Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake rotor machining, 1971 model year split
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
m2008s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: brake rotor machining, 1971 model year split Reply with quote

so my fronts are shot... but my rotors can be turned (no big pits or divits etc). i just want to know the minimum machining level/replacement thickness so i can see if i could get them turned or not

anyone have any idea? also i realize 71 had a split and im trying to figure out which month mine was built... and i have no tag to say so. SN 3612263490

thanks a ton i really appreciate it...

mike

Check out my Myspace (click WWW) and add me, send me a msg though or ill decline Wink.

FOR SALE 71 SQUARE http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=690111
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the rotors changed the calipers did, too. Do you have two bleeder valves on each side? What is the bolt spacing on the caliper? We can determine "early '71" or "late '71" with those two pieces of info.

I am not sure if the min rotor thickness changed at that time. The calipers and pads got larger, and the rotors changed. But the thickness may or may not have, so it may not change your answer about machining them or not. You can call the machine shop and ask them if it changed.

Also, check the rotor's outer edge; I thought the min dimension was cast into it.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotor change happened in 72, not 71.
71 takes the same rotor as 1966 thru 1971.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Bentley, the thickness didn't change with the rotor size change. New thickness should be 9.45 - 9.50mm (.372-.374 inches), and the wear limit (for replacement) is 8mm (.315 inches). Now the minimum thickness after turning can only be 8.50mm (.335 inches) thick. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Rotor change happened in 72, not 71.
71 takes the same rotor as 1966 thru 1971.

That's what I thought, and posted many months ago, but I got corrected that late in the '71 model year they introduced the change. At any rate, the simultaneous caliper change is easy to spot. They were sometimes changed if the car was hit in front (like mine) and the beam replaced. I have a '73 beam so I have the later brakes on my '71.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August 71 is when they made the change. Which would be 72 model year.
They also changed the T-3 caliper again in the June 72.

http://classicvw.org/gallery2/d/11386-1/Brake+Manual+154.jpg

http://classicvw.org/gallery2/d/11389-1/Brake+Manual+155.jpg

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
m2008s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, i really appreciate the help. foreign parts store told me different, but i believe you all over them

mike

Check out my Myspace (click WWW) and add me, send me a msg though or ill decline Wink.

FOR SALE 71 SQUARE http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=690111
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
atrujillo1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
August 71 is when they made the change. Which would be 72 model year.
They also changed the T-3 caliper again in the June 72.

http://classicvw.org/gallery2/d/11386-1/Brake+Manual+154.jpg

http://classicvw.org/gallery2/d/11389-1/Brake+Manual+155.jpg

My car was built 08/71. My left front caliper is the later style with two bleeders and the right is the earlier caliper with only one bleeder valve Laughing
'96 Celebration Jetta- 16vABA
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you have different spindles and discs on the sides?!

There are some subtleties in the T3 calipers. For example, the same looking part, minus the compensating pin device, is used in the T4, but they are NOT interchangeable. Also, relevant to you, there are reports of a smaller calipers that still have two bleeders. These may have been replacement units made with two so they can be used right or left side. This might explain yours without the extreme of different year axles on the same beam!

Last edited by KTPhil on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: brake rotor machining, 1971 model year split Reply with quote

m2008s wrote:
so my fronts are shot... but my rotors can be turned (no big pits or divits etc). i just want to know the minimum machining level/replacement thickness so i can see if i could get them turned or not

anyone have any idea? also i realize 71 had a split and im trying to figure out which month mine was built... and i have no tag to say so. SN 3612263490

mike
If they are shot, what good with turning do? I never turn rotors, no matter what. You want them as thick as possible.
VWGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: brake rotor machining, 1971 model year split Reply with quote

Icy wrote:
m2008s wrote:

mike
If they are shot, what good with turning do? I never turn rotors, no matter what. You want them as thick as possible.

I hate to agree with Icy, but I don't see why you are turning your rotors either... if they are "shot" then get new ones...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: