Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Burnt wiring smell behind the dash..
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Burnt wiring smell behind the dash.. Reply with quote

Hi, I've got my 67 going good since putting it together and been driving for a few weeks with no problems. The other night I pulled home and noticed a slight smell, definately electrical. Everything has been wired per the Bently manuals with mostly original wiring and is pretty stock other than this:

Basic 12volt H4 bulb conversions, don't remember the wattage
CD player with 2 6 X 9's, no amp. Wired from the fuse box at the radio accessory spot
Vintagebus.com relay conversion

Here's what I noticed.... The burning smell is coming from the headlight switch area, not the fuse panel. When I first shut the headlights off, the CD player turned off , then came back on by itself. I could make it do it 4 times in a row consistantly. It acted like it was a switch that controlled the CD player. I admit, I had the stereo cranking pretty good during my drive. No obvious burned wiring, but I will pull the parcel tray and investigate anyway...

My possible concerns, am I missing something? What do you guys think?
-The headlight switch may me going out, causing a short?
-The stereo is pissing off the fuse box area and robbing the headlights of juice?
-The H4's are overloading the switch?
-Wires possibly shorting inside the headlight buckets?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would definately guestion the switch pull it apart clean it grease it. the stereo and headlights are on the same circuit maybe you are getting a ground in the switch which is just enough of a voltage drop for the stereo to shut it down.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwspijlbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it 3 years ago.
In my situation one of the connectors of the head-light swith made every once and a while connection with the dash resulting in the same smell from the same area.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted by slow36hp, rebuild the light switch. Thanks to Eric&Barb & Matt Roberds for the how-to ....

http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-hauptlicht-schalter.html

The existing wiring should be fine for 12V H4's if you have cleaned all the connections and grounds, and rebuilt the switch. A little DeoxIT on all the connections helps too. You can usually get DeoxIT spray at Radio Shack.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot guys! I did get the switch in a used part bin or swap meet, can't remember. I had my suspicions it was the switch. I tried making the same drive without the stereo on today and I did not notice any smell. I assumed I would have to find a new switch. Thanks for saving me some cash, especially in times like these, I did not know it was rebuildable! Razz

I'll let you know how it turns out...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should look into what wattage of bulb you are using. 55/60 watt will work, much more than that and you need to run a seperate much bigger power wire for the headlights.
Good to solder the brass fuse box clips that hold the fuses to the brass pieces that the wire attach to.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: