Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

late 40hp motor
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
planedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: late 40hp motor Reply with quote

I picked up a later 40hp motor recently. It has an motor code of F1261718 on the block.

If I understand this makes it a 1967 40hp, 1300cc and singleport head package. The motor is compleat less the carb and a fuel pump, but had all the tin the exhaust and heater boxes and the clutch. I am going to a bug show this weekend and need to find a carb to get it running. What carb should be on this motor, a 28pic?

Iam interested in doing the Vintage Speed build on the motor and hope to find an early beetle to give it a home after the first of the year.
I have seen recomendations on 40hp builds on this fourm but most refer to pre 67 motors. The question should this block be expected to have cam berrings stock. What pitfall/advantages should I look for when building this vintage motor up? My Son works at the best VW machine shop in town, Automotive Machine in FT. Worth Tx, so any work I need done will be done with the best quality.

I have a cool foundation, I'm just interested in what those who use this fourm think about this combo as a start.

Have a good one.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi your motor is a 1300 not a 40hp. it has a 69mm crank, cam bearings, later width rods, 22mm piston pins, angled port heads etc. basically all of the features you find up to the 1600's. a viable option for period tuning though.

it would have come with a 30pict carb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
planedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I looked numerous books and web sites for info on the motor and many of them clashed on this block number for an ID. Was 1967 just a strange year or is this disagreement common? It is funny though, I picked up this motor to rework after a 67 beetle in otherwise good shape was offered to me motor-less. The guy bought the car for the 1641 that was in it, to finish his own 64 bug and was dumping it for the room. As I priced buying a long block+core+tin+dizzy+intake+carb+genny+...well you get it...I realized my $600 "find" was about to cost 3 grand. I passed on the car and have regreted it.
The plan is to find a 65-66-67 and do a period correct resto - hop up. This time in my life was cool. My Dad was stationed in Airzona and we had a hot rodded 62 Corvair. We were constantly compairing it to hopped up Bugs and it was the VW's that I liked then, that I hope to replicate now.
Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on this post and on this fourm for more good info...
Have a good one.
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get what is going on now.

your motor is a f cased 1300 listed on this site as 1300 40bhp (46?hp)

the 40hp motors that are being talked about in this forum are listed on this site as 1200 34bhp.

bhp vs hp

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

btw the 36hp motors talked about in the 36hp dragracing thread etc are the old 1200's with the cast in generator stand also sometimes called 30bhp motors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fredy a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the same as im doning

a F block opend to 1600 ( sorry)
singel ported and som cam e 100 or e 110
loking for the vintage look

started to make my one manifolds last day

and this is not the engen that im going to rebild

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sorry for the spelling
planedude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking to go with a more period correct (1966/67) set of 1500 jugs and pistons. I'm just having a tough time finding them. I find them for the early blocks I just need to find them for my late block.
I see yours is still a single port, did you do any work to the heads?
fredy a
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planedude wrote:
I was looking to go with a more period correct (1966/67) set of 1500 jugs and pistons. I'm just having a tough time finding them. I find them for the early blocks I just need to find them for my late block.
I see yours is still a single port, did you do any work to the heads?

the heads im going to have on the engen is off for porting and policing nowe. Twisted Evil m after the look of the sngle port (old skool)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: