Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need new torsion bars - need help deciding and understanding
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Need new torsion bars - need help deciding and understanding Reply with quote

Alright, so I need new rear torsion bars, my stock never removed ones are so old they're sagging (they do have over 740,000 miles on them !)
I have been looking at the Sway A Way bars, I know I need the 24 11/16" for my 71 IRS, but what thickness should I go with ? And also which bushings should I use, I know there is an inner and an outer bushing, I just don't know where they go lol.
The car is a daily driver (well was, I used to drive it 24k/yr, now I only drive it about 6-8k/yr), it currently runs mid 15 seconds in the quarter but the engine is capable of mid to high 14s I think (that's before I go turbo Twisted Evil )
I have KYB GR2s in the rear (maybe thinking of switching to the white KYBs ?) and a 3/4" rear sway bar if that makes a difference. The car bottoms out easily right now, followed by bad wheel hop. I have a mid trans bracket (the one from ACN) and rear trans strap. I used to have a traction bar but it won't fit with my exhaust system so I no longer have that ....
So basically, which thickness bar should I get, which bushings, and should I replace anything else while I am in there ?
Any help is greatly appreciated
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can not go wrong with sway a way, espesially if you plan on a turbo. i went with 27mm torsoins from sway a way on my 63 with a 2110. the bushings will need to be urathane and think about a truss bar (kafer bar) that along with the new sways and urathane bushings and possible sway bar will be leaps and bounds above what you have now!
check out what i did to mine!
http://s431.photobucket.com/albums/qq37/johnnysubhuman/?albumview=slideshow

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny you should post this link, I saw your car (well, that link) the other day (in the Chico feedback thread) and that's what reminded me I needed to change the torsion bars still !
So since you used a 27mm short length bar, I would probably need a 28mm to be equivalent on my medium length bar.
Did you notice a big difference in how the car sits when not moving and sags when accelerating ? Did it also make a difference in turns ?
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it made all the difference in the world, no sag when accelerating, it corners like it is on rails Shocked i would talk to sway a way about your long bars because it totally depends on the set up you have (engine, driving habits, etc.) on which ones you need. but 28mm sounds about right. mine feel just right not to much give or too bouncy but just the right balance in the twisties!

george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool thanks Smile

Do you guys think I should also replace the spring plates or are the stock ones good enough ?
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71sbeetle wrote:
Do you guys think I should also replace the spring plates or are the stock ones good enough ?

Anyone ? Can't find much info about the SAW spring plates
A.J.Sims
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some cut and past info from my site!!

MODEL YEAR -vs- APPLICATION CHART
SIZE------------ DESCRIPTION -----------------------APPLICATIONS
21 3/4” --------Long Short Torsion Bar------------ 60-68 Type I Swing Axle
24 11/16”---- Long Intermediate Torsion Bar ---49-59 Type I swing Axle
24 11/16” ----Long Intermediate Torsion Bar--- 69-72 Type I IRS
24 11/16” ----Long Intermediate Torsion Bar ---65-67 Type III swing Axle
26 9/16”-------Long Long Torsion Bar -------------73 & L Type I IRS

TORSION BAR SPRING RATE CHART
BAR LENGTHS
Diameters 21 3/4”--- 24 11/16”--- 29 9/16”
*22mm---- 588---------- 497--------- 464
*23mm ----702---------- 593--------- 554
25mm ------979---------- 828--------- 773
26mm ------1145--------- 968--------- 904
27mm ------1333-------- 1126-------- 1052
28mm ------1541-------- 1303-------- 1217
29mm ------1774-------- 1499-------- 1400
30mm ------2031-------- 1716-------- 1603
*For reference only. These are stock Volkswagen Sizes.

i would go with 25mm for your combo and planed use, now if the car was 90% strip (with slicks) and only 10% street and had a turbo combo then look at 27mm. Keep your stock spring plates but look at some good shocks if you do go with 25mm bars!!!!

more info on the site!!
http://www.lowbugget.com/SwayAway.html
68 drag bug 1915cc 10.50's @130mph
66 fastback 2387cc turbo street car
67 baja 2054cc turbo.
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks AJ for the info ! I knew I had seen it somewhere !
Which shocks would you recommend for the rear ? I currently have KYB GR2s but thinking of getting KYB Gas-Adjusts (white) ?
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gr2's are good (that is what i have) but whites are better, i also went with sway a way springs plates because they are more heavy duty and add some rigidity to the rear. anyway, i over built my rear in case i ever want a turbo or more power, you never know. something to keep in mind on your build.

george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

Mark Twain
A.J.Sims
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan to step up to a set of 25mm or larger than check out a set of QA1's Link:
http://www.lowbugget.com/9010shocks.html
They have 12-position rebound valving knob and that makes it easy to set up as you start high and turn them down as needed!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68 drag bug 1915cc 10.50's @130mph
66 fastback 2387cc turbo street car
67 baja 2054cc turbo.
71sbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet !
wow those QA1's are nice but way out of my price range for now.
subhuman, I really like the GR2s too (that's what I currently have) but I had Gas-A-Justs on my 54 and my 65 and I loved them even more ! So I think I'll need to get a set of them.

When you install SAW torsion bars, do you need special bushings ? I was thinking of ordering the high density ones from Topline Parts along with new diagonal arm bushings.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: