Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Southwind Gas Heater - Combustion Air Motor Locking Up
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Southwind Gas Heater - Combustion Air Motor Locking Up Reply with quote

I have a southwind gas heater and have a problem with the combustion air motor locking. I have taken the motor apart several times and it seems that the front bushing is getting hot and locking to the shaft. Each time I lightly sand the shaft and bushing, grease it and put it back together. It spins fine by hand, but after about 10 minutes of use it starts to squeal and then locks. I'm just looking for a quick fix here...don't wanna put anymore cash in it this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hutton65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the shaft bent or out of round? Either of those problems would cause that to happen.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really too short to tell. I considered drilling or reaming the bushing just a few thousanths oversize but I'm afraid of ruining it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freednighthawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What grease are you using? Is it rated for high temps?
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first time I used 3 in one oil, then went with high temp wheel bearing grease, this last time I tried some anti sieze grease... the wheel bearing grease lasted the longest.... maybe an hour of run time.
kme_eone
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: fan motor Reply with quote

I have a good and fan motor, and tested also. You need a new/ used motor. Let me know if you want one, because you need a replacement motor.
Anchorage, AK
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: