Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BN4 Gas heater question: carbon deposit on plug prevent fire
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsjohnst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: BN4 Gas heater question: carbon deposit on plug prevent fire Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 73 thing that is equiped with the BN4 gas heat system. I recently got the puppy to fire up after about a year of not working (safety reset switch and a gas leak in the fuel pump). The heater works most of the time, but it often will not fire up after i've turned it on and off a lot. I found the problem to be a small bit of carbon that joins the electrode on the plug to the metal plug casing- thus preventing a spark and ignition. After cleaning this off, the heater always works normally. My question is: how can I prevent this deposit from forming? I only get about an hour and a half of run time before it happens and my heater stops working. It's getting colder here in NC and it would be nice to be able to rely on my heat without having to pull the plug and clean it after every use! Just so you know, I repaced the fuel filter that is before the fuel pump for the heater, so it is brand new and this did not fix the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brendan
bsjohnst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Plug Gap Reply with quote

One more thing I meant to ask: Does anyone know what the gap on the plug for the BN4 is intended to be set to?
bmwloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the documentation I have, plug gap is 2.5 mm (0.1 inch).

Hope that helps!
bsjohnst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... seems as if it is gapped correctly. Still building deposits though Confused

Thanks for the input! Any other suggestions?
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would venture to guess that a carbon deposit would be too much fuel in there and it isn't burning off. Does it smoke at all? Or smell like unburnt fuel when turned on? If so, I'd check the pressure regulator and see if you can't lean it out some.

Do you have the Eberspacher manual? There was a website that had the files, but it seems to have disappeared. I have the manual on my computer if you need it.
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm helping Daddie O with his heater right now, and I think something is wrong with the points - suddenly, I need the manual Wink.

Do you think you could upload it to Veewiki to the BN4 page?
http://veewiki2.webfactional.com/HeaterBN4?action=AttachFile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yellow73kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a large (24mb) .zip file, so I don't think the wiki software will like it. I am trying anyway, if not I will put it somewhere else with a link.

I only have part 1 from the original site. There were 3 parts, but all looked the same, so I deleted the others. The one I have is the VW workshop manual for the BN2/BN4, Kubelmann's CD has the Eberspacher factory manual.

[edit] The VeeWiki site took it fine. Let me know if that archive file doesn't work though (it is a .zip packaged on Linux).
Ian Epperson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! (and thanks to Sam for e-mailing me a copy). We got his heater working late Sunday night.

I'll poke around with these copies and see about getting a good (small Wink) version up on Veewiki.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daddie O
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian was a huge help getting my heater fixed. If I recall correctly the manual said the gap should be .4mm but mine was closer than that and wasn't making contact because the little nub on the points was warn. Now the heater works fine as long as I give an occasional whack to the fuel pump.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daddie O wrote:
Ian was a huge help getting my heater fixed. If I recall correctly the manual said the gap should be .4mm but mine was closer than that and wasn't making contact because the little nub on the points was warn. Now the heater works fine as long as I give an occasional whack to the fuel pump.

That must be a PITA!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: