Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie and parts - hello
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Newbie and parts - hello Reply with quote

I'll do an entry on the Member's Rides, or a better introductory post later, but for now...
The seals around both front door windows are shot - the passenger badly and the driver side just starting to crack.
So I ordered:
(2) http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1226770418181/page_528
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1226770418181/page_526
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1226770418181/page_527

The seals around the wing windows are fine.
That seems correct, right? I also asked Van Cafe to verify I ordered the right parts... I'm confident about the scrapers but wasn't sure the channel is correct...

On another note, the total for those parts was $102, which seemed a little steep for freakin' rubber gaskets, but GoWesty's prices for the same parts was more than DOUBLE. That just seems insane.

I really like GW's website and ordered the replacement sunroof kit through them when I first got the bus a couple months ago...but hoipaloi, they're not cheap.

Anyway, more later. Any confirmation or warning on the ordered seals the the difficulty/ease of replacement would be appreciated.
Thanks!
KM
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My decently-viewed but non-replied post on p.3 already. Pretty busy forum! It's hard for me to keep up!

No input? Was I too noobish in my question? Or everything looks ok? The parts are in transit so hopefully this weekend I'll find out just how hard this is. I'm not much a mechanic so getting my toes wet slowly.
From what I've read around, the lower seals should be easy (slide out, slide in) but the left/top one, I'm not so sure about.

Barring any replies, I guess I'll find out myself!

Also ordered a new antenna as I did not retract mine enough taking it through a car wash and the old one broke off. In the meantime, I took the one from my Pathfinder and it *almost* fits - the thread seems the same diameter but it's not deep enough. For now, I set it in the broken piece and crimped the old antenna base around the new one. Fine reception for now!
I don't look forward to trying to pull the new cable though - removing the instrument cluster sounds daunting.

I replace the sunroof myself last month. It fit fairly snug so figured no need to replace the seals. It rained hard this past weekend and my sunroof leaked as we cruised down the highway...dammit.

Think I can trim the existing seal with a razor blade? Or should I just replace it... I need to boil the new seal first eh? THink I can heat the old one with a hairdryer and form it to the new sunroof?

I appreciate any replies but, even if not, I've got this Westy and I love being back in one so I'm sticking around for a while!
KM
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say your good... Prices are really not that expensive if you compare to what it would cost to replace the equivalent in a new car.....

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
wgargan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh..... and welcome to the forum! its a great place to gain and give knowledge. lets see some pictures Very Happy

1983.5 Watercooled Vanagon 'L' Automatic transmission
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolmoe wrote:
My decently-viewed but non-replied post on p.3 already. Pretty busy forum! It's hard for me to keep up!

No input? Was I too noobish in my question? Or everything looks ok?

I Viewed it multiple times in an effort to see what year and model van you are speaking of. Add that to your signature line and it really helps us help you. Welcome to the samba and do post pics.

Very Happy Very Happy
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you made a wise choice to replace the window rubber now as opposed to later. These parts are getting harder to find and were at the mercy of the vendors.
Van Cafe is a good supplier of parts.
I have an air-cooled Westy and they kinda dont have much in the way for us airheads.
Shop around for parts because they will vary in price....sometimes lots more sometimes not so much more.
Case in point ,I replaced my fuel injectors with new Bosch parts. Prices for the same item differed anywhere from $40-$100 for each one !!!.
If you looking for a real good antenna check out the Hirschman antenna at Go-Westy. It retracts all the way down to the top of the antenna base.
Oh I allmost forgot, welcome aboard and what type and year VW do you drive ??
Happy and safe trails to ya
iiigoiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as to the two scrapers - yes, they are press-in, press-out...UNLESS you have the chrome moulding that goes around the windows. if you do (assuming you're talking about the exterior scrapers) you'll have to:
- set the new scraper next to the old one, and mark the front and back ends on the old scraper with a sharpie (the back side should end underneath a chrome clip, and the front side should end at the transition to the triangular vent window)
- pry off the chrome clip on the back side of the main window with a screwdriver
- pull out the old scraper up to the front end mark you just made (where it goes underneath the triangular vent)
- cut off the old scraper at that point with tin snips
- press in the new one

(as everyone has said, put your year/model in your signature line, so we know what year you have!)
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!
I thought I had added an avatar but think it was too large. Got it down below the 8k limit and...voila!
Also added my brief vehicle history to the sig - should show up on this post. Current VW is a 1990 Westy GL (Savannah). So happy to be back in a Westy - I forgot how much I missed my old one (though gotta say, the Pathfinders seats were more comfortable - nicely conformed to my tush after 13 years!)

Thank for all the replies and welcomes. I wish these types of forums were around when I had my '82 Westy - I could have cared for it so much better...or at least gotten a better trade-in on it.

The window scrapers do not have the chrome (took me a while to figure out what 'WITH CHANNEL' meant on the various parts sites!), fortunately, so should be easy. I thought I handled the sunroof replacement well (not being all that mechanical) but then it leaked, so I'm doubting myself Wink
This will be a nice way to start building up the automotive confidence again!

I'll try to do more picts and an intro thread this weekend. I could spend all day reading through the posts here (and have spent countless hours trying to catch up over the past several weeks)...but just not enough time in my day!

Oh, and antenna - now that my Pathfinder replace rig works well enough for radio reception, I'll probably just stick the replacement antenna (think I ordered the basic one) in storage for now. Next is too see if I can replace the original VW radio with the one from my Pathfinder...since it's gonna be donated/junked anyway.

Savannah is my daily driver, about 7 miles each way to work and weekend errands/kid shuttle (my 2 and 6 y.olds LOVE it. My 15 year old thinks it's dorky Wink. Got it about a month ago. I have big plans! But first Big Thing is to determine why my heat smells of coolant ;-(
Hoping it's coolant leak to the heater and not the gaskets. Will take to a local VW shop the next week for a detailed review.

THANKS!
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that Color! One of my Faves! Congrats again and Welcome. Ask and you shall receive. It is easy to get lost in here...what I first did after frequenting this site for @ 3 1/2 years was to #1, register, #2 go to the http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=128668 and bookmark most of those that applied to me, and #3 I learned so much so quick that it necessitated me selling my beloved 1980 Westy and upgrading to another 1991 Westy........this place can make you so jealeous but overall it is a good influence.

I work 12 hour rotating day/night shifts and have the luxury of being able to spend lots of time on here, but, almost never visit on my days off.

start a thread for your local area and meet some local people and you will find that there is a lot of common ground and help right in your neck of the woods....

that is so funny that your 15 year old thinks it is "Dorky"! Someday the light will turn on and your 15 year old will be at home........

I like the name Savannah as well........
koolmoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig this color too - mostly blue but under the right light, it's purple. I dig subtle purple. And it's the only one I've seen that has 'racing strips' down the side. Nifty Wink

You should see my 'Westy' bookmarks folder. I think it has more URLs than any other part of my bookmarks, and that's just over the last several weeks!

And hear you about 'not satisfied' and jealous. I like this VW and it's in generally good condition, but then I see some others for sale for just a few grand more that look just a bit cooler...
But, nah, will stick with Savannah for a while.

My 15 y/old will get over the 'dorky' when he realizes the Bus + chicks is just...cool. Personally, I am not anxious for that realization!

Still haven't gotten the Van Cafe package yet. Will update this thread when it arrives and I've a chance to get those scrapers replaced. Time for another post on my custom DashTray...
KM
from '91-'95: 1982 Westy Diesel (Smokey. Traded in for far too little!)
from '87-'91: 1980 VW Rabbit (my econoPorsche - passed on)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: