PS - As you can see, I finally learned how to post a picture. Or in this case, many! Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by squaretobehip on Thu May 21, 2009 5:54 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onerase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Sally is pretty. I love the label-maker german labels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little back story...the car was in a barn for a good 20 years. it's got 120,000 miles. She wears all her original paint and I haven't even buffed it out yet. It looks really good for being 44 years old. i need a weekend buddy in orange county who wouldn't mind showing me a thing or two. i don't wanna pay someone to install a bunch of stuff, i would rather learn how to do it from someone who is willing to teach a 21 year old kid. let me know what you think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks onerase!
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to get that 4 lug stuff off the front and get it back to stock now.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'd like to go 5 lug discs all around. it's got 4 lug discs up front right now. it'll do for now as it stops just fine. Very Happy 5 lug front drums are something i don't want to search for.... Confused
acetate909
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice find :thumbup:
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

other than the license plate and the 4lug fronts, that is the spitting image of my first squareback , which I regretfully sold. I'm talking down to the dent below the right rear tail light. Do not sell that car, lest you regret it forever. if you do ever decide to sell, PM me LOL
Pierre G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69SquareGuy wrote:
yeah i'd like to go 5 lug discs all around.

Why ? It's totally unnecessary. Wide 5 disc up front would be far enough. T3s brake very well with discs up front and drums rear.
Oh, and nice car btw.

Pierre
1976 181/Thing, 1967 fastback, 1973 squareback, 1964 microbus, 1967 Double Cab, 1969 westfalia (currently under resto), 1972 LM1C dune buggy, 1974 jean's bug, 1974 1303 (super beetle, currently under reassembly after new paint).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What no pics of the engina? I want to see the engina! And whats with the Duetchstickerlabelens?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks for the nice comments so far. yeah i guess all i really need is front 5 lug discs then. if anyone wants 4 lug disc fronts, i need 5 lug discs. let's talk. i will post some engine shots tomorrow! so tune back in. erik g, too bad! you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. Cool the labels were on there when i got it. some home made labels...maybe the original owner was too cheap to get the actual original stickers Wink they will stay on the car as long as i have it because they add so much character. i might just make up some new one's because "Der Drizzleflipp" is missing a few letters.
dubbed71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet car. great condition too and the labels are priceless.
bigbussur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice ride, wish I had seen that one up here in town, lucky you. Have fun with it, that is a nice find. anthony
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bad news to report today. last night on the way home from work my clutch tube broke. i knew it was that because i heard a loud thud and then my clutch pedal was really loose. when the car was off i pushed the pedal in and sure enough i could hear some rattling in the tunnel behind the front seats. it's being worked on today and tomorrow. Embarassed also having the engine tuned up 'cause i just hit 500 miles since the rebuild. oh freeways here i come... hey eric do you have any pictures of that similar first squareback?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you took that right rear fender OFF the car you could work that tail light area back into shape! The front fender you could fix ON the car.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

body work scares me. Sad i would ask for tips but i don't know what i'm doing.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody can learn to pound metal with a BIG hammer! Sanding/bondo/primer/paint! Nothing more satisfying than painting it yourself and you can fix it again when it gets "dinged" up! Cool P.S. Buy Custom Painting by Tom Brownell or similar if you think you need it? Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
estofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! Nice looking square back - My brother has a 66 fasty the same color and about the same condition.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bad news. Picked up the car after having the clutch tube done and new axle boots put on...took it out for a drive with Brad to make sure everything was cool and it drove like a new car. then, i left...1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear, 3rd gear, 3rd gear....stuck. so, i went around the block, pulled back in, and there it sits. he tried for an hour and just could not get it to shift out of third. really bummed, but atleast all the major stuff is getting done. Mad that square does not want to leave the shop...
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to get it out of 3rd gear through the oil fill plug hole.
Screw driver through the hole, and pop it out.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: