Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

I am told the original air cleaner doesnt work very well. It is not on, and I want to get the two little paper filters. I cant find them at the local checker and other parts stores with small enough bases to fit my carb. Where can I buy these? What is a good size to use? Thank you. By the way, It is a 72 bus.
matt
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

The 72 bus air cleaner works VERY well. It is the only year they used an oil bath air cleaner on the type4 engine. 72 and up went to paper.
Besides being a better filter, it also has a pre-heat system on it.
Whoever told you it 'doesn't work very well' has their head up their butt!
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:06 am    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

aufever is correct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

The original air cleaner works SO well that VW used them in their Buses for over 50 years.
Karl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

Ooops, typo.... should say '73 and up went to paper'.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

Ok then, Ill give the stock cleaner a try. What do I need to do to it to ensure it is ready. Ive never worked with an oil bath cleaner before. Thank you.
matt
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:39 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

First things first Matt! Do not let the top section get flipped upside down or you will get the filter all gummed up. The two sections that go to each carb have a hard rubber section holding them to the main filter. Make sure that these are not cracked or ripped. If so you can make new one's out of a old inner tube (bike). Are all the vacuum hoses still there and do you know where they go. There is a red line at the bottom of the filter pan. Fill with 30 wt oil to this line (pint or so). I am a firm believer in vacuum hoses. There are four hoses and one metal tube. The two larger hoses go from the charcoal canister and the breather box. The small hoses (red or green)from under the right wing go to the round gizmo on top of the air intake and the other on goes to the vacuum elbow at the base of the right carb. Make sure that the brass damper flap moves freely once the filter is in place. Also when I am putting the filter in watch the clips because they like to snag on wires.

have fun
Jeffro
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

A few questions:
1)How does the air cleaner stay in place. Should there be somewhere that it bolts to or something.
2)Does a paper filter fit into the box. (there is nothing there right now.
3)Where is the charcol canister, and breather box?
Thank you very much everyone.
matt
koho60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

Matt,

Are you sure your air cleaner is a oil bath? It should be round and it clips (nine oclock and 3oclock) onto a frame on top of your motor. Just to the right of your distributor is a 3x5 box with a wire bale holding the top on. This is your breather box. The charcol canister is attached to the top panel above the engine in the front it's about 5x7. A oil bath air cleaner does not have paper in it. Like I said it is round. Look in the classifieds, I think there is a picture of one in there. If yours is square it's not stock for a 72. I would then think of buying the oil bath! If you want to keep your bus stock.

Jeffro
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Where can I buy air cleaners to fit dual carbs? Reply with quote

It is the oil bath type. When I bought the bus, it was not installed. So, I dont think there is anything in there to hold it in. Can I make something? Thanks.
matt
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: