Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winter buggy build #2
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Winter buggy build #2 Reply with quote

OK guys winter is just around the corner. Last winter I did my buggy that most of you are familiar with http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265364
This winter is buggy #2 time. The buggy is owned by my neighbor, remember the crane truck that was used to flip my buggy? Yep same neighbor. Actually it's his wifes buggy. He gets to build it, she gets to fund it Wink
The buggy has some issues. Frame is cracking in places and it's a shaker at speed. We are going to give it the full cage treatment using .120 wall DOM tube. I had two floors made so it's going to have the same cool floor pan. But with this buggy we will retain the factory tunnel. Outer frame will be 2X2. It will also be converted to an IRS.

Today we took some measurements and some before reference pictures. Very soon the tear down will comence.... let the building begin!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave has been busy Cool. He has the car stripped 100%. The old swing is gone. The pan is gone. Once he got everything stripped he found why the car was so creaky. From the looks of it the floor was about the only thing holding the car together and the tunnel. The tunnel looks to have been working on it's self and starting to show signs it was getting tired of doing all the work.

Cracks starting to form behind the E brake handle

Here is Dave hard at work while I sit back and watch Twisted Evil

With all the unnecessary parts out of the way we stopped and started brain storming to find the best way to marry these parts together.

We got an idea and thought it out pretty good. We had a plan "B" if it didn't work out the way we expected.
We slid one inside the other. We aren't sure if this has been done before but dam it fit like a glove.

All impressed with ourselves we pulled it back apart and kept saying " this was WAY to easy, we must be missing something".

Assured it was going to be this easy we prepped surfaces.

Dave got rid of the unnecessary old tubes from inside the tunnel and installed new clutch and throttle tubes. E brake tubes will be done later.

So this is where we are at. ready to be tack welded into place.

But before we tack weld the body has to go on to check clearances, engine has to go in again to check clearances and engine angle and of course wheel base which is darn close to perfect right now. Before this can all happen the body needs to be clearanced for the IRS trailing arms. So this is how she sits.

With the way Dave is working at it it wont be long for another update! Cool Cool Cool
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
Rob Stone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the kind of project I like Glasser!! Wink Have you pondered treating the inside of the tunnel with some sort of metal prep and maybe a spray sealant? My tunnel was rusted inside like that one. I treated it internally the best I could but......... Seems like the rust would eat from the inside out if left alone?

I also noticed the use of straps to keep the distances the same between the front and back wheels? How are you controlling twist? By twist I mean keeping the top and bottom center of the IRS inline with the top and bottom center of the tunnel.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.

I had a lot of fun doing my car so when my neighbor said he wanted to give his car the frame and cage treatment I was pretty excited. He is doing all of the work, I'm just helping out when needed and posting his progress. So all the credit goes to him on this one.
I know he wants to get it all sandblasted when he gets the pan completed. Maybe I'll tear mine down and do it at the same time??? Maybe not Laughing . It wouldn't be a bad idea to try and get something inside the tunnel, then again the pan is how old and still solid, it will probably out live us Laughing

The two pieces aligned very well. The wheel base is almost perfect and locked in tight! The only slight movement we had is when Dave stepped on it and it did drop down a little so the angle will most certainly be checked. He took angle measurements off of the valve cover before the car was tore down so the trans will go in, the engine will go in and the body on. At that time we can check the angle of the engine and also look for clearance issues. His fan shroud was super close to the back of the buggy body so we will know right away if we are in the ball park.
As with mine this car will be put together and taken apart so many times we will be sick of it. It is just one of those things that has to be done to ensure the quality and accuracy of the build.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more progress...
2X2 tube has been cut and fitted for the frame.
I brought the new floor over from my garage, It will be needed soon.

Making sure everything looks good.....

Tack welded into place...

We just had to see how the floor was going to work. The floor was made for my car originally.

Since this car has the tunnel and original front end supports we will have to do some trimming to the pan.
The rear area will be boxed in with 2X2 connecting the side rails to the tunnel.

The wheel base has been checked and checked again.... and again. By the time I get this on line Dave will probably have the frame welded solid.
WilliamA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Glasser,
Just wanted you to know that I'm shortening a pan for a friend of mine this week and I am stealing your idea for fitting the halves together. Run out and stand by the mailbox. Your inventors gratuity should be there any day! lol
Oh yeah...and the additional holes for welding- clever, very clever.
The part I always hated the worst was dealing with the E-brake lines. I finally solved that one in my own inimicable style. I'll post a couple pics of how I do it now. (I mean, the E-brake lines. Not the OTHER do it. That's for a different website).
Hey to Rob and everyone. Baby is now 5 weeks old and doing fine. Momma and I are starting to learn the zen of insomnia. I've gotten sidetracked from the thread Neil and I started (Evolver) by a bay window single cab project I found. Should be back on the Evolver soon!
Keep it up. Just cause I'm not posting doesn't mean I'm not lurking!
Bill

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
GreenMeanie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the reason for removing the rear end section?
Just to replace the tubes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Thanks Bill.
Congrats on the new VW mechanic Orange Bug. Sleep is over rated anyhow Laughing . Enjoy the moments while you have a chance to. Cool project by the way (Evolver)Cool

Think about shortening a pan using this method, it might be twice as much work.... unless I am missing something here you will need to take a section out of the straight part of the tunnel and then cut where we did. Now swapping swing to IRS that is another story. It has worked out so well...... almost too easy.

DO tell about the E Brake tubes!!!! Sounds like you "do it" correctly in both cases (with a new little one and all) Laughing

Quote:
What was the reason for removing the rear end section?
Just to replace the tubes?

Swing to IRS swap.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more progress.................. VW Logo
The chassis was flipped over to install the rear frame cross members. These cross members really tie the car together nicely.

Mock up.

Left side welded in right side next....

A little before and after comparison.......... Which would you prefer Cool

Frame complete.

Installing the pan to the frame.

The easy way to "flip" a buggy......... A little more "Action and Drama" for Murzi Cool

The proper way to move a body around Laughing

Pan is pretty much complete.

Next up. Angle Iron to be bolted into place in preparation for the cage fabrication.
tinnocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser, I just installed the 2x2 tube rails to my frame last week. Some of your pics look awfully familar. I ran my outside tubes past the front body support and tied them into the front torsion frame head. I already had the 11 gage so I used it for the floor pans. Overkill, yes. From the upside down pictures of the bottom, I couldn't figure out how you laid your formed floor pan and covered the flat tunnel area and it was still flat looking. So I went back to your 2x2 frame pictures and saw that you actually lowered the outside 2x2 frame from the original height to accomodate the lower bottom of the tunnel. I just made the bottom of my 2x2 tubing the same level as the lip on the tunnel and tacked a 11 gage strip 1/2" wide for the lip on the 2x2 and laid the 11 gage floor plates into that. Maybe if the weather clears up here I can post some pictures of my build. Tinnocker
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we kept the original mounting point of the body the same height. The bottom side of the 2X2 is actually lower than the factory pan would have been. For this car the advantage is a flat pan as you noticed and also slightly lower seat mounting. Being a street buggy we aren't to worried about ground clearance.

Start a thread and lets see your build!!!!
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more progress....
Dave has been busy over the Christmas holidays getting the chassis a roller again. New dual master cylinder and new lines have been installed. New bearings in the rear and axles have been installed. E Brake is working again and shifter is in, gas and clutch cables are in. Lots more I'm sure I am forgetting.
The body is bolted to the chassis so now it's on to the cage, the fun stuff!

Front hoop....

bending the lay back bend....

Rear hoop....

Roof bars in place.... The roof bars look a little low here but the seats are sitting on top of the studs so will drop down when installed properly.

We now interrupt this build for a word from our sponsors Laughing

Test fitting the Targa support bar.

Messing around with templates. I think Dave is on to something with this Targa look. (check out the tilt steering column!)

tinnocker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the bar that Dave is holding his hand on. I haven't seen a cage with that bar. Will he tie it to the center roll bar and thru the floor?
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots more to build yet......
Yes the plan is to tie the "wish bone" of the rear suspension into the cage so there will be some vertical bars going down through the floor and tying everything together. We are going for a complete cage that is tied into the entire car in a similar fashion to the way I did mine. Clearances in this car are not as forgiving so we will see what we can come up with.
A dash bar will be installed yet as well as a seat belt bar. Then the front of the cage will be tied into the front suspension again as I did with mine.
We are just getting started.................. Cool
HPjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. I like that targa thing, keep the photos coming!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, will do.

Dave has been going at it pretty good. I helped him a bit this weekend and got a lot more done.
Side impact bars, seat belt mounting bars, rear targa bar and spacers are done.

Dash bar which will support the steering column.

The wood in the back is from the previous build. Using it as a template for now.

With some cardboard to see what it's going to look like once the skin is installed.

Comments?
vpogv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it a lot. The covered rear area will make it work and look nicely.
CBDZ_CBDZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the cage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Cage is nearing completion. All that is left is the rear drop down bars that will tie into the rear wish bone and shock towers.

A scotch brite pad and a little elbow grease cleans up the bars nicely.

Getting ready to design and fab the rear bars to tie the rear together with the cage.

Dash bar will be added yet. This will help support the tilt steering column.

surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent
Awesome metal work!!! I just wish you lived closer so I could trade glass work for metal work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: