Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

????shocks?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

the shocks on my bus say they are "gas adjust". can they be adjusted or is this just a brand name?, they are white( if that makes a difference) and are really pumped up and stiff. the front rides really high. i first thought that i had the ass sag but that is not true cause the wheel well sits at the same hight on the tire as another bus in the parking lot. oh, and the rear shocks are different, i cant tell what kind they are, but theay are definately not the same
thanks for any help
lc
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

What year is your Bus?
Do you have the same Gas-Adjust shocks on the rear?
Who says the other Bus you saw doesn't have rear torsion bar sag?
On a perfectly level surface with a 1972 Bus with 185 14 tires, for example, you should have 10" clearance exactly at the differential/bell housing seam.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

my bus is a 1973. i assumed the other bus doesnt have the sag because it sits level, hmm maybe not, i will measure. i didnt put the shocks on, so i dont know what they are. but are the gas-adjust shocks adjustable.
wher is the differential bell housing seem?
thanks
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

Congratulations! You have KYB Gas-Adjust shocks, the same kind that most of us use.
The KYB stands for "Kills Your Back".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:38 pm    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

ok, so they are supposed to be stiff, thats what i gather from the KIlls your back. but are they adjustable?
lc
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

never mind i found out, they are adjust to weght
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

You can try switching to KYB GR2 shocks on the front, they aren't as stiff. If you have wads of cash, Bilstein makes shocks for the Vanagon but they run about $100 each.
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

no wads here. at least of cash!
farmersdahtr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

I love my KYB's on my 82. Yeah they're stiff, but they're always there for me when a sharp curve surprises us. They outperform my brakes, and my reflexes. The Bilstiens are too rich for my blood, KYBs work just fine.
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: ????shocks? Reply with quote

Use GR2's up front and get urethane sway mounts to keep the roll to a minimum.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: