Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

55 questions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: 55 questions Reply with quote

I managed to get a 55 bug for 200$, the only thing is it is a shell.
I will say what it has rather than what is missing(its a shorter list)
it has og pan, ribbed doors, all large logo glass, semaphores, rear seats,
& deck lid. nothing else is there. I am aware what is correct as far as fenders and hood goes, as well as front seats. the car is fairly solid, it has
been hit on the pas front. Now for questions, I have heard conflicting info as to what would be correct for tail lights(hearts or eggs). the rear apron is the typical hacked in peashotters, it is th og apron the slots for exhaust
have been hacked in. there are no overrider holes in the front apron so I
am assumeing it came with blades only. The vin states it as a may of 55 car. I am well aware that this car will get expensive fast, but I figuered for 200$ I'm not starting out upside down and was well aware what I was getting into.
Thanks
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the back seat cloth or vinyl? If it's cloth, it's probably a Euro model '55. US-model '55s would have had turn signals and overriders by May. Euro '55s had heart lights until the end of the model year. Make sure the VIN on the bill of sale is the chassis number, not the serial number of a long-lost engine...
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good deal there, the back seat is worth twice that, I saw a back seat in the classifieds that was rusted to !@#$%^ for $300 a while back, the back rest was just a pile of rust and loose springs, I paid $750 for a '54 sunroof with missing seats and I paid more than that for a set of seats, they aren't getting any easier to find, fronts are a lot easier to ship though, just curious since your car has the original rear apron does it look like this one below? someone on here says their '54 has the peashooter reinforcement on a smooth apron? :
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
.... just curious since your car has the original rear apron does it look like this one below? someone on here says their '54 has the peashooter reinforcement on a smooth apron? :

I'd be interested to know the outcome of this too Smile .
My '53 has its OG rear smooth apron that has been hacked about (looks like it's been done with a knife and fork Laughing ) to accept a peashooter exhaust and that has absolutely NO reinforcement at all, just a single skin panel through which the indents of the H pressing is clearly visible.....
I haven't got any pictures unfortunately but have had a good look and cannot see any signs of any reinforcement ever having been removed?

Wink

EDIT
Have just seen your other post over on the Split section and this image exactly matches (with the exception of the home-made cutouts that mine now has) how my Sept '53 rear apron looks......

Last edited by Nessy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Nessy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops......double post!

Last edited by Nessy on Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
mattpeace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no upholstery left on the rear seats, they are just springs and frames. The door panels and rear quarter are cloth with a strip of vynl
at the bottom. There is no inner support on the inside of the rear apron, it does not appear there ever was. The pan and vin tag have num. 1-0887*** and the body has 790*** stamped below the vin plate. If I am wrong about the production date please let me know. The guy I bought it from was dead set it was a 54, yet the vin tag has 1955 stamped below the vin number.
thanks
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattpeace wrote:
There is no upholstery left on the rear seats, they are just springs and frames. The door panels and rear quarter are cloth with a strip of vynl
at the bottom. There is no inner support on the inside of the rear apron, it does not appear there ever was. The pan and vin tag have num. 1-0887*** and the body has 790*** stamped below the vin plate. If I am wrong about the production date please let me know. The guy I bought it from was dead set it was a 54, yet the vin tag has 1955 stamped below the vin number.
thanks

It's definitely Euro-market, built in May '55. The year was stamped on the ID plate only for home-market cars after 1 October 1954.
Corwin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure there should be no "reinforement" for exhaust outlets. Mine does not have it and al of the correct pre-'55 cars I've seen do not, with a single-tip exhaust.
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I found that picture of the reenforced smooth bottom rear apron on an old post from 2007 and I had already chiseled off a few peashooter reenforcements on aprons I converted to early style, I thought maybe I had missed something and that some '54-'55s may have had a reenforcement even though I had never seen one, I have no idea how that '54 car from the photo got a reenforcement on it but I assume it was either a replacement part made like that or maybe something aftermarket, so far I have no other evidence of reenforced smooth aprons ever existing
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: