Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio from 86 Syncro stuck on SAFE
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Radio from 86 Syncro stuck on SAFE Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone have the details on how to get the stock radio out of SAFE mode?

I have the code, and I have been told a couple of key combination's to hold down that should allow this code to be entered, but no go.

If anyone has step by step instructions I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the VW "Heidelberg" Radio manual (1989)

Canceling the electronic lock-up

Switch on the Radio. the word "SAFe" is displayed.

Push and Hold the AM/FM BAND SELECTOR and then push and Hold the SCAN BUTTON until "1000" appears on the display and then goes blank.

Use the STATION BUTTONS 1 through 4 to enter your personal code number.

Finally, push and Hold the AM/FM BAND SELECTOR and then push and Hold the SCAN BUTTON until the word "SAFe" is displayed. After the buttons are released, the radio frequency will be displayed and the radio will work again.

If the word "SAFe" is first blinking, and then stays on a wrong code Number was entered.
---------- -----------------------------
Be careful entering the code - you only get three tries then it locks up for good. The manual says at that point you need to go to the dealer but I don't think they can do anything with it now.

I could not clear the code on the original radio in my 89 about 10 years ago even though I had the correct code. The dealer said that was a bug in some of those radios. They had an OEM replacement in stock so I bought it. Never set the code on the new one.

Hope this helps...

1989 Wolfsburg
2212 WBX - Manual
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwallace wrote:
From the VW "Heidelberg" Radio manual (1989)

Canceling the electronic lock-up

Switch on the Radio. the word "SAFe" is displayed.

Push and Hold the AM/FM BAND SELECTOR and then push and Hold the SCAN BUTTON until "1000" appears on the display and then goes blank.

Use the STATION BUTTONS 1 through 4 to enter your personal code number.

Finally, push and Hold the AM/FM BAND SELECTOR and then push and Hold the SCAN BUTTON until the word "SAFe" is displayed. After the buttons are released, the radio frequency will be displayed and the radio will work again.

If the word "SAFe" is first blinking, and then stays on a wrong code Number was entered.
---------- -----------------------------
Be careful entering the code - you only get three tries then it locks up for good. The manual says at that point you need to go to the dealer but I don't think they can do anything with it now.

I could not clear the code on the original radio in my 89 about 10 years ago even though I had the correct code. The dealer said that was a bug in some of those radios. They had an OEM replacement in stock so I bought it. Never set the code on the new one.

Hope this helps...

I seem to remember that you get three tries and then must wait for some specified time interval to pass. Then again this could be some other system I am remembering.

I have to repeatedly hit the AM/FM and Scan button on mine to make it work, maybe as many as ten or twenty times for it to take. I sweat it every time I have to reset the codes, will it work one more time please!!! On mine at least the first number of the code, a "1" is already entered, don't know if all radios work the same.

I would love to know how to disable the code system. Does anyone know how to do this? I would never have set it in the first place had I know what a pain in the ass it would be all these years.
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwallace,

I have two SCAN buttons on the right side, not sure which is the correct one, but I've obviously tried both but nothing gets me to a point where I can enter a code.

I also just realized the code written down in the manual ends in a 9 !!

New deck is on the Wish List anyways, was just hoping for some radio in the mean time.

Here is a picture of the unit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks.
offthewallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the same model. According to the photo in the manual the scan button to push is the one above pre set button 6... middle row to the right of the FF button.

1989 Wolfsburg
2212 WBX - Manual
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a good explanation with pics.

http://www.diynexus.com/vw/mk2_code_radio_heidelberg_vi/mk2_code_radio_heidelberg_vi.html

If you want to decode the radio so you don't have to deal with codes in the future, this site has information on how to do it. Haven't tried it yet myself, but will soon.

http://mysite.verizon.net/janvdb/vw/Electrical/Coding_Radios
meyervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since its German I will bet once it is entered 3 times and locks up that you have to do this. It will need to be on with the ignition on but engine off, for about 30 to 60 minutes to reset. You will have to sit in it and wait or have it in a safe place. I believe its 1 hour to wait. Then you get 3 more trys.
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings, great link, thanks.

meyervw wrote:
Since its German I will bet once it is entered 3 times and locks up that you have to do this. It will need to be on with the ignition on but engine off, for about 30 to 60 minutes to reset. You will have to sit in it and wait or have it in a safe place. I believe its 1 hour to wait. Then you get 3 more trys.

I have never personally got to the point where I can enter a code, so I definitely haven't entered one incorrectly three times. Sad

The radio was working, had to disconnect the battery, and ever since its been in SAFE.
ccdn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much guys, its finally working!

User error (as usual), I wasn't pushing AM/FM, I was pushing the one below it, wasn't reading the labeling correct, nor using common sense it seems. There is only one scan button as well. Smile

Happy times!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: