Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Related to all the "Going South" posts, bumfuzzle.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Related to all the "Going South" posts, bumfuzzle. Reply with quote

I've been following this site for about 4 years and find it to be very entertaining and educational. These guys are doing it for real, maybe someday the wife will get on board with a long term trip, she's good for about 2-3 weeks at this point and she's a good buddy so her participation is not optional Very Happy

www.bumfuzzle.com

PS: notice the Presidente box on the roof rack, now that's style!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGChef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude! That's quite a trip!
It makes our upcoming tour of Mexico seem like a Sunday drive!
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
226 nights in the bus
37,065 miles

Averaging 163 miles a day? Sounds like hell to me.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple more that have done something similar. Unfortunately, I can't find the link to my favorite siteabout a couple that drove their 1968 Westy around the world over something like 20 years!

http://www.khaolak.de/Doring2000/suedamer/banden.htm
http://www.vwvagabonds.com/index.html
http://www.southboundexplorers.com/home.html

How I long to be back on the roads of the world!

Ryan

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGChef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I didn't read the entire story but I doubt they drove every day...that said 163miles a day isn't so bad.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You'd better have your calculator recalibrated, it's actually 164.0044247 miles per day. Shocked

I have read the entire story and applying averages in this situation doesn't produce meaningful results. One day of moderate driving and three or more days of rest will give you the same results etc...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairweather wrote:
You'd better have your calculator recalibrated, it's actually 164.0044247 miles per day.

Sometimes you need to make a few assumptions. 226 nights usually means 227 days, or 163 mile per day. Of course since it doesn't sound like it was one continuous trip the number of days could be something else still.
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what emoticon is used for sarcasm but I should've used more. Rolling Eyes Question
Mofus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the "Southboundexplorers" couple. The seem really down to to earth with real world concerns. They've been stuck in Brazil for a while now. The Bumfuzzle's, or whatever they're name is, just seem like a couple spoiled rich kids with nothing to do but play with their Porches, and sail boats, and perfectly restored bus. What's next, are they going to fly their private jet around the world?
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mofus,

So glad someone else thought that...didn't really seem like "real" people doing a long trip and having to figure out budgets and such, a while ago I asked the question to all the long tripper about how the figure the budgets out, do they own houses that have to be paid for etc... no one answered

Don't get me wrong I'm all for people working less and having more fun, but most people still have to work. I try to do at least one long (3-4000mi/month long) trip a year and I have to be figuring it out for a long time in advance. Todd.
jfarsang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Related to all the "Going South" posts, bumfuz Reply with quote

x2 post Very Happy
'72 Baja bug (project) - can't seem to leave us
'92 TD Delica camper - gone to a good home

Last edited by jfarsang on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jfarsang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Related to all the "Going South" posts, bumfuz Reply with quote

I went through their expenses. Compared to the last expedition we did along one of their routes, they did on 1/4 the cost. We were very efficient and counted every penny.

fairweather wrote:
www.bumfuzzle.com

Rich kids is what I call it.

These pretty much sum it up.

"They are an accident waiting for somewhere to happen."

"They are lacking some sound judgment."

"Their general good humor, physical attractiveness, and youth do not excuse their ignorance."

"Pat and Ali appear ill-prepared."

"...the danger is that other idiots may see this story as a recipe for taking off across oceans without basic knowledge, common sense, or a well prepared vessel."

"A charter boat captain recently passed your book along to us...we are both halfway through the book and we are now 100% determined to sell everything and start sailing."

"We are starting to come to terms with the fact that neither of us can cook anything, and so we are having a heck of a time trying to figure out what kind of food to store to last us a few months. After eating Taco Bell five nights a week for four years in Chicago, and pizza the other two, we are realizing we are going to starve out there. Oh well, I'm sure you can last quite a while on beer alone. "

"But what is the deal with food here? Admittedly our diet consists of fast food and snack foods, and maybe carrots and brussel sprouts are different, but our food is through the roof."

Laughing

With that said, they are doing what many just dream of doing someday. That in itself, is a great accomplishment.
'72 Baja bug (project) - can't seem to leave us
'92 TD Delica camper - gone to a good home

Last edited by jfarsang on Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
fairweather
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rich kids is what I call it.

This is exactly the response they got on the cruisers forum, spoiled rich kids Laughing Laughing

Or maybe he's a really smart commodities trader and likes VWs Question Question Question
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumfuzzle wrote:
We had moved to Chicago three years earlier so I could be where the action was in the commodities business and we had done pretty well for ourselves since then

Plus they mentioned they sold their condo and almost all of their possessions.

I don't know, but I wouldn't be so quick to label them spoiled rich kids.
Sounds like they worked hard for their money and just decided to change things up.

Also on their cross country Porsche trip/race they came out over 2k ahead when it was done. Sounds like a smart and fun adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rhinoculips
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link I couldn't find earlier about a couple of true VW travelers. They are a great inspiration to me.

http://20yearsoverland.com/index.html

If memory serves me, they took a 1968 with countless "expedition" modifications.

Click to view image
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn it's a tough crowd here. Heaven forbid someone not an absolute earth-muffin travel the world. Let's pretend they are a part of the rat-race and very career oriented and well-to-do, well then I say even more power to them for slowing things down and getting the hell out of Dodge.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through some of their diaries and they sound like very budget conscious people, rich kids? I don't know, the definition of a rich kid to me has also to do with how they spend their time and lives, and these two guys have all my respect for stepping out of the bubble and taking on an adventure in an old van across so many countries
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tschroeder0 wrote:
Mofus,

So glad someone else thought that...didn't really seem like "real" people doing a long trip and having to figure out budgets and such, a while ago I asked the question to all the long tripper about how the figure the budgets out, do they own houses that have to be paid for etc... no one answered

Don't get me wrong I'm all for people working less and having more fun, but most people still have to work. I try to do at least one long (3-4000mi/month long) trip a year and I have to be figuring it out for a long time in advance. Todd.

I agree, to be honest, my Mexico trip of last year cost me about 5000$ for 2 people and 2.5 months, wait, I'm not done, another 4000$ for the shop and the apartment wile we are not there (rent, heat, phone....)

So it's close to 9500$. Is it expensive, well, for 2.5 months and a unique adventure.... THE HECK YES!!!! What is killling me it's whatever you have to pay home. The 5000$ is super fine with me.

They may be rich (or not and it' not our business at all) kid but i do think they are spending that money in a pretty cool way.

I think that most criticism come from jealous or scared people!

I'm kind of staying home this year ONLY because my girlfriend his doing her PhD and she need my moral support.... Men other wise, i would be south again with my friends.

Some of my last year trip Westy friend entered Mexico this morning:
http://poolio.net/bacalarblog/

Grrrrrrr...... i will have to settle for a quick run to Florida for the holidays.

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the Thanksgiving weekend reading all their bus travels. Great entertainment, and lots of good info on the places they've been through. They may not be the most well prepared travelers on the globe, but they sure are having fun.
Spoiled rich kids? Why don't you read what he writes about themselves. Sounds like they're living off what they made while working.
My wife and I are selling everything we own in four years and getting out of the rat race. Our kids will be out of the house and we plan to hit the road for at least a year. Hope we won't be considered spoiled rich kids. (We won't be rich but we can still act like kids sometimes.)
ddonnell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ftp2leta wrote:

They may be rich (or not and it' not our business at all) kid but i do think they are spending that money in a pretty cool way.

Ben

well put.

instagram #bajabugproject
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: